Channels alternative for multiple hdhomerun primes

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
koch454

Channels alternative for multiple hdhomerun primes

Post by koch454 »

I currently have 7 HDHomerun Prime devices. The application I use to watch the streams is called Tivimate. This is traditionally an IPTV application but my main use for it is the multiview. (multiple streams on a single tv) Now I currently use the channels dvr server as almost a broker for the 7 devices. It is able to group all of my devices and export an M3U file to import into Tivimate. Then as tuners are used on a device it will move to the next available device. So for example, if I want to put four channels on at once from one device it requires 2 primes because each has a limit of 3 streams While channels has been great paying $7 a month for this is a bit expensive. I've been trying to find out if Plex, Kodi, Emby, Jellyfin, etc have this functionality.

HDHomerun Devices ----> Channels DVR Server -----> M3U export of channels from server ----> Tivimate

rpcameron

Re: Channels alternative for multiple hdhomerun primes

Post by rpcameron »

You can give Tvheadend a try. I believe my patch to allow the use of virtual channel numbers with the Prime is still in mainline. Otherwise, you need to use separate playlists to feed Tvheadend from the Primes.

mark198
Device ID: 131190C4, 1311DB6B, 10A015C9

Post by mark198 »

I also use Tivimate with multiple primes. I use xTeVe to serve up the m3u and EPG.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

I'm wondering:

If there is interest in maintaining the Prime with Tvheadend, I might be willing to flesh out its barely-there native support. This would include two options: using the tuner's native channel scan/lineup to create a list of channels and pre-populate them, or to go the classic/TiVo route and read the CableCard and populate the channel list with the full selection of channels. The latter would be better, as it would allow for using/tuning channels that the tuner's background scans disable because of timeouts or other issues (which everyone wishes were able to be disabled/configured), but it would introduce initial setup problems because of having to manually select which channels to present.

I still have a Prime that I haven't sold off yet, so I might be able to be convinced to pursue this avenue ... if there's interest.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

rpcameron wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:40 pm I still have a Prime that I haven't sold off yet, so I might be able to be convinced to pursue this avenue ... if there's interest.
I'm interested. It took me several hours to make .m3u files for my two Prime lineups and get them configured in tvheadend.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Thank you for the acknowledgement. But you do realize that most likely it would have to be a script run outside of TVH that populated the entries .. at least initially.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

rpcameron wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:04 pm Thank you for the acknowledgement. But you do realize that most likely it would have to be a script run outside of TVH that populated the entries .. at least initially.
That's ok with me.