Does SD care about Apple TV?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
yobyot

Does SD care about Apple TV?

Post by yobyot »

There are so many bugs in the tvOS app! It’s not worth listing them here because I think the answer to my question is, “No.” My proof point is that for months, the tvOS app displayed the time/date of recordings in _Estonian_ for US English users.

If SD can ship something that obvious and ignore the issue for so long, it doesn’t seem like they ever intend to fix the broken guide, inconsistent UI and myriad other problems. They should stop listing Apple TV as a compatible device because the app is barely useable.

A shame, because the Apple TV can really show off the tuners’ capabilities.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Does SD care about Apple TV?

Post by NedS »

Not only do we care a lot about the Apple TV, our development team is hard at work finishing up the recording system and fixing bugs. Apple wouldn't let us use the interface we use for other platforms when it comes to Apple TV, so the Apple TV's UI had to be rebuilt from the ground up. It might look like the other platforms, but it's an entirely new interface that is made to look like the other platforms. Out of all of the platforms, Apple TV is probably getting the most focus at the moment. What is available today is basically an early preview of what the full app will be capable of, and we have some major additions to the app coming out soon.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

yobyot wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:54 pm for months, the tvOS app displayed the time/date of recordings in _Estonian_ for US English users.
No. Back when that bug existed most customers saw the correct time/date. The problem was not related to US English. We were not able to reproduce the problem so we worked with affected customers until we understood the problem. We released an app update that fixed the problem within 2 days of the problem being understood.
yobyot wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:54 pm There are so many bugs in the tvOS app! It’s not worth listing them here. [...] it doesn’t seem like they ever intend to fix the broken guide
Live TV guide? If you are experiencing a problem please let us know - we are not tracking any issues with Live TV, Live TV guide, or recorded playback features. I use the Apple TV 4K in rotation for much of my TV viewing. If you are running the beta version of the app please note that the Discover pages, Discover episode information, and the recording rule editing are functional but still being polished to more perfectly match other platforms.

Edit - I found your thread about guide after resuming from sleep. I will double-check and get back to you on that in the morning.

Nick

yobyot

Post by yobyot »

Here's a partial list:
=> If you are watching a recoding and press the Apple TV remote's "home" key, position in recording is lost
=> Time bar in playback always starts at 7pm no matter when the recording was made
=> Swipe fast forward/reverse moves a different amount than when the control overlay is shown and the fast forward/rewind icons are used
=> After sleep guide is blank (previously described)
=> Imprecise control with Apple TV remote: sometimes opening the control menu by swiping down on the remote doesn't work
=> Very hard to move from slice guide to controls, a sort of down and to the left swipe is necessary but is imprecise
=> Selected tuned station in slice menu is difficult to see
=> Scrolling of stations in slice menu is too fast
=> No way to display a guide by date/time to select recordings
=> "Discovery" task doesn't alway find shows by name, for example "60" doesn't return "60 Minutes" consistently
=> Crashes frequently
=> No doc or help.

I hope some or all of these things get fixed...soon.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I added you to the beta group.

I am testing with 20210507. If you install the beta may be one version behind as 20210507 hasn't been approved by Apple yet.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => If you are watching a recoding and press the Apple TV remote's "home" key, position in recording is lost
Just tested this. It looks like it works if you start playing from the beginning but gets it wrong if you started playback from an existing resume point. I have filed a bug with steps on how to reproduce.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => Time bar in playback always starts at 7pm no matter when the recording was made
Oh that is amusing. It seems to be applying your timezone. Works fine in our UK site :)
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => Swipe fast forward/reverse moves a different amount than when the control overlay is shown and the fast forward/rewind icons are used
Not seeing this. Swipe FF and OSD FF button both advance the same amount. Can you please test with the latest beta just in case it was something we fixed since the last release.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => After sleep guide is blank (previously described)
Fixed in beta.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => Imprecise control with Apple TV remote: sometimes opening the control menu by swiping down on the remote doesn't work
Can you please go into more detail. By control menu do you mean the on-screen-display (OSD) information when playing a recording?
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => Very hard to move from slice guide to controls, a sort of down and to the left swipe is necessary but is imprecise
My test - tap to show OSD. Swipe right multiple times to pull out a slice. Swipe left - slice goes back in, then back to menu. Back and forth works as expected. Can you please test with the beta.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => Selected tuned station in slice menu is difficult to see
When the slice view doesn't have focus the current channel should have a weak highlight but doesn't - bug filed.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => Scrolling of stations in slice menu is too fast
You control the speed by how far and how fast you swipe. Rather than swiping try moving your finger slowly.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => No way to display a guide by date/time to select recordings
Discover-Now lists things by date/time and you can set recordings from there. There is an issue where it always jumps back to "now" - this will be fixed.
Not currently accessible from Live TV - this is on the TODO list.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => "Discovery" task doesn't alway find shows by name, for example "60" doesn't return "60 Minutes" consistently
If you start with a number the search will treat that as a channel number and search that channel only.
To search for 60 Minutes either skip the number or enter <space>60<space>minutes.
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => Crashes frequently
Please install the beta release. If you experience a crash please let us know as much information as you can about the situation.

Nick

yobyot

Post by yobyot »

nickk wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:20 pm
yobyot wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm => After sleep guide is blank (previously described)
Fixed in beta.

Nick
Nope. Broken since the first release, not working in 20210513.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

How long did you suspend the Apple TV for?

Nick

yobyot

Post by yobyot »

In this case, about a couple of hours.

"How long" feels like a replay of the "is your time zone set correctly Estonian datetime" issue (it was set correctly, BTW).

This app's UX is brain dead to begin with (the swipes make no sense and are hard to use on the Siri remote). Even so, it shouldn't matter how long the ATV was powered off. My ancient TiVO doesn't care how long it has been asleep. It has a clock and knows how to use it. When it wakes, it figures out the time and displays the current guide.

I just don't get why your app can't do the same.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

When the owner of the company, the guy who engineered all of the HDHomeRun products, personally takes time to help with your issue, it's because he cares about the customers and supporting Apple TV.

tearfalls

Post by tearfalls »

Apple TV overall is a very bad product. Can't do a lot of the basic stuff right and Apple posts lots of restrictions on developers. Avoid at all cost.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We discovered the Apple TV behaves differently with and without the debugger with regards to sleep/resume.

We expect to have a new release out next week that addresses the sleep/resume issues we identified.

Nick

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Very Apple to implement Schrödinger's debugger.