VLAN support

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
viclive79

VLAN support

Post by viclive79 »

Is there anyway the software can be configured for a manual IP or to work across VLANs. It seems there are a number of discovery methods that could be used that would not limit you to a single subnet. If that isn't feasible it would be great to just have manual connections. It would be great if there were other mitigations to the current limitations of the software/firmware given the increased security postures people are implementing on their networks.

rpcameron

Re: VLAN support

Post by rpcameron »

There are broadcast relays that can work across subnets. Also, there are mDNS relays and/or repeaters that forward messages across subnets.

Perhaps if you were clearer about your network and what you're trying to achieve?

jec6613

Post by jec6613 »

Making it easily routable creates all sorts of legal headaches. Now I can route it over the internet, for instance.

That said, it currently can be done, it's just not super easy. I'm not going to type out all of the requisite background information you'd need to do it, but suffice it to say there are a few methods that work fine if you understand how mDNS works.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

At the moment there are no firm plans for such advanced/manual controls/support in the official app. There are some third party options that will work today, though.

The easiest method would be to use a server app that can take care of remote locations, be it over the internet or over a different vlan. There's Plex and Emby for paid options for that, and there's also Jellyfinn which takes a little more set up, but works very well and is totally free (and open source). These options can even use security certificates, so it might be the most secure, compared to forwarding ports or various broadcast traffic.

A simpler setup would be to use the HDHomeRun's http server and forward port 5004, which is needed for video. Anything that can play network video streams should work with this, like VLC or Kodi, as it's just a matter of using a URL for the channel to see live video: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/http_api

It's more bare bones (depending on the app used), but is likely more secure than forwarding all broadcast packets between vlans, which the official HDHomeRun app would require.

viclive79

Post by viclive79 »

Thanks all for the responses. I have it working with UDPBroadcast relay on my PFSENSE using /usr/bin/nohup /root/udpbroadcastrelay/./udpbroadcastrelay --id 1 --port 65001 --dev VLAN1 --dev VLAN2. With all the appropriate firewall rules it appears to work fine for the Windows setup app, android app, firetv app, but windows 10 app doesn't like it. Per packet inspection it appears that my HDHomeRun Prime proxies back through some silicon dust webservice and that must confuse things. I'm guessing there is some reason why my traffic isn't staying local? Seems odd and wasteful that streams would do that. I'm probably missing something like it's required for DRM or something but not 100%. Like i said for my config it seems to working for all my Entertainment devices within on VLAN, my more secure devices in another. As for the other posts i use plex for most things but a lot of times the transcoding kicks in and seems like overhead when you should be able to just schedule the tuner and listen to the stream. The nice thing plex has (on some of it's apps) is the ability to manually connect to an ip which makes the discover thing obe and that was my original request in the thread.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Video traffic is always local when using the HDHomeRun app. Communication with our servers is for guide data, checking for firmware updates, and some DVR-related functions. Some of that comes from the HDHomeRun app, and some of it comes from the HDHomeRun tuner unit. The actual HDHomeRun unit will work as a tuner without communication with our servers, or the internet, when using a third party app (our app needs to load some UI files remotely).

Someone did a nice writeup of what happens when HDHomeRun units connect: https://blog.pepperland.cloud/isolating ... stigation/

EDIT: seems his website is down, hrm.