Audio and Video Stuttering Amazon Fire Stick

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
toppinglift

Audio and Video Stuttering Amazon Fire Stick

Post by toppinglift »

Hi All,

I am suddenly getting audio and video stuttering on all channels on the TV using Amazon Fire Stick. I know this is a Fire Stick/HDHomeRun sync problem because 1) it is a reoccurring problem I have had since I bought the Fire Stick and it only occurs on the TV that uses the Fire Stick and 2) I've written about this recurring issue previously in this forum and HD/HR support has solved it with an update and 3) I also have Chromecast on the same TV as the Fire Stick, and when I cast it from my Android app on my phone, there is no audio or video stuttering, so that isolates the problem with the Fire Stick

I also noticed that all my prevoius postings to the forum, except my original posting in 2019, are no longer listed in the forum. Not sure why. Please help with the video and audo stuttering if you can. I have the latest update 20210514 installed Thank you.

toppinglift

Re: Audio and Video Stuttering Amazon Fire Stick

Post by toppinglift »

Here is a followup on that stuttering caused Amazon Firestick. No one responded to this post but the problem was eventually solved (again!) with an update to the software. Now after a few weeks, the firestick is causing the stuttering again on all my TV's, so once again the DVR is not usuable. I guess I will wait for another update. A real chicken and egg situation.

InTheBoilerRoom

Post by InTheBoilerRoom »

I just started experiencing a stuttering issue in my Fire Stick as of last night (7/26). It occurs when playing an ongoing recording of live TV, but only after fast forwarding (e.g. after skipping commercials). If I pause, back out to the recordings menu, then start the recording back up, the stutter is gone until the next time I fast forward.

I haven’t tested any other scenarios, so I’ll report back later if it occurs in other situations.

Edit: One additional note, the audio is NOT stuttering, only the video.
Last edited by InTheBoilerRoom on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

InTheBoilerRoom wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:20 pm I just started experiencing a stuttering issue in my Fire Stick as of last night (7/26). It occurs when playing an ongoing recording of live TV, but only after fast forwarding (e.g. after skipping commercials). If I pause, back out to the recordings menu, then start the recording back up, the stutter is gone into the next time I fast forward.

I haven’t tested any other scenarios, so I’ll report back later if it occurs in other situations.

Seems to be something affecting a few Android-based devices. We might have a fix in the next update for Android/Fire OS. The update has been submitted.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Please try the 20210728 release of the Android app - this fixes an audio stutter problem on some devices.

Nick

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

I sideloaded 20210728 on my Firestick 4K and there is noticable stuttering on Low quality on a 1080i recording.
Medium quality doesn't play at all on 1080i recording, the video freezes.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

FoodLioon wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:35 pm I sideloaded 20210728 on my Firestick 4K and there is noticable stuttering on Low quality on a 1080i recording.
Medium quality doesn't play at all on 1080i recording, the video freezes.
If I remember correctly the hardware support for MPEG2 was blacklisted on the Fire TV 4K as it wouldn't decode interlaced content properly. I will check to see if the latest OS update has changed anything.

Setting the quality to medium will most likely stall on a Fire TV 4K as it doesn't have the sustained processing capability to do it. Low should work.

Nick

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

The HDHomeRun app is getting too heavy for the FireStick 4K. I'm hesitant to throw any more money at low power Android devices, they all seem to have trouble.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

FoodLioon wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:07 am The HDHomeRun app is getting too heavy for the FireStick 4K. I'm hesitant to throw any more money at low power Android devices, they all seem to have trouble.
The app hasn't gotten heaver. Previously the software video decode was set to Low and not configurable. This only applies on Android / Fire TV devices where the hardware video decode is broken in some way and has to be disabled. We added an option for Medium as some Android devices are capable of higher quality decode.

We have a Fire TV 4K Stick being delivered today so we can test on the exact hardware you are using.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Testing a Fire TV Stick 4K (Fire OS 6.2.8.1).

I was not able to reproduce a stuttering problem but I did confirm that hardware support for MPEG2 1080i is working so we removed the blacklist entry so the next app release will use hardware MPEG2 decode.

Nick

Djes

Post by Djes »

I'm still experiencing this issue. Does anyone have a resolution? Doesn't impact the iPad app we use, just the firestick 4k.

WizzKid

Post by WizzKid »

I wanted to chime in and let you know that I have the same issue of stuttering after skipping forward or back on a recorded program and then being able to get it to play again by exiting the program and coming back. I have this issue on both Amazon Fire Stick 4K and Android. We have multiple Amazon Fire Stick 4Ks that have this issue. This issue does not appear to be present on Windows 10 or XBOX One devices we have. This issue happened in the past with the Amazon Fire Sticks about a year or so ago, but was resolved eventually with a software update. Unfortunately, it has been present again for at least a couple weeks (we noticed it while watching the Olympics), presumably after a software update.
InTheBoilerRoom wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:20 pm I just started experiencing a stuttering issue in my Fire Stick as of last night (7/26). It occurs when playing an ongoing recording of live TV, but only after fast forwarding (e.g. after skipping commercials). If I pause, back out to the recordings menu, then start the recording back up, the stutter is gone until the next time I fast forward.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Please side-load the 20210728 app release.

Nick

Djes

Post by Djes »

Thanks for the reply. I side loaded the 7/28 version, but it didn't resolve the jitters in the video after fast forwarding. I'm on Firestick 4K OS 6.2.8.1 and Fire TV Ver 6322095.1 Appreciate any further help.(I even rebooted..)

Djes

Post by Djes »

I just tried this version as well: https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 210624.apk. Didn't resolve it.