AC-4 Audio?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
emveepee

Re: AC-4 Audio?

Post by emveepee »

sjm817 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:01 am Hi Martin. I may be interested in this because of the issue I have posted just above your post. Question for you. Since the TV I want this for shows in spec as supporting AC-4, would that TV be able to be the device that does the decoding?
ExoPlayer, which is doing the playback is configured to use the h/w codecs first and then it fall back to ffmpeg decoding if it isn't supported.

Martin

sjm817

Post by sjm817 »

For all interested, I tried the NextPVR client that emveepee has mentioned in this thread. The audio works perfectly. For review, using HDHR backend and android TV client, I get a DD 5.1 container with only L&R channel audio. With his app, I get DD+ 5.1 with all channels working. I would really like to see the HDHR software get fixed to handle the audio properly.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

I have been talking to sjm817 on AVS about his issue. Dolby 5.1 showing on Denon receiver but only 2 channels of audio out. I use pretty much the same thing he does for playback. Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro with the latest HDHR client, and Denon X6400H. I did some testing today. Differently from him, I do get center channel output, but no surround information at all. This just tested with football on the local Fox affiliate in the Denver DMA.
Switching to the same program on ATSC 1, surround information is there. But it seems to be the same for all of the ATSC 3.0 channels here.
So is this something that is typical? A known issue? I had read everything in this thread until about a month ago, but I may have missed this being mentioned in the interim. Sorry if it is a repeat of something.
If it is a known issue, is a fix being worked on?

EDIT: I just tried using the ATV4K HDHR APP. Same results basically. Though the Receiver shows multi channel in (as the ATV4K decodes everything to PCM). But there is no surround information at all. I mean, putting my ear on the speaker cover, and I can't tell is there is any sound. ATSC 1 channel with the same content, I hear lots of surround info. So it would appear that the client is doing something wrong with the decoding.

One more. I just tried the HDHR client on my LG B7 OLED. It worked as it is supposed to. 5.1 to the Denon via ARC. 5.1 channels of sound out. This would seem to indicate this is a problem with the client on the Shield/ATV4K.

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl »

sjm817 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:00 am For all interested, I tried the NextPVR client that emveepee has mentioned in this thread. The audio works perfectly. For review, using HDHR backend and android TV client, I get a DD 5.1 container with only L&R channel audio. With his app, I get DD+ 5.1 with all channels working. I would really like to see the HDHR software get fixed to handle the audio properly.
Users need to also be aware that certain channels, even though they're using AC-4/HEVC/ATSC3.0, may not be broadcasting a DD5.1 signal. In the Phoenix area, I've noticed a real mix of audio formats on the new HEVC channels ranging from AAC to AC-4/2-channel, to AC-4/6-channel.

If the images aren't showing up in this post, just right-click the image placeholder and select "View this link in another tab"

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl »

I've downloaded and tested the Android NextPVR client APK provided by emveepee on a Beelink GT King Pro TV box and HEVC/AC-4 works perfectly. It also works perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+. Great work!

aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

ferrellsl wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:10 pm
sjm817 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:00 am For all interested, I tried the NextPVR client that emveepee has mentioned in this thread. The audio works perfectly. For review, using HDHR backend and android TV client, I get a DD 5.1 container with only L&R channel audio. With his app, I get DD+ 5.1 with all channels working. I would really like to see the HDHR software get fixed to handle the audio properly.
Users need to also be aware that certain channels, even though they're using AC-4/HEVC/ATSC3.0, may not be broadcasting a DD5.1 signal. In the Phoenix area, I've noticed a real mix of audio formats on the new HEVC channels ranging from AAC to AC-4/2-channel, to AC-4/6-channel.

If the images aren't showing up in this post, just right-click the image placeholder and select "View this link in another tab"
I've been recording and watching ATSC OTA HD content for over twenty years now. Since Summer 2001. During that time I've seen a multitude of different audio channel options broadcast in Dolby DIgital. I've seen DD 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, and 5.1 broadcast at one time or another. In the DC and Baltimore area.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

The AC-4 spec today defines 18 speakers, so the options are slowing down for you.

Maritn

ferrellsl

Re: AC-4 Audio? Kodi/XBMC with AC-4 Support

Post by ferrellsl »

I've just completed a successful build of Kodi, formerly known as XBMC, that supports ATSC3/HEVC/AC-4. This is a 64-bit Windows build that has been tested on Windows 10 & 11 and with the latest version of NextPVR. It works successfully with the ATSC3/HEVC/AC-4 broadcasts in the Phoenix area but is untested in other cities. The user assumes all the responsibilities for correctly installing NextPVR and this build of Kodi. I'm assuming that anyone interested in testing is already well versed with NextPVR and how to install the NextPVR add-in within Kodi. Be patient when switching between ATSC3 channels as it can take 10-20 seconds before audio/video begins.

Send me a PM if you'd like to test it yourself.

Regards,

Steve

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I ran Kodi for a while and it is great but it takes a lot more tinkering and computer knowledge to get running right with all of my drives that I just went with Plex. If you want a open source setup that can do or play anything if you want to go to the trouble of setting it up. If you want pretty simple and mostly automatic try Plex. Once my computer started getting multiple drives and folders everywhere it got a lot harder to setup but there should be good guides out there to help.

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl »

Dartman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:27 pm I ran Kodi for a while and it is great but it takes a lot more tinkering and computer knowledge to get running right with all of my drives that I just went with Plex. If you want a open source setup that can do or play anything if you want to go to the trouble of setting it up. If you want pretty simple and mostly automatic try Plex. Once my computer started getting multiple drives and folders everywhere it got a lot harder to setup but there should be good guides out there to help.
I didn't like Plex which is why I built a version of Kodi that supports AC-4. The latest version of of NextPVR was quite simple to configure, just time consuming to do the channel scan and update the EPG.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I ran both for a while till the system got so complicated to setup and Kodi could play just about anything with a add on or some tinkering. I might get bored and dive into it again sometime as they seem to coexist just fine.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

ferrellsl wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:37 pm The latest version of of NextPVR was quite simple to configure, just time consuming to do the channel scan and update the EPG.
The trick is to use HDHR mode and not the ATSC mode since no scan is required and to have a Schedules Direct account for the EPG data, I'd suggest the trial to start. Once that is done you can install NextPVR in a couple of minutes. Here is a real time capture of an install from scratch in a minute and a half. https://youtu.be/lYuG6670bMo

The only other thing a first time Schedules Direct user would have to do is enter their ZIP code to find the OTA lineup.

Afterwards you can worry about the slower ATSC mode scan which allows recording multiple simultaneous ATSC 1.0 sub channels on one tuner and using XMLTV for your Silicon Dust PVR subscription.

Martin

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl »

emveepee wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:57 am
ferrellsl wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:37 pm The latest version of of NextPVR was quite simple to configure, just time consuming to do the channel scan and update the EPG.
The trick is to use HDHR mode and not the ATSC mode since no scan is required and to have a Schedules Direct account for the EPG data, I'd suggest the trial to start. Once that is done you can install NextPVR in a couple of minutes. Here is a real time capture of an install from scratch in a minute and a half. https://youtu.be/lYuG6670bMo

The only other thing a first time Schedules Direct user would have to do is enter their ZIP code to find the OTA lineup.

Afterwards you can worry about the slower ATSC mode scan which allows recording multiple simultaneous ATSC 1.0 sub channels on one tuner and using XMLTV for your Silicon Dust PVR subscription.

Martin

Well, the entire point of my building an AC-4 capable version of Kodi was to avoid the need for a SiliconDust PVR subscription so I'm quite happy now. I've been a NextPVR user and Schedules Direct user for years. Schedules Direct is definitely worth the $2 per month. Highly recommended.