Since installation, plague of "privacy errors" in Chrome

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
purplearth

Since installation, plague of "privacy errors" in Chrome

Post by purplearth »

I have a home network that has seen a sudden plague of "privacy errors" in Chrome on every Mac on the network. Most of the errors are "NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID", but resetting the date has no effect. Most affected sites work OK on Firefox, and iOS devices (running iOS Safari) seem unaffected. We have no Windows devices, as our network is a Micro$oft Free Zone.

Another data point is that most affected sites (but not all) are the type that get certificates thru Lets Encrypt. Major sites that pay the big bucks for their own cert seem to be unaffected.

I bring this up here because the onset of these issues closely coincides with the installation of a HDHomeRun CONNECT on our network. I've read elsewhere on these forums that the device makes regular contact with the SD mothership, and that other users have had problems discovering devices in Chrome since a recent Chrome upgrade (same here).

Every troubleshooting link I followed offered solutions that didn't work or didn't make sense. Having the same issue on a specific browser on every computer on the network seems to be outside the scope of what Google (the search engine, not the browser developer) has to offer.

Is it possible that our HDHR device is generating some sort of chatter on our network that makes Chrome unhappy with the certs of half the sites on the web?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights, suggestions, and even moral support.

tropho23

Re: Since installation, plague of "privacy errors" in Chrome

Post by tropho23 »

purplearth wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:30 pm I have a home network that has seen a sudden plague of "privacy errors" in Chrome on every Mac on the network. Most of the errors are "NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID", but resetting the date has no effect. Most affected sites work OK on Firefox, and iOS devices (running iOS Safari) seem unaffected. We have no Windows devices, as our network is a Micro$oft Free Zone.

Another data point is that most affected sites (but not all) are the type that get certificates thru Lets Encrypt. Major sites that pay the big bucks for their own cert seem to be unaffected.

I bring this up here because the onset of these issues closely coincides with the installation of a HDHomeRun CONNECT on our network. I've read elsewhere on these forums that the device makes regular contact with the SD mothership, and that other users have had problems discovering devices in Chrome since a recent Chrome upgrade (same here).

Every troubleshooting link I followed offered solutions that didn't work or didn't make sense. Having the same issue on a specific browser on every computer on the network seems to be outside the scope of what Google (the search engine, not the browser developer) has to offer.

Is it possible that our HDHR device is generating some sort of chatter on our network that makes Chrome unhappy with the certs of half the sites on the web?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights, suggestions, and even moral support.
Check this website for a few things to look for: https://geeksadvice.com/fix-net-err-cer ... lid-error/

I doubt the issue has anything to do with the HDHR device and it's likely the timing is coincidental.

Good luck!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Not related to the HDHomeRun.

The Let's Encrypt root certificate expired recently:
https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-root-c ... mber-2021/

purplearth

Post by purplearth »

tropho23 offered a link that was all the same stuff I've tried already.

nickk's link didn't fix it (ironically, I had to force my way past privacy errors to get there), but it led me down the right path. Let's Encrypt did indeed expire on September 1, and our HDHR came online a few days later.

Given that it took me weeks of fruitless searches to get to a happy place, I have to wonder how mere mortals deal with this crap. At any rate, in case anyone else comes here looking to solve this issue, here's a link to the thread that got this fixed:
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/cer ... /161231/53

Look for posts by user named Ella.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Ugh, please stop using Macs running El Capitan to browse the internet. There are enough unpatched vulnerabilities in that old stuff to gain system level access just by visiting the wrong web page, allowing for installation of keyloggers to record everything you type in (passwords, etc.), access to your keychain (any passwords you have saved), all the way to up to completely bricking the computer by trashing the firmware.