Minor Question Using Static IP Address

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Goodspike

Minor Question Using Static IP Address

Post by Goodspike »

I switched my HDHR Flex 4k from being connected to my system through a router to being connected directly to the Windows PC I use for DVR recordings so that the recordings would be less affected by power outages (the DVR computer is a notebook and the tuner is on a UPS device). Per the FAQ page I set the IP address of the network adaptor to 169.254.1.x (with X being a 9 FWTIW) and turned off flow control. The turner is found, ChannelsDVR can view and record and the MyHd app also works fine.

When connected through the router I was able to go to the HDHR channel lineup by entering the IP address of the DVR computer and adding /lineup.html in a browser That no longer works with the 169.254.1.x address even on the DVR computer, but channelsDVR setting page is reporting the IP address of the tuner as a different 169.254.x.x address and using that address in a browser with /lineups does bring up the information I want (the channels lineup).

Here's the question. Is there a way to call up that channel information local HTML page from a remote computer? Basically in a browser specify the IP address of the DVR computer and then the IP address of the HDHR tuner on that computer, with the /lineups.html tag so that I don't have to go to the DRV computer to see that page?

jasonl
Expert

Re: Minor Question Using Static IP Address

Post by jasonl »

On the laptop, switch the ethernet back to DHCP, then bridge the network connections (right click on Start menu, Network Connections, Change adapter options, highlight the ethernet adapter and the one that connects to the rest of the network, right click, Bridge Connections). This will basically make your PC act as a switch that connects both it and the HDHomeRun to the rest of the network. The PC and HDHomeRun should each get an IP assigned from your router, so you can set up a DHCP reservation in the router so the HDHomeRun always ends up on the same IP (192.168.1.115 or whatever), and you can access that from the laptop or anything else on the network.

Goodspike

Post by Goodspike »

So a static IP address is no longer required? I looked up those instructions because I had to do that probably over 15 years ago with an older HDHR device. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Just want to make sure though--if my wireless network goes down, it will still record to the computer the HDHR device is connected to, right? The direct connection to the PC is being done to avoid power outages or other network outages affecting OTA recordings. Unfortunately my mesh network goes down if the gateway loses power, even if two devices (e.g. HDHR and DVR PC) are connected by Ethernet to the same pod.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Sounds to me like you need a different mesh system and personally I would make sure dvr and tuner are wired to your network and that same ups for the tuner would also back up the switch used to create the wired network and I would suggest it also back up that flaky gateway. But if that is why, attach a switch to the "pod" and make sure there is sufficient lease time to cover such power outages (at least double your expected longest outage as it should renew at half that)

Though I highly recommend things involving the HDHR be all on the same network, thus following jasonl's plan, if you wish to do it the way you are currently doing so, I wouldn't use the apipa address and make a new subnet for the ethernet interface (i.e. if your router supplies a 192.168.0.0/24 network make the new ip of that ethernet port 192.168.1.1/24 ... and install a dhcp server on that laptop to provide addresses for that range and such would even allow dhcp reservation to maintain a "static" ip for the hdhr.

Goodspike

Post by Goodspike »

I'm happy with the mesh router system, but am disappointed that if the gateway pod loses power that the wired network connection between two devices is lost on a remote pod. Not sure why that connection gets lost, but a lot of mesh systems don't even have two ethernet connections on each remote pod. It's somewhat amazing to me how many IOT devices require a wired connection.

But yes, I have the gateway pod and modem on the same UPS. By direct connecting the HDHR to the laptop the second UPS is only powering the HDHR (laptop is just on battery), so it should last several hours which is more than enough since I have backup power options (Tri-fuel generators, battery "generators," etc.).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

If that is the case and the HDHR is losing it's ip because of it, it sounds like the port is being dropped (even if only temporary) or possibly the pod is acting as another dhcp server with wrong data (unlikely since it was using apipa). If you use a switch the switch's ports will remain up (with the exception of the one connected to the pod) and the HDHR will maintain its ip until the lease time expires. I would make sure lease time is twice as long as what you expect such to remain down that way there won't be renewal issues (you may need to play with it a bit as the "pod" may provide its own dhcp if not connected to the main one and the idea is not have the hdhr renew its ip while there is such a disconnect. Make sure the switch is on the ups as well and make sure its a good one as that may also be the source of the problems depending on how the ups works (always providing power vs switching to battery and in rereading your issue, it may be that in fact the HDHR is losing power thus needs to renew ip thus picked up that new apipa address. But I still would look on putting a DHCP server in the path that remains "up" during that power outage if you want "static" ip (even if you still decide on connecting it to laptop, put a dhcp server (software/service) on the laptop to hand out an ip address to the HDHR).

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

Goodspike wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 am I'm happy with the mesh router system, but am disappointed that if the gateway pod loses power that the wired network connection between two devices is lost on a remote pod.
TBH it depends on what system you're using.
Some 'Pods' don't actually have a true switch on them, but 2 ports off an internal chip with a software switch.. The software switch can operate independently - but there are some that don't.
To re-iterate from @signcarver - put a true switch off one of the connected ports and you should be good until the devices IP address expires.. Devices renew lease time at 1/2 the time you configure in the gateway's DHCP server - so if you set to say 6hrs (21600 seconds) and the power goes at 2hrs 59mins.. it will try to renew at hour 3 and still keep the lease until hour 6.
Not sure why that connection gets lost, but a lot of mesh systems don't even have two ethernet connections on each remote pod. It's somewhat amazing to me how many IOT devices require a wired connection.
Bad requirements from the Mesh vendor to the programmers is why :(
And if you're using Comcast/Cox Pod - yep... they are designed to 100% not work without being connect to a gateway. so if your gateway connection drops, it stops operating.
But yes, I have the gateway pod and modem on the same UPS. By direct connecting the HDHR to the laptop the second UPS is only powering the HDHR (laptop is just on battery), so it should last several hours which is more than enough since I have backup power options (Tri-fuel generators, battery "generators," etc.).
Am confused.. if you have BOTH the gateway and the remote 'Pods' on UPS they shouldn't lose connectivity.
Only if the UPS drops power for some reason.
Which could be the UPS type - make sure is Line Interactive or Online (most expensive) and not Offline/Standby which drops power for a few milliseconds to switch over.
Or input voltage drops too far - particularly bad for Offline/Standby as each time it drops it takes milliseconds for the switch to occur.
Or the battery is unable to maintain the peak voltages for the sine wave causing drop out of the devices.
UPS batteries don't last forever - ~4yrs for me in AZ. would recommend to use UPS's that have a self test and indicator so you know before a power outage that the battery needs replacing (oh - and I recommend get a UPS that has replaceable batteries ;))

Goodspike

Post by Goodspike »

"Am confused.. if you have BOTH the gateway and the remote 'Pods' on UPS they shouldn't lose connectivity."

Correct. I only discovered this issue because I needed/wanted to relocate the gateway pod, and I did that during a recording not knowing I would lose the connection on the remote pod. Both were on two separate UPS devices, so if connected to the remote pod the recording would stop when the first UPS gives up the ghost. Connecting the HDHR straight to the laptop means that the recording will continue until either the laptop goes to sleep due to low power, or the UPS running only the HDHR runs out of power (that UPS no longer powers the remote pod). Which is first would probably depend on what the laptop is doing over time.