HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro: Suddenly Erratic Signal and Symbol Quality - FierceDeityLink

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
FierceDeityLink

HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro: Suddenly Erratic Signal and Symbol Quality - FierceDeityLink

Post by FierceDeityLink »

I've been having the same issues with my Connect Quatro all of a sudden. Maybe about a month ago, the symbol quality dropped to nothing on all but 1 channel. Signal strength/quality is fine on the expected channels. I bought the SiliconDust LTE filter from Amazon and installed it yesterday. Detected channels went down from ~100 to ~50 with no improvement in symbol quality. I will only receive audio with breakups and a frame of video occasionally.

The weird thing is, my HDHR Extend still works fine hooked up to the same distribution amplifier. I've tried changing cables, the ports, etc. The Extend doesn't seem negatively affected by the LTE filter. And the TVs hooked up to coaxial can still tune everything fine. I'm don't think my Quatro is dead, since it can still tune 1 channel (WAGA Digital: 27) and it scans for channels.

Edit: I plugged in my SDR, and it definitely seems over-amplified. So I guess my Winegard amplifier is messed up and I need less gain, but all the TVs and the Extend are okay with it for some reason.

Edit 2: nevermind, I had the offset turned up, so I guess it's just the Quatro that's acting up since everything else works. SDR on WAGA: Image

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro: Suddenly Erratic Signal and Symbol Quality - FierceDeityLink

Post by nickk »

Hi,

You post was at the end of another thread - I split it to a new thread so it doesn't get lost.

We can check the scan results - please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the HDHomeRun app settings menu, then run a channel scan, also in the settings menu. Once complete please post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

FierceDeityLink

Re: HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro: Suddenly Erratic Signal and Symbol Quality - FierceDeityLink

Hello and thanks for responding. I had submitted my logs with device 1070FE89 back when I was having the issue (if you can check around that date Jan 21, 2022), but it seems to have fixed itself for the most part. But I have noticed on occasion, it will exhibit the same behavior (good signal strength/quality but no symbol quality). Also on a fringe channel, it seems like my Extend gets much better symbol quality than then Quatro despite them both being connected to the same distribution amplifier. I haven't changed anything in my setup since I started having the issue. I can submit another diagnostic log if you want, or ones from both of my units.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Log data cycles out of our system after 10 days, so we would need new log data.

FierceDeityLink

jasonl wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:43 pm Log data cycles out of our system after 10 days, so we would need new log data.
Okay thanks, it started happening again, so I did a scan with send diagnostics on both of my devices:
1070FE89 (Quatro) - not working, high signal quality/strength but no symbol quality, scan detects some channels but none of them work other than sporadic audio
10562BB6 (Extend) - works fine

Tried swapping cables/ports. Also tunes fine on my TV.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

There's definitely something not right with the Quatro. I'm leaning towards a bad power supply, since that's what the logs look like, but it's weird that it only happens sporadically. Any chance you happen to have another power supply with the same connector that is exactly 5V and at least 1A?

FierceDeityLink

Alright I managed to find one that fits and is 5V/1.5A. It was working when I checked on it (with the original power supply), so I did another scan with the original power supply and another with the "new" one. And now I'm getting the same number of channels on the scan (76) so hopefully that fixed it. Thanks, I'll post back if it suddenly changes again.

Edit: actually now it's back to being low symbol quality again with some channels not coming in at all (30.1) and ones that usually have good signal (46.1) dropping symbol quality every now and then and the frames breaking up every few seconds.

Edit 2: nevermind I had mistakenly plugged it into the original power supply, but I found one that was 5V 1A and it seems like it's back to fully functioning again.