Recordings all end up garbled until HDHR hardware is restarted - tachtevrenidis

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: Recordings all end up garbled until HDHR hardware is restarted

Post by nickk »

Checking, is the D drive a local disk?

Also checking why is the PC 100Mbit - that is unusual...

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

nickk wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:14 pm Checking, is the D drive a local disk?

All disks are local. The pc is a older laptop hence the 100Mbps. That part has been working well for many years.

K

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

couple of more data points. On any given test session that I conduct, I can set three shows to record at the same time, flip back and forth between them, it all seems good. Also when three shows are recording, the max the network util gets on the laptop is 15Mbps (out of 100Mbps). CPU never spikes above 20% (nothing else runs there, old windows 7 machine).

Unsure why it works fine sometimes (for hours) and then something snaps and I end up in garbled video land!

fyi

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

is there a different way to get support?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

tachtevrenidis wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:47 am

You can try opening a support ticket by emailing support@silicondust.com or visiting https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/ ; [removed by moderator]

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

rpcameron wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:47 am
tachtevrenidis wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:47 am

You can try opening a support ticket by emailing support@silicondust.com or visiting https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/ ; [removed by moderator]
done!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Reviewing logs again...

Minor - the clock on this PC is out by 12m16s. The HDHomeRun DVR automatically compensates so recordings are on time but apps will report the wrong time.

I found a spot in the logs where everything was working perfectly with 2 recordings, then at exactly 4am UTC time one recording ended and the PC or network started having problems - the throughput dropped to ~70kbps causing the HDHomeRun to have to drop data. No issues receiving the cable TV stream at this time and no issues writing to disk at this time.

All I can think of is maybe some other app or service maxed out the Ethernet link at that time.

Does the laptop have USB 3.0 ports? If yes, suggest buying a Gigabit (1000Mbs) USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter.
Another option might be to move the DVR engine to a NAS box or use a HDHomeRun SERVIO so the recordings don't rely on the laptop.

Nick

jasonl
Expert

Re: Recordings all end up garbled until HDHR hardware is restarted - tachtevrenidis

Post by jasonl »

Too lazy to read back through the thread to see if this was covered, but did you ever try switching back to the old router just to rule out the new router being stupid and broken? TP-Link stuff is usually pretty well behaved, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Even big name brands have screwed up handling of mixed speed networks before despite it being a basic part of various ethernet specifications.

tachtevrenidis

Re: Recordings all end up garbled until HDHR hardware is restarted - tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

jasonl wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:15 pm Too lazy to read back through the thread to see if this was covered, but did you ever try switching back to the old router just to rule out the new router being stupid and broken? TP-Link stuff is usually pretty well behaved, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Even big name brands have screwed up handling of mixed speed networks before despite it being a basic part of various ethernet specifications.
thanks for this Jason. For a while, I have been playing with QoS settings on the TP link router but can't say anything I tried helped. When I have the network activity running on the laptop PC, it eventually shows an unexpected drop in traffic (https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anj3gd88CLeNhLoeKE6f0-12F9KZuA). I can't explain that.

Anyway so this is starting to look like a router issue although trying to troubleshoot this with TPlink is going to be a laborious affair. What I am trying now is bringing back the old router (that netgear router + laptop pc + hdhr prime have been running solid for 5+ years) but as a bridge and isolating the laptop and hdhr traffic to it (those are the only things that are plugged into it). If that does not work then I will actually turn on the DHCP server on the netgear and do NAT on that to further isolate (currently the tp link router is the dhcp server that keeps track of all the devices).

You would not think getting a new router would be a big deal but here we are!

K

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Suggest buying a cheap 8-port GigE switch. Plug everything into the 8-port switch and then plug the switch into one port of the router. That was the router is only involved when there is Wifi traffic.

Nick

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

nickk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:17 pm Suggest buying a cheap 8-port GigE switch. Plug everything into the 8-port switch and then plug the switch into one port of the router. That was the router is only involved when there is Wifi traffic.

Nick
Nick,

essentially this is what I am doing. Utilizing the old router as a simple switch (wireless is turned off). So far so good, but every time i think i figured it out, I am humbled again!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

tachtevrenidis wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:49 pm
nickk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:17 pm Suggest buying a cheap 8-port GigE switch. Plug everything into the 8-port switch and then plug the switch into one port of the router. That was the router is only involved when there is Wifi traffic.
essentially this is what I am doing. Utilizing the old router as a simple switch (wireless is turned off). So far so good, but every time i think i figured it out, I am humbled again!
I would still replace it with a simple switch if you can - sub $20 fix.

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis »

nickk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:48 pm
tachtevrenidis wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:49 pm
I would still replace it with a simple switch if you can - sub $20 fix.
I think the new router was the issue. For some reason TP-link deprioritizes the traffic after a while. I have not been able to pinpoint why this happens.

Sad...