Live TV crashing on Xbox Series X

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
HomeRunChap

Live TV crashing on Xbox Series X

Post by HomeRunChap »

1230A173 Connect
App Version 20211005 (1.1.327.70)
Firmware 20210624

Since yesterday (23rd Oct) experiencing the following problem with trying to was live TV via my HDHomeRun on an Xbox Series X.

App fires up into live TV but when changing channel by cycling through the up/down thumbnails video will crash out (audio remaining) with one of the following messages being displayed on screen

“This device does not support H264ES video required to play this channel/recording”
“This device does not support video - Screen turned off?”

Any ideas?

Thanks.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Live TV crashing on Xbox Series X

Post by nickk »

The first message is the problem - “This device does not support H264ES video required to play this channel/recording”.
Do some channels work and some channels don't? Or is it random on channel change?

The second error “This device does not support video - Screen turned off?” is a miss-report because the HDHomeRun app does not support software decoding HEVC.

Nick

HomeRunChap

Post by HomeRunChap »

All channels seem to work, its crashes when bringing up the overlay/thumbnails of the other channels when browsing to change.

Although saying that the only thing I've done out of the norm the last few days is preform a rescan of channels.

aseigler

Post by aseigler »

Came to report the same issue, Xbox app crashing in live TV scrolling through the channels suddenly with “This device does not support video - Screen turned off?”. There are some channels that I have never seen before so a rescan must have happened, I didn't initiate it myself. Orlando area.

Hardware Model HDHR5-4K
Firmware Version 20210624

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

aseigler wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:22 pm Came to report the same issue, Xbox app crashing in live TV scrolling through the channels suddenly with “This device does not support video - Screen turned off?”. There are some channels that I have never seen before so a rescan must have happened, I didn't initiate it myself. Orlando area.
XBox Series X?

aseigler

Post by aseigler »

Yes, exactly. Started yesterday, very consistently reproducible.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The error comes from the system HEVC codec on the XBox... wonder if MS broke something with an update...

HomeRunChap

Post by HomeRunChap »

What would be the next steps in confirming if its an MS side issue or not?

App is pretty much unusable in the current state now. :(

ryanesp

Post by ryanesp »

I've been having these same issues as well. Started happening with the recent xbox update on my Series X.

aseigler

Post by aseigler »

HomeRunChap wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:36 am What would be the next steps in confirming if its an MS side issue or not?

Workaround I have been using is once the error pops up, keep navigating to the channel you wanted and start it, even though the screen stays black. Then bounce to Xbox home screen and start HDHomeRun again. It's a PITA but it's been working reasonably well for me.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

HomeRunChap wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:36 am What would be the next steps in confirming if its an MS side issue or not?

We'll know more in a couple of days. Nick is looking into it, and we'll probably reach out to Microsoft, if they don't already know about this. I hear they're actually pretty responsive when app developers reach out to them, unlike some other companies (*cough*roku*cough*).

guerrillataktix

Post by guerrillataktix »

I have the same issue and it seems to have begun with the latest xbox series x update. The other device, an xbox one, works fine.

HomeRunChap

Post by HomeRunChap »

Any update on this, have MS acknowledged the issue?

Thanks

California

Post by California »

It seems to be related to the 4k dashboard update. The overlay of channels must tap the new video update on the dashboard which is where the problem comes in. App goes unresponsive and then responds with audio only or crashes the app and in some cases can lock the console. If I set the xbox SX to anything lower than 4k video output HomeRun app seems to work fine. The other work around mentioned also works but is painful.

HomeRunChap

Post by HomeRunChap »

California wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:49 am It seems to be related to the 4k dashboard update. The overlay of channels must tap the new video update on the dashboard which is where the problem comes in. App goes unresponsive and then responds with audio only or crashes the app and in some cases can lock the console. If I set the xbox SX to anything lower than 4k video output HomeRun app seems to work fine. The other work around mentioned also works but is painful.
That sounds spot on, wonder if the app needs updating in this case.

Given up with the workaround, as you say its too painful.