Relax the requirements for a channel

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Steiner23

Relax the requirements for a channel

Post by Steiner23 »

I have a goofy question. I've been using a HDHomeRun Connect for a couple of years now. I had it connected to one of those $20 flat antennas that you tape in your window, and I had 39 or 40 channels! I was thrilled. I recently upgraded to the Flex 4K, and picked up 39 channels - all of the main channels from both Seattle (~90 miles) and Vancouver (~40 miles). Again - awesome - I live in the no-mans-land between Seattle and Vancouver, BC. After switching out to the 4K, I decided to put a large antenna on the house (Antennas Direct 8 Bow Tie 70 miles...) and paired it with an Antennas Direct ClearStream Juice pre-amp.

I expected to receive TV signals from Tokyo (kidding) - I was confident that switching to this antenna would result in (possibly) more channels, but at the least, a strong signal strength for the channels that I did receive. The second part was accomplished - the signal strength (and clarity in the picture) is much improved. HOWEVER, I lost half of the Seattle stations.... For example, I was getting Kiro, but not King (as far as I know - both transmit from the exact same location...).

Is there any way to see EXACTLY what is being picked up? Also - to allow for a little more flexibility in the signal strength required to say "this is a channel"?

Thanks in advance!

Hardware Model HDFX-4K
Firmware Version 20210624
And - not sure if this matters - but, I'm currently running a 50' cable from the pre-amp to the signal power hooyah. Then, 3' to the HDHomeRun.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Relax the requirements for a channel

Post by nickk »

Hi,

The HDHomeRun will report everything it can - there is no coded threshold where it won't show something.

Nick

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

If you were able to get the Seattle stations with the mudflap style antenna in a window, the Antennas Direct Bowtie with the preamp might be giving you too strong of a signal. Try removing the preamp and the power inserter and connect the antenna directly to the HDHomeRun and see if the Seattle stations return.

It also has a different reception pattern so you might need to rotate it to find a new sweet spot to aim for that will let you get Seattle and Vancouver at the same time.

Also, KIRO has a bunch of repeaters in the area between Seattle and the CA border, so that might explain why you can get KIRO but not KING with your new setup.

Steiner23

Post by Steiner23 »

Thank you for the replies - I'll try it again without the amp and see what happens - and go from there.