Can't record most channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
davefoc

Can't record most channels

Post by davefoc »

We can view all the cable channels we are signed up for, but only over the air channels and maybe a few more record.

We have a three tuner older HD HomeRun device. Everything worked OK under WIndows Media Center but we've never been able to get the DVR software to record most of the cable TV stations we watch. We are in Orange County, CA and Spectrum is our cable company.

This is a problem I would never have expected. It is possible to watch all the channels we are signed up for. It is possible to record our local channels (2,4,5,7,9,11,13 and the public TV stations) but most of the rest of the stations won't record.

Is this just the way it is? HD HomeRun blocks certain channels from recording based on legal requirements?

Thanks for any help that is provided.

Metalman
Device ID: 131937B6

Re: Can't record most channels

Post by Metalman »

Are you recording with Windows Media Center or with HDHomeRun DVR?
Windows Media Center is the only program you can record all channels. HDHomeRun DVR will only record non DRM channels at this time.
You can go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/ to see the channels that have DRM.

davefoc

Post by davefoc »

Thank you very much for the reply. We are recording with HDHomeRun DVR.

This is very unfortunate. I thought once HDHomeRun could play a channel it could record it.

We have used our HDHomeRun Tuner for many years and it was our hope to continue using it. I had Windows Media Center working under Windows 10 but I think Microsoft did something to prevent it from working in one of their updates. At this point I could screw with trying to get Windows Media Center working again or we can stop using our HDHomeRun tuners if and until they can record the channels we are interested in.

Your link to the chart was very helpful and we might see if there is anything we would want to record that isn't DRM restricted but that would be a small number.

Do you think SiliconDust will ever expand the channels it can record to include the DRM stations? To me, it seems like the answer is that they probably won't. It seems like not recording a channel with DRM while they can display that channel must be a restriction that is being forced on them. And I don't think the political situation is going to get any better for those of us using CableCards although I suppose it might.

Metalman

Post by Metalman »

they say they are working on the ability to record DRM channels. So only time will tell.

davefoc

Post by davefoc »

Recording video on channels with DRM may be more of an issue than I originally thought. I suspect that HD HomeRun is required to save video on a channel with DRM in a format that can't be readily transferred played on a different local network than the one it was recorded on. Presumably this means the videos need to be encrypted, perhaps in a format defined by the rules, and then decrypted for playback.

I don't know how difficult this would be to do this but speculating some more SiliconDust would be required to submit their software to a body tasked with approving software/hardware systems that can record video. It may be that step that is holding all this up. There are many entities that don't want something like HDHomeRun to work and they seem to hold sway at the FCC and I presume they would make it difficult and costly for SiliconDust to get approval for their software. It seems that the recent election results might result in an FCC that is more friendly to consumers and perhaps that might lead to SiliconDust being able to get approval for software that saved videos from channels with DRM.

Note: there is so much speculation by me in the above that perhaps it is of no value. Unfortunately, as things sit right now, we are not getting any value out of our HDHomeRun tuner and I plan to discontinue our EPG service for it next week. If SiliconDust is actively pursuing the recording of video on channels with DRM I would very much like to hear about it. If there are political problems that are preventing it information about those problems might be helpful in creating some pressure on the FCC to fix the problem.

Metalman

Post by Metalman »

this is why I will not retire my old Windows 8.1 computer with Media Center. You may want to checkout https://getchannels.com/ for now. they have a guide and TV everywhere.