Running HDHomeRun offline without Internet for short periods

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
drbatch

Running HDHomeRun offline without Internet for short periods

Post by drbatch »

There have been multiple times when my Internet connection has gone down that I would like to continue viewing previously recorded shows. However, HDHome run fails to run without the Internet connection. I believe that this is because you check for Guide and License via the Internet. But to view previously recorded material for a day or so while the Internet is down should not be a restriction.

In addition, if a temporary license copy that is only valid for a day or so would also allow recording over the air based on the last know Guide.

Some or all of these "offline" features would be appreciated when the Internet suddenly drops out.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: Running HDHomeRun offline without Internet for short periods

Post by ebo »

I've never used SiliconDust's recording app so I don't know if other media players can play its recordings but it's worth a try. There are quite a few alternative programs that can record from an HDHomeRun tuner and they or other programs can play the recordings without an Internet connection. The one I use, CW_EPG, only records; it doesn't play back, but the recordings are just standard transport streams and there are many media players that can play them. CW_EPG only needs an Internet connection for a minute or two each day to download the latest schedule from Schedules Direct. That's currently an 18 day schedule, so if the Internet connection is down it will still record your shows for up to 18 days (assuming your shows don't get rescheduled during that time).

walkerx

Post by walkerx »

not sure how you are recording or what device you are watching on, but you can easily watch recordings using another player

My DVR is on a linux based system and I can browse to the folder where everything is recorded via a network connection and watch using a media player for the device I'm on.

mackulla

Post by mackulla »

drbatch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:38 pm There have been multiple times when my Internet connection has gone down that I would like to continue viewing previously recorded shows. However, HDHome run fails to run without the Internet connection. I believe that this is because you check for Guide and License via the Internet. But to view previously recorded material for a day or so while the Internet is down should not be a restriction.

In addition, if a temporary license copy that is only valid for a day or so would also allow recording over the air based on the last know Guide.

Some or all of these "offline" features would be appreciated when the Internet suddenly drops out.
When you set up the HD, you set up a storage location, and those recordings can be played with almost any player.

tropho23

Post by tropho23 »

That's fine if you store recordings elsewhere on your network, but if you use the HDHomeRun DVR you can't directly access recordings.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The HDHomeRun DVR software will create a web interface where all recordings can be accessed directly. Using the IP address and port number, you can figure out the URL. For example, my local NAS is on 10.0.0.141, and my DVR is configured to use port 59090, so the address I would use is:

http://10.0.0.141:59090

Then you can copy links and paste them into an app such as VLC.

I will also ask Nick what the status is on enabling DVR for DLNA/UPnP.

drbatch

Post by drbatch »

I don't understand where you get the "port".

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I strongly suggest if it is a computer or nas making the recordings to set the port that way you know it. SD's recording hardware (servio, scribe, flex) will use port 80 so you don't even need to type it.

The port won't change if set but will most likely change if not and the recording device reboots but unless the engine restarts it will remain the same and you can look it up at my.hdhomerun.com/discover

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

drbatch wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:26 pm I don't understand where you get the "port".
It depends on how the DVR is set up. I'm trying to think of a good/easy way for people to find this information out. I guess you could use this URL:

https://my.hdhomerun.com/discover

However, that won't work when you're offline, so you would need to bookmark the NAS web UI beforehand.

Various scanning utilities might expose the port, as well as knowing where the dvr config file is and looking at that, but again, not always an easy thing to remember when one is offline.

Short term, a good option might be to expose recordings via DLNA/UPnP. Long term, better offline mode for the normal HDHomeRun app.

tropho23

Post by tropho23 »

NedS wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:06 pm The HDHomeRun DVR software will create a web interface where all recordings can be accessed directly. Using the IP address and port number, you can figure out the URL. For example, my local NAS is on 10.0.0.141, and my DVR is configured to use port 59090, so the address I would use is:

http://10.0.0.141:59090

Then you can copy links and paste them into an app such as VLC.

I will also ask Nick what the status is on enabling DVR for DLNA/UPnP.
I had no idea, thanks! I didn't even need to specify a port, port 80 (default, no need to specify it) brought me right to the web interface.

drbatch

Post by drbatch »

Thanks Ned! This worked! I now have a link to allow me offline access. Actually, it also works even with or without the internet connected.
Another forum participant, ebo, also suggested that I use a different recording program, CW_EPG, that does not require a constant Internet
connection.
It would be nice if HDHomeRun did all this by itself but I guess the patchwork will work until then.

Thanks again.