Latest Google TV (Chromecast) update - HDHomeRun not working as expected

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Latest Google TV (Chromecast) update - HDHomeRun not working as expected

Post by foxbat121 »

In my case, it was live TV after switch channel. Verizon FIOS.

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

I am watching Live only (ATSC) and it happens fairly frequently as in once in every 4 or 5 times I change channels.

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

nickk wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:40 pm I have been watching recordings all day with my "Chromecast with Google TV" dongle without issue. Android TV OS version 10.

ATSC 1.0 broadcast or cable TV?

Live TV only or recordings?

Nick

Edit - the problem playing Music Choice channels has been confirmed and is being investigated.
Hi Nick,
I can recreate the issue fairly easily and a have a short video (184 MB) that recreates it if it helps. How can I get you the video?

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

Confirming Uninstalling/reinstalling the app doesn't help. It was fine for the first channel change or two, but the longer I watched Live TV and changed channels, the worse it got. It also affects Live Channels. Does not happen on Sony Android TV 8.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

caryh1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 am I can recreate the issue fairly easily and a have a short video (184 MB) that recreates it if it helps. How can I get you the video?
Best is to upload it to a site like Google Drive and then PM me the share link.

Nick

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

nickk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:40 am
caryh1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 am I can recreate the issue fairly easily and a have a short video (184 MB) that recreates it if it helps. How can I get you the video?
Best is to upload it to a site like Google Drive and then PM me the share link.

Nick
Unfortunately, it isn't letting me send a private message yet, but here is a link to a shared video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nSC7iEjktxAXFZeFA
Basically, it shows watching channel 4-1 (ATSC) and then change channel to 5-1 where the picture is frozen (no scrolling ticker) with audio continuing a few seconds before it also cuts out and the screen turns black. The screen then redisplays a frozen screen with audio after a few seconds (I don't think it will ever recover and will continue doing this pattern). To "fix" the issue, I press right on the dpad (fast forward even though we are live) once and the video and audio are unfrozen.

I am sending diagnostic info, and my specifics are earlier in the thread.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

So are we resigned to wait for a Chromecast Google TV update, or does SD need to identify what changed made in the last Google TV update and update HDHOMERUN to accommodate/fix? Why does a FF correct the video?

And is anyone with a new TV with Google TV (like Sony or Hisense) seeing this issue?

CEG3

Post by CEG3 »

Apparently, this freezing and stuttering is still going on. I connected a Chromecast With Google TV last night and this morning my recorded news shows were freezing and jumping and live OTA not working right either. Hard to believe there is a device that works as bad or worse with HDHomerun than a Roku.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Make sure you are running the latest app release (20210728)

Today I retested the CCGTV dongle both with and without DVR, both AC3 passthrough and PCM, channel surfing... not seeing any stalling or stuttering issues.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I have seen such as well. In my case I believe it occurs primarily when cc is on as I don't think I saw such with it off which is rare for me but did such for a day after clearing data. For me any press of seek forward or back (left/right) returns such to normal (at least when playing through dvr engine did not test without) ... a previous version of the app typically needed a couple of back seeks to last quite awhile with no issue but that was fixed). I do believe I've seen such freezing much less in the latest version.

I also tend to watch a lot of SD channels and I believe it happened most frequently between cozi(5.2), h&i(10.3), and metv(7.2). I was going to give the latest app a few more days and document exactly when such happened including approximate uptime streaming as sometimes I felt it may have been after the flex filling up after several hours of live but most often sound and captions continued. Sometimes I may watch 7.2 as 93 from cox as 36 sometimes gives me problems and when I do I often switch to 82 for 10.3 which is drm protected.

Since pressing left or right always fixes it for me it hasn't been a priority for me to document and only brought it up now since I have seen it on latest release. I'm off work the next 2 weeks (usually I get almost the entire month of August off) so will be looking at things a bit closer and try to recreate.

Edit: FYI I can make it do such consistently switching from 12 or 12.1 to 10.3 on 0707... unfortunately that chromecast is complaining about out of memory to perform update to 0728... they really need a 16 or 32gb version... to process the latest Android update I had to remove just about everything so it is almost bare now

Edit2: I updated this chromecast and performed the same switch between 12 and 10.3 at 10:40 and let it sonewhat play until 10:45... it was stuck on an image and would play about 5 seconds of audio then 5 seconds of silence and a second or two of changing the picture to a black screen and pick up another still and repeat... I left this going to 10:45 and hit the right button and everything was fine then went to settings about 5 minutes later to confirm app updated to 0728 diagnostics was turned on (and it appeared that turning it on in the app turned it on on the tuners as well but just to be sure I turned toggled the few I thought might be used off then back on turning on diagnostics was rurned on before test but when I did that I forgot to verify app version)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Link to what I am seeing on chromecast when switching channels... note that going from 10.3 to 12/12.1 only occasionally freezes but going from 12/12.1 to 10.3 consistently freezes for me on this chromecast.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sr-X6B ... p=drivesdk

It's not that much of an issue to me as skipping forward or back will make everything work again but I found a way I can consistently duplicate the problem so sent the diagnostics (see above edits) and made a video of me recreating the issue again.

nickk may remove link but I posted it to see if others were having this problem as some might be having another problem for all I know it may be a memory/storage issue on this chromecast as I know previously I've seen issues crop up when I have several hundred channels .. I'll test again tomorrow with just the flex on the network.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Huh - I just reproduced the problem.

I was unable to reproduce with a 1080p TV yesterday but this morning I swapped to a 4K TV and reproduced the problem.

Investigating...

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

Just an FYI that I can fairly consistently repro the issues still and I am on a 4k TV.
Diagnostic info being sent:
Device ID 10A04AC4
Hardware Model HDFX-4K
Firmware Version 20210624

It will freeze at least 1 out of every 3 channel changes (where I fast forward to unstuck the frozen video).

I don't know know if it is related, but Plex Live TV & DVR fails to tune in channels (Error:Recording failed. Please check your tuner or antenna) at about the same rate when changing channels through the guide on the Chromecast with Google TV but doesn't fail to tune in channels through Plex when switching through the Plex WebApp on Windows 10.

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

Pinging this thread and wondering if this is actively being worked on. It is an annoying issue, easy to recreate and it sounds like Nick has been able to reproduce it as well.

Thanks!

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

The bug hasn't show up for me recently after latest update. But it was always random for me in the past as well (one day it consistently show up but next day all gone).