Problem of a low-power ATSC 3.0 broadcaster

ATSC 3.0 Forum
RonRN18

Problem of a low-power ATSC 3.0 broadcaster

Post by RonRN18 »

I'm not sure exactly where to address a new issue I discovered. I've been improving my antenna and started picking up a 3kW station on RF 6. The broadcaster, KEFM-LD in Sacramento, CA is one that USED to transmit on this frequency as a method of transmitting FM audio on 87.7 MHz. This was using a little low-power broadcaster loophole that was recently forced down by the FCC and they came up with a work-around, where they still transmit foreign-language audio on 87.7 MHz on the FM dial but now have a single ATSC 3.0 transmission. This ATSC 3.0 station is being reported by my CONNECT 4K as being channel 106.1. The content is "Jewelry TV" and is 1280x720p59.940060 HEVC with 48KHz/32-bit/stereo ADTS audio.

Now a little history of the market. Before ATSC 1.0 was started, KVIE, the PBS affiliate for the Sacramento market, transmitted their NTSC signal on RF 6. When they started their ATSC 1.0 signal, it was on RF 9. They are still known as KVIE 6 via their PSIP.

The HDHomeRun app and DVR is now reporting KEFM-LD's "Jewelry TV" station as PBS content. Oddly, it says that it is KEFM but shows PBS program information for 6.1. At the moment, our ATSC 3.0 lighthouse station has our NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, Univision, and MyNetwork (host transmitter); lacking KVIE our PBS affiliate. With KEFM-LD using 106.1, this will likely cause an issue if/when KVIE begins ATSC 3.0.

I'm not sure who to address this potential conflict with. Is it KEFM-LD's responsibility to make a modification in their PSIP or KVIE or someone else?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: Problem of a low-power ATSC 3.0 broadcaster

Post by kyl416 »

KEFM-LD should not be using virtual channel 6 at all as LPTV signals are secondary to all full power stations, so KVIE has the rights to virtual 6. You can complain to KVIE about it and they can get the ball rolling by filing an official complaint to the FCC, as on real NextGen TVs it has the potential to be a problem if the model ignores the ATSC 1.0 counterpart when there's an ATSC 3.0 channel with the same virtual number.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The FCC actually has rules for how this is to be handled. If a low-power station signs on using an RF channel that matches the virtual channel of another station already in the market, the low power station is required to use the RF channel number of the other station as their virtual channel number, unless that number is already in use as a virtual channel number in the market, in which case they're allowed to pick any available virtual channel number. So, they should be using 9.x, which doesn't exist in Sacramento since it was used for analog TV in SF and Redding.

You should give the station a chance to fix the problem before getting KVIE or the FCC involved. Escalate it if you have to, but not everything needs to go nuclear right away. Lawrence Rogow is the chairman of the company and is listed as the technical contact for the station, and his email address is his last name at ventechgroup.com.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

They also can't use virtual 9 as their contour overlaps with KQED.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Is it the contour that matters? I don't remember the details on that part of the rule. It's unlikely that anyone would actually be impacted by KEFM using 9. The mountains block KQED from reaching much of the overlapping area, most of that area is farmland, and even if there was signal there or anyone to receive it, co-channel interference from KAHC-LD would probably clobber it anyway.

Trip

Post by Trip »

Yes, it's the contour that matters.

And this issue should be resolved.

- Trip