Flex 4k + External Drive + HDHR: how does recording work

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
danp

Flex 4k + External Drive + HDHR: how does recording work

Post by danp »

I have a Flex 4K with external drive and HDHR app on Win 10. All seem to work fine. I have a question on how recordings are scheduled.

Does HDHR app submit jobs to the Flex 4k that will manage recording 'offline'? In other words, the PC running HDHR does not to be always on to start/stop recordings. The Flex acts as a server and the PC can sleep and the Flex 4k will manage recording.

FYI, I have found using Plex that the only DRM'd channels on my local FIOS is Fox, Nat Geo and 1 other. Not a huge loss.

Thanks for help,

Dan

SageMyth

Re: Flex 4k + External Drive + HDHR: how does recording work

Post by SageMyth »

danp wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:00 am The Flex acts as a server and the PC can sleep and the Flex 4k will manage recording.
That is basically correct.
A copy of the DVR software will be running on the Flex.
All that needs to be running is the Flex (with attached usb drive) but it does need access to the internet to check with the Silicondust database servers.

danp

Post by danp »

Thanks for the response. I'm asking because I was trying to use Plex to test out recording on my 8.1 machines, but Plex doesn't use the HDHR DVR capability.

I assume then that the HDHR app is the only option if one wants to make use of the DVR server, which I think is a winner. I worked with the guide for a bit and found it a little cumbersome. I have become used to scanning a matrix of channels vs time, like in WMC and Plex, which HDHR doesn't provide. Maybe with use it'll grow on me.

Dan

SageMyth

Post by SageMyth »

danp wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:16 am I assume then that the HDHR app is the only option if one wants to make use of the DVR server, which I think is a winner.
You may want to check out "Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client"
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=71135

I think the official HDHR apps are great since they are easy to use and are available on multiple platforms.
But, occasionally I also find the Unofficial Kodi Client useful. You should check it out. It has a grid guide.

danp

Post by danp »

Thanks for the link. I will check out Kodi.

Dan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

SD's app for win7/8 does not support the DVR, one is expected to use kodi and an addon for win7/8.

Once you get an app that supports the DVR (such as the win10 app), when you schedule the task, such is stored in the cloud... every hour or so the record engine (in this case the one on the flex) reaches out to SD to find out upcoming tasks (what it is supposed to record) in the next 4 hours. Typically when a client (or other tool) sets such task, it will poke the record engine to get the task list from the cloud immediately.

danp

Post by danp »

I've been poking around unofficial Kodi addon and I was pondering how it might work in my setup which has both a Flex 4K and a Prime as Kodi addon requires DVR. This brought to mind a general question of how the Flex 4K DVR service would work with the Prime tuner I have.

If I use HDHR to schedule a recording on a Prime channel, does the DVR then manage the recording from the Prime without client intervention. The recording from the Prime channel would then end up on the Flex attached storage? If so, I would do well to move the Prime next to Flex and connect with a switch.

@SageMyth if, indeed, the DVR in Flex manages Prime recordings, will Kodi then be able to setup recordings from the Prime channels?

This impresses me. SD has been berated for not bringing DRM recording to HDHR, but what they've brought is a very solid base. There's a lot of long range planning here that has paid off. Well done.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Tasks (recording rules) are in the cloud. Every hour or so the record engine(s) (doesn't matter if the engine is on the flex, scribe, seevio, nas, windows pc, mac, or even enabled in android app with sufficient local storage on that platform... the engine behaves the same) sends a broadcast to the subnet to discover tuners and other engines. From the tuners (or servio if dvr subscriptionis through that) it uses the device's DeviceAuth to retrieve the rules from the cloud for what it is to record in the next few hours.

The client has no bearing on such as what to record is between the recording engine and the upcoming matches to the tasks retrieved from the cloud. The important thing is all your hdhr devices be associated to your dvr account... typically first time is through the link in the email sent, as long as one of those registered devices is found, the win10, mac, iOS, or android app will allow you to update such list if new devices are found (update also removes devices not found).

The only difference in using kodi (as far as your question goes, obviously ui is different) is you won't be able to view drm channels (live), and because of this by default those won't be listed but there is an option to still list such in its guide so in theory you could schedule a drm protected program to record, but currently such recording (if it's even made as the engine shouldn't record if drm but there was a bug on the flex for awhile) would be useless as nothing to decrypt such encryprion.

Also in theory it is expected that if/when SD is able to record DRM that it may be limited to scribe/servio/flex at least at first. As in those they have more control of the hardware.

Typically with the DVR there isn't real concept of "prime" channels, though often, such are different channel numbers, as the list presented of what to record is for each channel that has it at that time from all the devices on the subnet. Now one "bug" you may find with the flex (and I don't think this feature is in the kodi addon) is it will always prefer its own tuners... in theory one could make ChannelOnly rules which allow for a list of channels in order of preference... this order is respected when engine is on a pc or nas, but when engine is on the tuning device itself, it seems it will end up preferring itself (at least from my tests).

SageMyth

Post by SageMyth »

danp wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:30 am @SageMyth if, indeed, the DVR in Flex manages Prime recordings, will Kodi then be able to setup recordings from the Prime channels?
Dan, I think signcarver answered this but ...
In summary, the Unofficial Kodi client will signal the SD cloud database which channel to record.
The DVR software running on the Flex will decide which tuner to use when recording that channel.
If the channel is only offered on the Prime then one of those tuners will be used.
I agree that it is a pretty cool and seamless system that SD has designed and requires no user configuration.
I like the fact that you can install the DVR software on multiple devices and it all just works.
But I have decided to just install in on my NAS which allows other ways to access the recorded files.