HDHomeRun Prime and VLAN

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
smartypants1138

HDHomeRun Prime and VLAN

Post by smartypants1138 »

Hello -

I have my HDHR in a VLAN environment. When I'm on the same network as my HDHR, I can stream TV w/out issue.

However, when I'm on a different network and attempt to stream TV from my Android phone, the app finds the tuners (based on the status on the lower/left side of the screen), but then won't stream TV. I can see the guide on the side of the screen, but no TV. So, I'm looking for instructions on what I need to configure in my network.

Thank you in advance!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun Prime and VLAN

Post by signcarver »

Do you have a dvr engine anywhere? What is strange is that it detects it which being on another vlan typically won't and if you need such you are better off not using an app that needs everything detected to work and can be configured manually. But since it does detect it we need to figure out if it is detecting an engine and/or if it is detecting the tuners through an alternative method (though typically detection is based on broadcast discovery (and there are ways get those broadcasts across vlans that work with some clients) but there is also "dlna" discovery that can work on some platforms (i.e. the Android app on a chrome book often needs to do such because of how it sandboxes things). But I have a feeling since the devices are discovered that this is an issue of discovering the engine and thus it is used but either the engine can't find the tuners or can't communicate back to the client.

smartypants1138

Thank you for getting back to me signcarver. I don't have a DVR in the mix. I do have a firewall rule between VLANs, and if I disable it, I can watch from any network. I tried allowing the HDHR MAC through the rule, no luck. Same for allowing the IP address through. I would agree that it does seem that tuners can't get back to the client. Since I can see the guide and I can even configure settings from the app (e.g. configure access to new features), even while TV is blocked.

smartypants1138

Thanks again for getting back to me signcarver, your post helped me think about traffic flow, which prompted me to realize I configured my firewall rule backwards. I need traffic from HDHR to get back to the client. I changed it and now all is good.