HDHR4 UK - No HD channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tman24

HDHR4 UK - No HD channels

Post by tman24 »

I have a UK HDHR4-2DT tuner, which is meant to support DVB-T2 channels in the UK. For some time now, no matter which firmware or how much I scan, the tuner will not find *any* UK HD channels. SD channels all seem present, but after channel 100, there's nothing until it continues from 201. In the UK, HD channels start from 101. I have no idea why this is. Other devices in the house all find these HD channels ok, and they're rock stable.

I'm on the latest firmware now (as of today), and still no HD channels. This is very frustrating! Any ideas?

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR4 UK - No HD channels

Post by NedS »

We would like to get some diagnostic data:
  1. Please go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. Click System Status
  4. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  5. Go back one page
  6. Click Channel Lineup
  7. Click on Detect Channels

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID at the top of the my.hdhomerun.com web page as well as on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

tman24

Post by tman24 »

Thanks a lot for that. I've completed what you requested, so hopefully that's submitted some logs. The device ID is; 1230244D

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Often in the UK a highpass filter/braid breaker is needed such as the first item at https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d70.html but they have been sold out for awhile. Another one that people had success with was https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085S4SP11? ... ct_details but that also has been sold out for awhile.

However NedS should be able to tell from the scans if they are seeing an indication of needing one so I probably wouldn't go and try looking for one yet and even if they do see such a possibility, it may not be the issue.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

It doesn't seem to be the low-frequency interference that would need a highpass filter. Rather, there appears to be some really strong spikes of RF in the high range. Two scans were in the logs on different days, and the spikes appear to move.
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 1.49.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 1.49.59 PM.png (53.1 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 1.50.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 1.50.06 PM.png (47.6 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Signal strength (red line) across the board, even for stations that come in, are less than 50% (which isn't good). Each blue line is signal quality of the individual broadcast transmitters (which carry multiple channels per transmitter), three of them are actually doing pretty good, despite having weak signal strength. Another three are having issues, coming in below 50%.

Since other TVs in your home are getting stable signal, the two big things to try are:
1) moving the HDHomeRun into another room, to see if there's anything in the previous room that was causing some RF interference.
2) see if you have another 5volt 1amp power supply (can be larger amps, like 1.5 or 3, or even 10, just not larger volts, or less than 1amp) that you can test with, as the original might be putting out dirty power and is a source of interference.

Then reply back and let us know if either of those worked or not.

tman24

Post by tman24 »

Thanks for the info - it seems strange that this has happened though. My HDHR is in the same location it's always been - a feed off a splitter that goes back to a masthead amplifier in the house. We're about 20 miles away from the transmitter, and have always had a reliable signal, hence the rest of the TV's in the house get a stable HD signal. When I first installed the HDHR, it did receive HD signals, and then suddenly it stopped and has never picked any up since. I'm trying to think if this coincided with some frequency changes that were made to make room for more mobile signal space - they seem to do that every now and then in the UK. The transmitter I receive signals from (Hannington) currently broadcasts HD signals on channel 39 (618Mhz @ 50mW) and channel 55 (746Mhz @ 25mW). Moving it would be tricky, but I'll see what I can do. I'll also try another power supply if I can.