HD Homerun DVR Not Detecting Asustor NAS

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
da_shed

HD Homerun DVR Not Detecting Asustor NAS

Post by da_shed »

Hi,

I have been running he HD Homerun DVR on an Asustor 6104T NAS without problems for well over a year., Over time, Asustor issued several "minor" updates to their ADM operating system, but they were incremental updates, i.e. 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, etc. After each update, re-installation the DVR software required in order to restore functionality. I did the installs from a Windows 10 PC.

This week, Asustor released ADM 4.0, which is a major update to their OS. When I run DVR setup from the same Windows 10 computer, setup is unable to find the NAS. SSH service is enabled on Port 22 of the NAS, but I don't even get to the point of the Silicon Dust software finding the NAS, let alone to a login screen.

All of the PCs on my network can see and access the NAS, but DVR setup does not see it at all. The software identifies other devices on my network, but the Asustor 6104T is not listed. I never had this issue prior to upgrading to ADM 4.0, and unfortunately it is not possible to rollback to ADM 3.x.

I opened a trouble ticket with Silicon Dust, but I haven't received a response yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HD Homerun DVR Not Detecting Asustor NAS

Post by signcarver »

Make sure you have a DLNA server running on that nas as that is the mechanism that SD's NAS install uses to find the NAS. personally I would use demonrik's package for the asustor.

da_shed

Post by da_shed »

Hi Signcarver,

Thanks for the suggestion. The NAS carried most of its apps forward automatically, and it updated them as necessary for ADM 4.0 compatibility. It appears that the DLNA app was not included automatically after the update. I’ll need to load the app over the next day or two to see if the problem is solved.

Thanks,

Dave

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

signcarver wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 am personally I would use demonrik's package for the asustor.
For Asustor my recommendation is to install docker/portainer and install the container viewtopic.php?t=73757
I'm about to discontinue support on the APKG for Asustor as I've had no feedback since I created it, and I've been running the container on mine with 0 issues..
and it migrated perfectly for ADM 4.0 :)

da_shed

Post by da_shed »

Thanks!

da_shed

Post by da_shed »

Hi demonrick,

I want to try your docker container, but I am not skilled in Linux, and I am not familiar with the Docker software. I download the image and creed a container using Portainer CE. However, when I start the container manually, I receive errors indicating that I have not created the appropriate storage locations. Is it possible to create the required folders with the Asustor ADM file manager? It did not work for me, but maybe I did not create them in the right place. Also, don't know how to use the commands that are shown at the link you provided. Is there a more detailed set of installation instructions available? I think I may need something along the "For Dummies" series of books.

As to the Windows installer:

Your suggestion for confirming that UPnP was enabled on the NAS so that the DVR installer could find the NAS worked. I enabled miniDLNA, and the NAS was found immediately. However, the software still won't install. When I run the windows installer, it reports that SSH/Port 22 is not enabled on the NAS, even though it is. I can log on the the NAS via SSH with Putty, so there is something weird going on. My original problem was caused because the UPnP v1 app that I was using on the NAS with ADM 3.0 is not compatible with ADM 4.0, so Asustor deleted it during the ADM upgrade.

So, I still don't have a working installation. I am certain that SSH is enabled on the NAS, but I cannot get to the NAS login when I try to install the DVR with the Windows installer. I might try to find an older version of the Windows installer, but I doubt that it is the problem. I will probably open a new thread and trouble ticket on the SSH issue.

Thanks,

Dave

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

da_shed wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:49 am I want to try your docker container, but I am not skilled in Linux, and I am not familiar with the Docker software. I download the image and creed a container using Portainer CE. However, when I start the container manually, I receive errors indicating that I have not created the appropriate storage locations. Is it possible to create the required folders with the Asustor ADM file manager? It did not work for me, but maybe I did not create them in the right place. Also, don't know how to use the commands that are shown at the link you provided. Is there a more detailed set of installation instructions available? I think I may need something along the "For Dummies" series of books.
Did you look at the post I made on Friday?
viewtopic.php?p=377616#p377616
It's pretty detailed step by step with screenshots as well.

Once you install Docker (step 1) it will create a docker share, and then you need to create a folder in there for the data to be stored (step 6) - e.g. DVR
You need to have a shared folder for your recordings. If one already exists - check out step 4 as you will need the volume that it's located on.
Then at step 10 when setting up the container, under volumes you need to add the docker folder to the /dvrdata and the recordings folder for /dvrrec as shown in
Note that for the /dvrrec binding, under those it's /volume1 (the volume that your share is on) /HDhomeRunDVR (the name of the share).

da_shed

Post by da_shed »

Hi demonrick,

I did not see your post from Friday, so thanks for calling it to my attention. I'll try to follow the setup process as soon as I have a chance. Thanks for providing detailed setup instructions.

Dave

da_shed

Post by da_shed »

Hi demonrick,

I followed your detailed setup instructions, and I am back up and running. Thanks again for the assistance, and for creating the installer.

Dave

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

da_shed wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:44 pm Hi demonrick,

I followed your detailed setup instructions, and I am back up and running. Thanks again for the assistance, and for creating the installer.

Dave
cool - glad you got it running