Recording DRM

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Garyr

Re: Recording DRM

Post by Garyr »

I am also still waiting for SD to allow recording of DRM cc channels along with the ability to play back those recordings on my other devices in the home.... This is how Windows Media Center originally worked.
I still use my Prime CC tuner with WMC 8.1 but the extenders (x-360) no longer will play back most of my DRM recordings ever since COX changed something last year. I can still record and watch and all my DRM channels on the main WMC 8.1 pc though.
Gary

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Garyr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm This is how Windows Media Center originally worked.
I still use my Prime CC tuner with WMC 8.1 but the extenders (x-360) no longer will play back most of my DRM recordings ever since COX changed something last year.
This sounds like the well known issue where (at least some) H.264 protected content cannot be played on an extender due to a hardware limitation (it could not be fixed in a software update, it was determined to be a hardware issue). It was first reported on Comcast systems years ago, but by the time it was reported it was already beyond the support period of the extenders, so Microsoft just punted (essentially "no longer our problem, out of support/warranty", which did not enamor MS support to anyone who had extenders that were now, essentially, electronic waste). That Cox may have just recently enabled the features/capabilities that cause the issue is not entirely surprising given that they tend not to be leaders in deployments of certain enhancements.

KingdomeCome

Post by KingdomeCome »

Garyr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm I am also still waiting for SD to allow recording of DRM cc channels along with the ability to play back those recordings on my other devices in the home.... This is how Windows Media Center originally worked.
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

I'd still like a 6 tuner Prime or at least another Prime I could buy, and I'd love to have DRM working. Where I am, most of the channels aren't DRM (knock on wood), but all the channels you pay extra for (eg, HBO) are. I just added a Chromebox to my bedroom with a screen. I plan on using it as a TV, but with only 3 channels allowed from my Prime, and a HT system that can record multiple channels at once, it's easy to run out of channels.

aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

Yes. That would have been sweet if they had released the six tuner/one cable card Prime. But, unfortunately, that will never happen now.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

aaronwt wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:22 pm Yes. That would have been sweet if they had released the six tuner/one cable card Prime. But, unfortunately, that will never happen now.
Especially when Comcast now offers FREE M-Cards !! And now know one can take advantage of it :(

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Rickt1962 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:58 am Especially when Comcast now offers FREE M-Cards !!
Depends on region. While Central (with S&E pricing) offers CableCARDs for free, not all regions are yet on S&E pricing.

aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

While at Verizon FiOS they just doubled the price of their cable cards. Now it is $10 a month. Although current cable card users keep the old price, until they make a cable card change.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

I would even take the ability to buy a 3-tuner version. I'd have to pay for two cards to set up both 3-tuner HD Homeruns, but that might not be bad.

We have an in law apartment, and my mother sadly passed away earlier this year. We might rent the apartment. But I've already ran network cable over there, and adding another 3-tuner would allow me to add Fire TV or whatever, and the person would have access to TV. When my mother was there, we were renting cable boxes, and they added another $20+/month to our bill. It doesn't take long to recover that using some kind of streaming stick.