ATSC 3.0: Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Dadrepus

Re: ATSC 3.0: Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD

Post by Dadrepus »

New to this forum. Joined today. Is it worth it for me to buy HDHR ATSC 3 tuner at this point, I've in Columbia Md. Currently run antenna/w rotor with HDHR Extend through Plex. I would add the new tuner to the mix.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

If you want to experiment with new technology or are planning to purchase something anyway and want to be ready for possible future changes, then yes. If you just want to watch TV, then no.

Trip

Post by Trip »

WDCN-LD is up and running with 3.0. Looks like a dead carrier though; I've produced a debug capture of it (427MB) and also sent a note to the station to advise them that I can't see their programming.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UYWrsQ ... sp=sharing

(Nick, please let me know once you have it so I can delete it from my Drive.)

- Trip

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Trip wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:14 am WDCN-LD is up and running with 3.0. Looks like a dead carrier though; I've produced a debug capture of it (427MB) and also sent a note to the station to advise them that I can't see their programming.
Thanks for the capture.

The broadcast seems to be broken.
1) There are some IPv4 packets being sent to 192.168.0.4 (not multicast) and protocol 253 (invalid). These packets are being blocked by the HDHomeRun firewall code.
2) The broadcast doesn't seem to have any LLS data.

I haven't looked deeper than LLS.

Are there multiple PLPs?

Nick

joblo

Post by joblo »

nickk wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:11 pm
Trip wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:14 am WDCN-LD is up and running with 3.0. Looks like a dead carrier though; I've produced a debug capture of it (427MB) and also sent a note to the station to advise them that I can't see their programming.
Are there multiple PLPs?
No.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/washin ... t-61076814

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/washin ... t-61079366

Trip

Post by Trip »

It appears they've fixed it now. Thanks for the analysis. I sent it to the station even though they'd already fixed it, just in case they don't know *why* it was fixed. (Because the comment back to me was that the "HDHomeRun was not detecting the HEVC signal without a plugin," which is nonsense.)

- Trip

captain_video

Post by captain_video »

Got my ATSC 3.0 channels set up in Channels DVR with the HDHomeRun Connect 4K for the Baltimore stations. I set up several season passes on WNUV (ch 154.1), WBAL (ch 111.1), and WMAR (ch 102.1). So far the picture quality pretty much sucks on a couple of the channels. I recorded the Sunday night football game on NBC and there were artifacts that I can only describe as sparklies around the edge of the players during any fast motion. I recorded The Blacklist the other day and it actually looked pretty good, although not really much better than the regular picture quality on channel 11.1. I recorded The Good Doctor on ABC last night and one entire segment between commercial breaks was completely unwatchable due to severe pixelation and image washout. I recorded Stargirl and Supergirl on The CW tonight and the picture was terrible and barely better than standard definition. Clearly these channels are still in the development stage and not ready for prime time (both literally and figuratively). I realize the rollout for actual ATSC 3.0 broadcasts won't happen for a while yet, but what I'm seeing so far has been a disappointment. I hope things improve in the near future.

KevinM

Post by KevinM »

Looks like we have a launch date for the DC major network affiliates (WHUT, WJLA, WTTG, WUSA, and WRC) on ATSC 3.0 which will be transmitted by WHUT. December 15th. This website had previously given a non-specific "October" launch timeframe, which came and went, but now we have a specific date.

https://www.whut.org/nextgentv