Long coax vs. long ethernet cable

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
HughDaMann

Long coax vs. long ethernet cable

Post by HughDaMann »

My antenna is in the attic. Is it better to put the HomeRun in the attic with a short coax to minimize cable loss and run a long (50') ethernet cable to the HomeRun or is it better to put the HomeRun next to the router with a short ethernet cable and a long (50') coax cable to the antenna?

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Re: Long coax vs. long ethernet cable

Post by ronintexas »

50 feet isn't a very long run, however I would suggest testing the theory. Mount the antenna, run the 50 cable to any TV set and see how the reception is first. If it is good, then run the 50' cable. If it is bad, use the ethernet connection. Having the HDHomerun in the attic could create issues with heat - especially if the attic gets very hot in the summer time.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

Agree that 50' isn't far for coax or ethernet. I wouldn't want the HDHomeRun in the attic - but I am in Texas like the other commenter where attic temps easily run 120 degrees in the summer.

HughDaMann

Post by HughDaMann »

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to play Solomon and split the baby. I ran a 25' coax down to the basement from the antenna and a 25' ethernet line from the router to the same location and reception is strong.

ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

What's the climate like in the attic over the course of all four seasons? If it isn't unreasonably hot up there, and you have power, put the HDHR tuner in the attic and run the Ethernet over the distance. The signaling will be spot on for you over Ethernet.

BTW - With the correct cable and connectors, Ethernet is good to 100 meters (around 300'). I make my own cables and have a number of them in my house that are 50-75' and have never had a single issue.

HughDaMann

Post by HughDaMann »

Thanks ember. The attic does get pretty warm in the summer, so I decided to place the unit in the basement. If not for the high temperatures in the attic, as pointed out earlier in this thread, I would have placed it there. In general, I think that you want to minimize the coax length to maximize the SNR. I placed an amp in the attic that is rated to operate at attic temps, so that amp should be setting my noise floor as long as I don't incur too much loss in the cable before the HDHomerun.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The HDHomeRun is designed for ambient temperatures of 0-40 °C (32-104 °F). Attics often run 20 °F or more above the outside air temperature, so it's easy to exceed that range on a summer day even in coastal areas that don't ever get particularly hot.

A 25' coax run is only going to drop signal strength by like 2%, so it's really not a big deal.