Flex 4k + external drive

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
danp

Flex 4k + external drive

Post by danp »

I have a Flex 4k installed and working with WMC. I would like to try the HD DVR function. Can I add any external drive to Flex or do I need an SD product like Servio?

Also, as I'll be rebuilding my 8.1 boxes and going to Win 10-11 so I'll be looking for another client. Any recommendations outside of HD DVR and Plex? Can Plex use SD schedule subscription data?

Thanks for help.

Dan

FoodLioon

Re: Flex 4k + external drive

Post by FoodLioon »

You need the DVR service to use the USB port. https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/
You can download the guide data for use in other applications if you are a subscriber- viewtopic.php?t=72813

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Not exactly.... it still can be used as the live buffer without service.

You can add any usb drive, just realize it must be formatted as xfs so you will lose any data on it if not already xfs for it to work so I suggest using a new drive.

A servio would connect to your network but it can use the flex's tuners. The servio also includes a "free" year of dvr service where a drive on the flex would need you to have a dvr subscription though without such subscription it can be used as a buffer for live tv. The subscription is for all related products in your household (for all practical purposes on the same network/subnet).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

signcarver wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 am You can add any usb drive, just realize it must be formatted as xfs so you will lose any data on it if not already xfs for it to work so I suggest using a new drive.
The HDHomeRun FLEX will format the drive.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Yes you can add any sufficiently speedy USB Hard Drive to the Flex. You do not need to purchase a Servio to add a HD to the Flex. You can, but the Flex has the USB port for you.

There are three mainstream USB 2TB drives available for $60. I have listed these in the order of my personal reliability preference, INMHO, based on decades of IT hard drive use in a large corporate environment.
Toshiba Canvio HDTB420XK3AA
Seagate STGX2000400
WD WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN.

danp

Post by danp »

Thanks for the Info, especially the drive recommendations.

I've been using WMC for many moons. One of the better software apps MS has ever put out. I was astounded that the new XBox didn't come with a WMC app given that MS had this in their back pocket. This would have been a killer living room or den device. I imagine Comcast, ATT and Verizon told MS they would keep them in court for years over copying 'their' content. Much like they're preventing SD from copying DRM'd channels.

Can't wait to give this a try.

Dan

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

nickk wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:33 am
signcarver wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 am You can add any usb drive, just realize it must be formatted as xfs so you will lose any data on it if not already xfs for it to work so I suggest using a new drive.
The HDHomeRun FLEX will format the drive.
I guess I am fully trying to understand the FLEX ... If I get my Brother a flex with storage .... all he has to do is subscribe to the DVR and register the Flex and it will act as a fully functional DVR no other equipment needed ?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

You will need a client to view and schedule tasks but one could schedule with any browser and watch with just about anything. Since SD's dvr is internet dependent (expects 24/7 connection) internet access for the device is also required.

A scribe that would have the drive built in rather than external would be another choice. And that includes the first year of dvr but I think most would prefer more storage and if one really needs to access the drive faster, it's easy to move to a Linux machine and copy the content much easier than through the 100mbps connection.