Can’t view some cable channels Windows 10 and Android TV

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jim_a

Can’t view some cable channels Windows 10 and Android TV

Post by jim_a »

Spectrum cable TV service
Hdhomerun prime with Cisco cable card and tunning Adapter
Can’t view some channels on either Windows or android TV box.
All channels work fine Windows 8.1 and Spectrum STB
Channels are not marked DRM. (all the channels marked DRM I have tried are OK)
Get various errors
Audio only
Timeout
Unspecified error

Examples
62 VH1HD
63 TWCHD The weather channel
66 MTVHD

DVR service running on Qnap NAS
I also have two connect quatros and a connect for OTA
Windows 10 pro with HDHR app
Nvidia Shield TV (prior generation)
Dynalink DL-ATV36
Mecool KM9 pro
I don’t know when the problem started or if these channels ever worked.
I discovered the problem while setting up the Mecool KM9
I am running the latest versions of the Windows and Android apps and the prime firmware is up to date.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Can’t view some cable channels Windows 10 and Android TV

Post by signcarver »

Assuming you mean with SD's app in windows 8.1 and not WMC, the difference between the app in win 7/8.1 and the win10 app is the win10 app will use your DVR Engine for live (unless DRM) which suggests that the channels isn't known by the DVR and/or it is having trouble reaching the tuner... it can also be that you enabled the engine on the same win 10 machine and it needs the loopback fix (but that probably still would cause issues with your DRM channels that you say are not a problem) It can also happen if the channel should be DRM and isn't marked as such but that wouldn't work in the win 8.1 app (but would in wmc).

My suggestion is to run a channel scan (wait until it finishes) and then restart the engine.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

Wundows 8.1 (that works) is Windows media center, not the SD app – I should have made the clear.
I ran the channel scan yesterday through the tuner’s web interface.
Running the scan on the Windows 10 PC now.

Could you clarify this?

"It can also happen if the channel should be DRM and isn't marked as such"

The only I know to check for DRM is in the tuner’s channel list page.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

WMC doesn't use the scan and drm is on the fly as to whether it has it or not and can change at any time... sd's app is reliant on the scan and occasionally doesn't pick up whether or not a channel has drm... the tuner is required to force such if it happens to change mid stream. As a result if a channel is DRM but the scan didn't pick it up as such, the wrong url to tune it is used as it wouldn't have the dtcp-ip information and thus the engine gets an encrypted stream it can't handle. When the correct drm url is passed the client ends up (eventually) streaming directly from the tuner but this requires both the client and engine to be aware of such... the dvr engine can take up to 2 hours to sync with updated lineup unless you restart it.

A rescan should get the correct info (drm issue or just being in lineup) and restarting the engine would pick up such new lineup (also restart client (app) just to pick up any changes to either engine or lineup)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Let's do both a rescan and send some diagnostics, and see what it says:
  1. Please go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  4. Click System Status
  5. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  6. Go back one page
  7. Click Channel Lineup
  8. Click on Detect Channels

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID at the top of the my.hdhomerun.com web page as well as on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

Device Id is 131B7B1D
I rescanned in windows 10 earlier

I turned on send diagnostics
I also rescanned using the channel lineup page.

The channels still aren’t flagged DRM in the channel lineup.
Windows 10 and the android boxes still can’t view them.
Note: VLC launched from the setup program can’t view them either.
It appears the channels are DRM but the scan tools don’t detect it.

Where do the Android tv boxes get the channel list and DRM info?

Another quirk I have seen is channel 101 HSN (home shopping network) shows DRM but can be viewed with either VLC or a non-certified android box that can’t view the other DRM channels.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

It doesn't seem to be a DRM issue. Those channels given as an example are all unrestricted in the scans and every time they're accessed in the diagnostic logs.

I do see that the DVR software on your NAS needs an update. The DVR will be used for the HDHomeRun app except on Windows 7 and 8, so that might be the real issue. It looks like you are using the QNAP package. If it shows as version 1.0 or later, you should be able to update by stopping/starting the DVR package, or rebooting the NAS. Otherwise, you can manually install the updated QPKG by installing it like normal: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=31745

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

I updated the DVR manager qpkg to 1.0.5 and the record engine to 20210624.
Is 20210624 current?
I had tried updating earlier but the link at the beginning of the thread points to older versions such as 0.10.7
I also did a software reset of the prime.
I verified that send diagnostic info was still enabled and started a channel scan from the channel lineup page at about 12:45 PM EDT.
Channels 62,63 and 66 still don’t show DRM in the lineup.
Starting about 2:15 I tried the channels from the Windows 10 app, the shield TV and the windows setup app/VLC. All failed :(

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

I used Windows (8.1) media center to record about an hour on channel 63 (TWCHD).
Media center indicates the recording is copy protected.
Media center can play the recording but Powerdvd 20 indicates it is copy protected.
VLC crashes when I try to play it. :(

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

There was someone about a year or so ago had an issue where the cablecard map pointed to a different frequency than the the TA and the TA pointed to drm protected channels but the cablecard map pointed to a non-protected stream. Though I find it hard to believe given the nature of how the TA is supposed to control things, it came out that supposedly the scan made use of the map to more quickly perform the scan (to determine subscribed status) as TAs don't like scans. As a result the person couldn't tune the protected version of the channel when the TA was attached.

I've only seen such reported once... and such wouldn't explain why powerdvd could work as it also wouldn't get the correct url to use for dlna unless the scan picked such up (or were you referring to powerdvd/vlc not be able to play the drm protected wmc recording). And if the scan picked such up, SD's windows 10 version of the hdhomerun app should work (note if recently picked up as such, the dvr engine would also need up to 2 hours to pick up such change as well. A DRM protected channel won't play with vlc, it also won't record in anything but wmc. It also doesn't explain why NedS didn't see such as being drm protected from the logs when trying to view.

Prior to your latest post I was abandoning the idea of it being a drm issue and more a TA issue but since wmc reports such as being protected it most likely is being detected at some point as being protected and the tuner must enforce such protections "live" not by what the scan reported.

Hopefully NedS can pick up something new in the logs.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

To be clear I tried to play the recorded file with PowerDVD and it reported that the recording is copy protected.
I don’t know how to try to view live TV with PowerDVD.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

Windows 10 can and the Shield TV can view the “HD” version of all three

Old New
“SD” “HD”
62 VH1HD 1306
63 TWCHD 1225
66 MTVHD 1301

Note: when HD TV first became available, they were assigned to channel numbers above 1000 and
the original analog SD remained available.

For example: local SD were mapped in the 2 to 20 range and you added 1000 to get the HD version.
When they converted to all digital, they mapped 2 to 20 to the HD version.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

The high number versions (1306,1225,1301) that work indicate DRM in the channel lineup.
The fact that Windows media center correctly handles these channels suggests this is not a Spectrum problem.
Note: Send diagnostics is currently off but I can turn it back on if there is something else to try.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Isn't Spectrum DRM every single channel? If that's the case, you are better off remove your DVR engine since you are not going to be able to record them. This way, your playback device will work fine with DRM channels regardless.

jim_a

Post by jim_a »

Shutting down the DVR doesn’t help – I just tried again. :(
Most Spectrum channels in zip code 33706 (St. Petersburg FL) are not DRM.
All channels require a cable card (no clear QAM).
DRM is copy (record) protection.
Cable card is authorization /encryption.
As noted in my first post I also have two Quatros for OTA.