Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:13 pm In-progress recordings are a bit weird. If you are watching an in-progress recording Kodi isn't even going to ask to set a resume point.
It must be the DVR backend doing it then since I do get a resume point when watching a recording in progress as long as I don't stop it too close to the beginning or too close to live. It seems you have to be somewhere around 3 minutes behind live to get a resume point. Any closer to live it gets marked as watched. I'll have to play around with the HDHomeRun app on my Shield and see if that works the same way. If so I'll ask about it in the HDHomeRun Software section. Thanks for looking into it.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

No, it will be Kodi that sets it unless you are watching via HDHomeRun app. The 3 minutes seems right as well from the Kodi perspective. Maybe I did do something to make it work for in-progress recordings in the past :) It's been a year, hard to keep track of things!

I think it would be nice if Kodi allowed us to configure those deltas; let me see what I can find out on that, I really don't want to need to add a "restart required" option, but I will if it's necessary.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:19 am No, it will be Kodi that sets it unless you are watching via HDHomeRun app. The 3 minutes seems right as well from the Kodi perspective. Maybe I did do something to make it work for in-progress recordings in the past :) It's been a year, hard to keep track of things!

I think it would be nice if Kodi allowed us to configure those deltas; let me see what I can find out on that, I really don't want to need to add a "restart required" option, but I will if it's necessary.
OK, thanks.
I just tried the HDHomeRun app and it does set a resume point if you stop watching a recording in progress that is caught up to live.

I hope this doesn't cause you too much grief. I appreciate everything you are doing and don't want to put you out for something that isn't a showstopper.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:53 am I just tried the HDHomeRun app and it does set a resume point if you stop watching a recording in progress that is caught up to live.
Yes. Kodi has different logic for making the request. If the stream has a start time of "zero" (Recorded) it enables asking to set the resume point. A recording in progress is considered live (unless I changed that, this came up fairly recently, I really may have!) and has a start time based on the wall clock.

No worries about any requests/concerns at all. I would like to be able to configure how this works too!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Hi Ken.F! Found what I think will do the trick for you, no code changes required:

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_au ... ume_points

It does require you to make an advancedsettings.xml file and mirror that on all Kodi clients, though. There's even a spiffy little graphic out there that helps explain the calculations and some examples for different ways to thwart the system.

Hope this helps, and if you want to pursue a way to toggle the old and new behaviors in the addon let me know. I'm thinking this is what you're looking for, though! Funny how I didn't even think to look at advancedsettings.xml and went sifting through Kodi code first - lol.

edit: Oh, and yes, I did make resume points work for in-progress recordings about a year ago. Sorry that slipped my mind, sir!

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm Hi Ken.F! Found what I think will do the trick for you, no code changes required:
That looks promising. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm Hi Ken.F! Found what I think will do the trick for you, no code changes required:

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_au ... ume_points
That works great! Setting the ignorepercentatend value to 0 forces it to always set a resume point when stopping playback of a recording in progress regardless of how close to live you are. A side effect of that is when recordings have been played to the end they get a resume icon instead of a check mark. I experimented with other values and setting it to .05 (1.8 seconds per hour) seems to mostly fix that on my Win7 PC. The system clock on that computer is usually several seconds slow so I have a bit of extra wiggle room before it marks a recording in progress as watched when I stop playback. The system clock on my Linux PCs are way more accurate so it's harder to get dial in. It would be much easier to manage if it was in seconds instead of percent. I think ignoring 1 second at end would work well since the DVR doesn't let you get closer than about 2 seconds of live. I have no idea why they thought using a percentage of length was better than a number of seconds for that setting.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Woot! My best guess as to why it was a percentage is that it was likely designed around movies. Perhaps the prevailing theory was the longer the movie, the longer the end credits? For TV shows it doesn't make much sense.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

FYI, I have gotten much father along than ever before on cross-compiling for iOS and tvOS, but I have absolutely no way to test this if it ever actually builds. There are multiple hurdles to overcome here, and since I don't have any iOS or tvOS devices (and I'm sorry but I will not purchase any), there is basically no way for me to move beyond the "yup, it builds" stage to the stage where I can take the Kodi images for these devices and incorporate the addon.

If you would like to volunteer to sacrifice your Apple device(s) and help me out "for the greater good", I've set up 2 discussions on GitHub. One for iOS and one for tvOS:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/discussions

I don't expect this to be a simple thing due to my complete lack of Apple knowledge, there will probably be a great deal of failures due to the necessary key signing and re-packaging concern, so if you rely on Kodi on your iOS/tvOS device and cannot absorb being able to try something that will likely fail and will require a clean-up/rollback of the Kodi package, I don't recommend volunteering :)

If you're game, hit me up on the GitHub Discussion for the platform(s) you have! No promises, but it's looking MUCH more promising than it has in the past. (I finally have somewhat of an ace up my sleeve, per-se).

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I'm rescinding the iOS/tvOS request(s) for now; I've determined that I really need to figure out a good way to get beyond GCC 4.9 on the Linux builds first. This will pretty much require a move to clang (a good thing), but there are a lot of things to consider and deal with on the generic GNU Linux builds to make sure I don't trash everything and send out a build that flat-out won't work anymore. As we know, a truly bad build requires users to manually download and install a prior build AND disable automatic updates in Kodi until the solution is found.

There is also a driver here that the system I'm using for Linux/Android/MacOS builds (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) is also going out of support in a couple months. I'd like to go to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS but the minimum toolsets required to produce these generic *nix builds just aren't available anymore.

When I have something viable, I'll reach out again. Sorry for any false hope!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Kodi 19.0 was released late yesterday, I've updated the Universal Windows (UWP) packages for any folks on XBox (or Windows 10 UWP):

Version 4.4.1a (Build 7720)
for Kodi 19.x "Matrix"
- Update Univeral Windows (UWP) .MSIX packages for Matrix 19.0

Downloads: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... rix-(19.x)

I also added installation instructions for Matrix (pretty much the same as Leia) to the wiki. The download pages have been renamed, will go to the first couple posts here and adjust them.

NOTE: There are no changes required to the addon to support 19.0 "final", you should be good to go. Universal Windows needs the addon cooked into the .MSIX package, so it has to be updated via a new package.

edit: For what it's worth, I am absolutely done trying to deal with iOS and tvOS; not going to happen and the "todo" will be removed shortly. OS/X is as good as it will ever get in the Apple Ecosystem. It's open-source, anyone can feel free to port to these ecosystems at their discretion :)

fletchb

Post by fletchb »

I just installed Kodi 19 on a windows 10 machine but not getting any guide data. Is there a trick to this new version? Note My main tv is still has 18 on it because I wanted to make sure 19 worked before I upgraded (and google has not updated to 19 yet). I have not fooled with this in a while so could be something simple I am doing wrong.
Thanks.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

No, you're OK, there is something amiss with the backend server that supplies the XMLTV data. I'm getting an HTTP 500 error as well. Confirmed with a browser.

I'll see if a post was opened in the Software forum and if not open one to let them know. Maybe they can help to fix it, but it's the weekend (everybody needs downtime!)

fletchb

Post by fletchb »

djp952 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:30 pm No, you're OK, there is something amiss with the backend server that supplies the XMLTV data. I'm getting an HTTP 500 error as well. Confirmed with a browser.

I'll see if a post was opened in the Software forum and if not open one to let them know. Maybe they can help to fix it, but it's the weekend (everybody needs downtime!)
Thank you for letting me know . No worries will try again later.
regards,Fletch

djp952

Post by djp952 »

fletchb, you should be good to go now, NickK got on and fixed it for us. (appreciate that, Nick!)

You can bounce Kodi or do a "trigger guide listing update" from the PVR & Live TV Client settings to force the reload.