Roku interface overhaul?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
jburman

Roku interface overhaul?

Post by jburman »

I am curious as to whether there is an overhaul planned for the Roku interface for the HDHR app? In it's current state its not a great experience. Will it ever to get to a point where the interface will be like every other platform's app (slice view, DVR functionality,etc...)?

Thanks,

Jason

JDazell

Re: Roku interface overhaul?

Post by JDazell »

Dude, search this forum. The answer is a definite NO. And it is not SDs fault.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

While there are certain limitations on the Roku platform, we do endeavor to improve where possible. Most of the other platforms benefit from basically sharing the same UI, which allows faster development. Roku and Apple TV are two official clients that require significant platform-specific UI work, and the Roku has some particular limitations, but there are things we can look into.

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

I can report that my older model Panasonic TVs either can not receive or can not do anything with audio from the Roku HD App.
Dead silence.
That is true even with a new Ultra Roku.
Not mad or trying to assess blame, just disappointed.
Anything Silicon Dust can do to make things work would be appreciated.

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff »

NedS wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:50 pm While there are certain limitations on the Roku platform, we do endeavor to improve where possible. Most of the other platforms benefit from basically sharing the same UI, which allows faster development. Roku and Apple TV are two official clients that require significant platform-specific UI work, and the Roku has some particular limitations, but there are things we can look into.
I've been hoping for some improvement too. There are a lot of Roku apps such as Plex, Youtube TV, DirecTV Stream, etc that are a significant step above the look of the HD HomeRun Roku app. I don't know what limitations you are running into on Roku, but there seems to be plenty of ground in between to make things better even if it doesn't match the other platforms perfectly.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

pixelstuff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:10 pm I've been hoping for some improvement too. There are a lot of Roku apps such as Plex, Youtube TV, DirecTV Stream, etc that are a significant step above the look of the HD HomeRun Roku app. I don't know what limitations you are running into on Roku, but there seems to be plenty of ground in between to make things better even if it doesn't match the other platforms perfectly.
I tend to think of it as two categories:

One is playback-related challenges, and this is where we are the most limited, as there are certain things that only Roku can change about the video player.

The other is more general UI-related, and there's actually a lot that is possible with Roku apps, but it's significantly different from the way our other apps work. In theory we could recreate most of the interface that you see with our other apps (at least as far as the Discover/Search and Recording screens. I'm not sure about live TV/Slice/overlays on video, that may or may not be possible.), it's just that it would require a lot more time and work that would just be used for Roku.

It wasn't too long ago that Roku wasn't working with MPEG2, and wasn't a viable platform for us. Roku added MPEG2 support, including to a lot of existing models, and suddenly Roku became a possibility. While it's only on the most recent Roku Ultra (not sure if it's the normal model or the "LE" model, we will need to verify that), we even have some reports that ATSC 3.0 audio is working on it. These are good signs. Roku is more open to live TV, when they were previously only focused on internet streaming. At least a little bit.

In other words, the more stable playback is (the first category), the more it will be worth it to invest in the UI (the second category), even if it requires special steps and Roku-specific work.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

NedS.

I believe that SD investing time into rebuilding/repairing the Roku interface is the correct direction. There are many people over the age, where vision begins to deteriorate, who prefer the Roku interface solely because the APP icons are so, so, so much larger than the teeny tiny row of APP icons on the Amazon Fire TV Interface.

grumpygramp

Post by grumpygramp »

JDazell wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:52 am NedS.

I believe that SD investing time into rebuilding/repairing the Roku interface is the correct direction. There are many people over the age, where vision begins to deteriorate, who prefer the Roku interface solely because the APP icons are so, so, so much larger than the teeny tiny row of APP icons on the Amazon Fire TV Interface.
TOTALLY agree with this.