HDHR Prime losing detected channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
gtb
Expert

HDHR Prime losing detected channels

Post by gtb »

HDHR Prime suddenly lost all detected channels.  From the DVR extracted logs, one can note that the number of channels from 117 to 0.

Code: Select all

20220113-08:17:31 Recording: 1310E0DE lineup request success (found 117 channels)
20220113-10:19:43 Recording: 1310E0DE lineup request success (found 0 channels)
The only thing in the device log(*) around that timeframe is:

20220113-10:08:50 System: myhdhomerun_sync: webclient error (dns failed)
20220113-10:13:30 System: myhdhomerun_sync: webclient error (dns failed)
which corresponded to a period of time when my cable/HSI provider was doing some maintenance and my modem rebooted due to losing sync

Jan 13 09:42:44 EdgeRouter-00 ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group WAN interface eth0 reachability changes to unreachable.
Jan 13 09:42:44 EdgeRouter-00 ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group WAN interface eth0 state changes to inactive.
Jan 13 09:58:25 EdgeRouter-00 kernel: eth0: Link down
Jan 13 10:19:54 EdgeRouter-00 kernel: eth0: 1000 Mbps Full duplex, port 16
Jan 13 10:21:05 EdgeRouter-00 ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group WAN interface eth0 reachability changes to reachable.
Jan 13 10:21:05 EdgeRouter-00 ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group WAN interface eth0 state changes to active.
I have recently done a "detect channels" and it looks like everything came back normal, but the device should, ideally, not have removed its entire map during that period of time of an outage.

My WAG is that it is possible that the device happened to do a background scan at the time that the cable was unavailable, and deleted the channels not available, but that is (of course) just a WAG.

Should SD wish to investigate why the channel map disappeared, the device id is (as shown above) 1310E0DE and diagnostics were active during that period. Even if this is an edge case, improving the results would be a possible benefit to others (as edge cases happen).

Thanks for your support.

(*) I seem to recall previously asked that the device logs be enhanced to report any time a channel is added/deleted/modified (either due to automated scans, or manual detect channels, or a CableCARD channel map update(**)), and if each individual channel would be too noisy, at least at the summary of the process, something like:

(background) scan started
    (background) scan completed.  nn channels unchanged, nn added, nn deleted, nn modified

(**) And if a channel is added/deleted/modified in any new cable map update, which should be able to be determined easily enough, queue a background check for those channel so that it shows up sooner than any automated background scan.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR Prime losing detected channels

Post by NedS »

No manual scans were triggered, right? This happened without any specific user action?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

NedS wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 pm No manual scans were triggered, right? This happened without any specific user action?
None that I performed (except after the fact, to "recover" my channels). As diagnostics for all tuners were on at all times, SD should be able to review those logs to validate what happened and the when.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Reverse reference link: viewtopic.php?p=381582#p381582