Shield DVR Engine with Nvidia Experience 9 ?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ppasteur

Shield DVR Engine with Nvidia Experience 9 ?

Post by ppasteur »

Hi,
I am considering upgrading my Shields (2017 and 2019 Pro) to the latest Nvidia Experience 9 (Android 11). There have been problems reported with various apps being able to access storage with the update.
There is a hot fix that addresses this specifically for Plex, but I have seen nothing mentioning the HDHR record engine.
So the question is, has anyone done the upgrade on the Shield that is using the recording engine installed on the Shield and using external storage? If so, can you relate anything on any problems that you encountered?
If so, have you found a fix for them?
Just trying to decide whether I really want to go for the upgrade or not.
THX

Phil

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Shield DVR Engine with Nvidia Experience 9 ?

Post by nickk »

Internal or USB storage?

I plugged in my Shield - upgrading now...

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I upgraded last night. Didn't have time to give it a good run but the little I did, HD looked to be working fine so far.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

I am using an external HDD plugged into USB as removable storage.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

My quick test looks good.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Thanks Nickk. I appreciate you checking it out. I will circle back once I have installed the update and post my results.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

I upgraded my Shield 2017 to the latest Experience 9 (Android 11) and I am having problems. I am using an external USB hard drive for my recordings.

I've noticed the channels are stuttering as though I'm getting a degraded signal from the antenna. Sometimes the image quality looks slightly worse than normal. It also appears on some channels that the motion is off. Lots of dropped frames.

This seems to be only occurring on the Shield TV itself. If I stream to another device like my phone or to my LG TV which runs Web OS (using the HDHomerun app) then everything looks fine.

I should also note that I am using the record service on my Shield as it is my DVR server.

My hardware ID for my Connect Quatro is 10733C95.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

I made a quick recording to show some of the poor performance I'm seeing on the Shield. The first 1:25 is the Shield, the remainder is from my tv's Web OS. The Shield TV is clearly under performing after the Shield's latest firmware update.

https://youtu.be/1GEu8UrwWuU

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

It looks like Android 11 is directing all disk access thorough a fuse filesystem. It is possible that this is too slow to be useful.

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the HDHomeRun app, play a recording for 10 minutes, then post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Are you confident that this is a result of the upgrade?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I missed your Device ID above - logs show significant disk performance issues.

I will talk with Nvidia on Monday.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

I see you got my device ID from my previous response and saw disk performance is not great. I did watch a recording for 10 minutes and that played perfectly fine. I'll make a recording while watching live TV and see what happens during playback. I think up to 30 seconds should do. I just got to be careful about what content I record because of copyrights.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

Here's another video I took. This time is live playback vs. Recorded playback on the Shield. As I said, I don't seen to see this bad performance on other devices, only on the Shield.

https://youtu.be/rBuHs8ljeio

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

I may stand corrected here. I saw a bit of stutter during live playback on my Chromebook. Recordings still playback fine though.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Phoenixfury - the disk performance is so bad that some of your recordings are failing.

It could be that there is a problem with your USB drive, although the problem could also be due to things are going through fuse on the Shield. I am running tests here to figure out more.

Nick