Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

sillywabbit

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by sillywabbit »

Forgot to add that I can ssh into my device since I whitelisted my device. Before adding my subnet to the whitelist I could not ssh. That leads me to believe that the whitelist is working.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

sillywabbit wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 pm Should have added this in my original post. The official HDHomeRun addon from the Kodi repository detects the tuners and works just fine. And oh I had whitelisted my local network. So I can access my network shares when connected to the vpn service. When I get home I’ll try pinging the devices. I appreciate your help.
signcarver wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:31 pm The official addon should only uses udp broadcast discovery... this addon can be set to use http discovery which requires the client to connect to the internet from same public ip as the tuners which it usually won't when using a VPN. Double check that setting.
This is a big clue!

Definitely check that this addon's setting Advanced / Use cloud-based HTTP discovery is OFF. If that's ON as signcarver indicated the discovery behavior changes. With that OFF you should be getting identical results, both addons use SiliconDust's libhdhomerun to perform the discovery via broadcast (UDP). I use a newer version than pvr.hdhomerun does, but I don't think that is relevant.

Discovery concern not withstanding, the main difference between how the official pvr.hdhomerun addon and this addon behaves is ... this addon is going to use your RECORD engine to stream channels (if discovered), whereas pvr.hdhomerun can only hit the tuner device(s) directly. The Kodi log file before you lost discovery is likely long gone but in it we would find the HTTP error message that you saw flash as a banner/toast in Kodi. If you can get discovery working again, getting that full error message would be great.

If you get discovery working again, but can't stream anything still, try this addon's Advanced / Stream Live TV channels directly from tuner device(s) setting. If you enable that and set the Preferred tuner streaming protocol to HTTP, the addon will behave very similarly to pvr.hdhomerun. Even if it thinks you have a RECORD engine it won't try to use it. You lose the ability to timeshift, of course, but if this setup works then I think we can narrow this down to a problem finding/accessing your RECORD service.

I'd be very happy to have a look at some of your Kodi logs. There may be additional clues to work with, like not being able to download/process EPG data, problems getting images/thumbnails, etc. that may help guide us to the solution. I'll PM you an e-mail address -- feel free to send me, well, whatever you think might help!

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

sigh. the PM won't send for some reason. Just add an @gmail.com to my username here to contact me / send me things. I'll get it :)

sillywabbit

Post by sillywabbit »

Thank you so much for your help. I decided to just take the easy way out. I set up a separate raspberry pi for my vpn, dvr and downloads and use another raspberry pi for my tv addon.

I now realize the settings that you and signcarver were referring to were the tv addon settings and not the vpn settings.

I very much appreciate your informative reply. If I didn’t enjoy your addon so much I would have just stuck with the HDHomerun addon but yours is so much more intuitive.

Thanks again for all your help.