Win7 WMC - Added RAM, Broke DRM

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Win7 WMC - Added RAM, Broke DRM

Post by Ken.F »

The other day I installed a second stick of RAM in my old Win7-64 HTPC. Everything seemed to be working fine. Last night I tried to play a DRM recording for the first time since installing the memory and I got an error message. I tried playing a DRM protected channel live and got the exact same error message. Non-DRM recordings and live channels play fine.

Copying Prohibited
The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded.

I can understand getting that error for DRM recordings but that message makes no sense for live TV. Is there any way to fix this without having to set up WMC from scratch again? I'm not worried about losing any old DRM protected recordings, it's manually setting the priority of 12 tuners on 200+ channels that I want to avoid.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Win7 WMC - Added RAM, Broke DRM

Post by jasonl »

Only changing the motherboard, CPU, or HDD should break DRM, not just adding memory, so that is a little odd.

You can do a DRM reset without redoing the TV setup. Steps 1-4 and 12-18 at https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vi ... php?t=3760 should do it. The ResetDRM program isn't needed most of the time, and the link to download it is broken since Microsoft redid their site. This reset will remove any possibility of accessing your old recordings, for anyone else who happens across this.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

jasonl wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:59 pm You can do a DRM reset without redoing the TV setup. Steps 1-4 and 12-18 at...
Thanks Jason. That mostly worked. :)
I followed those instructions but when I got to the part where I go to settings> TV> TV Signal there was no option to update PlayReady. I tried playing a few channels but they all failed with a no tuner found message. Feeling defeated I just closed WMC and everything else and rebooted the PC into my normal non-administrator user account. I launched WMC again just to make sure everything was broken for that user account too. To my surprise everything was working again. I could play DRM channels live as well as create and play new DRM recordings. My old DRM recordings still did not play but none of them were important so I just deleted them.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 »

For anyone else stumbling on this, I have provided ResetDRM on my website at https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html. I extracted the CleanDRM.exe file and created a cmd script to handle all the steps outlined on the greenbutton forum to make it easier.