Help with System Design

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mrjaekin

Help with System Design

Post by mrjaekin »

Hello all! I'm looking at getting a HomeRun Flex 4k (HDHR5-4K)but have a few questions. Here is my plan:

I purchased an Antennas Direct Clearstream 4V antenna and will mount it in my attic. Unfortunately I can't mount it outside because of HOA rules. The plan is to run that coax from the antenna to my primary bedroom on the second floor where I will have one of the ATSC 3 Flex 4k boxes. I will also run an Ethernet cable to this box as well.

My understanding is these boxes have wifi? My issue is my main living room TV. The TV is mounted on an exterior wall above the fireplace with no coax on that wall. Can I put the other ATSC 3 Flex 4k box at this TV and stream OTA channels via wifi over the local network from the other box on my primary room TV? When it says it comes with 4 tuners, is that 4 boxes, or 4 tuners in one box? Do I just download the app on the living room TV to stream?

stuartm

Re: Help with System Design

Post by stuartm »

The Flex does not have Wifi only an ethernet port. All 4 tuners are in the same box you only get 1 box. You will need some other device to connect to your TV to actiully play the tuned channels that the Flex will stream over your home network. e.g. Roku or Amazon Fire Tv.

jxxaxxy

Post by jxxaxxy »

The Flex 4k only has ethernet connection. AKA hardwire. If you run a network cable to the 4k flex. You can use other devices to access it. Some Tvs have a build in app. If your tv is old and slow you can get other devices like Apple TV 4k, Roku, nvidia shield, Amazon Firestick and so on. You just plug them into an hdmi port on your tv and use that to access your Flex 4 k box.

The box itself is not wifi. You can use wifi devices on your network to access the Flex 4k box via your router or access point.

You can use other software like Plex and Channels DVR software to have TV Guide and what not (Both not free options) and or silicondust software.

So many options. But the Flex 4k is a hardwire Ethernet connection only.

mrjaekin

Post by mrjaekin »

Great info, thanks guys! This clears everything up. I'll run the antenna RG6 and an Ethernet cable to the Flex 4k and then access it through the Roku boxes I have on both TVs. Thanks again!

jxxaxxy

Post by jxxaxxy »

Sounds like a plan 8-)

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

For what it's worth, federal code prohibits most restrictions HOAs like to put on antennas. They can restrict installation in areas that would pose legitimate safety hazards (e.g. installing where it might fall on power lines if it comes loose), or if you are in a historic district. Otherwise, the restrictions are only allowed if they don't interfere with reception or unreasonably increase the cost of installation or delay installation. So, for example, they could require that the antenna be installed on the side of the house away from the street when possible, but if you have to install on the front of the house because that's the only way you can get reception, then they just have to accept it.