HDHomeRun Prime not detecting PROTECTED channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ahallasjr

HDHomeRun Prime not detecting PROTECTED channels

Post by ahallasjr »

Verizon Fios

Running a channel scan does not pick up any protected channels eg. HBO, Showtime, Fox Business. All other non-protected channels appear.
I know even though I couldn't record HBO etc. I should be able to watch it live.
The tuner reports a strong cable signal. Does anybody have any answers?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun Prime not detecting PROTECTED channels

Post by signcarver »

Showtime isn't typically DRM on fios but HBO and Fox (cable) channels should be.

Main thing is to make sure card is properly validated. (look at the cablecard menu)

ahallasjr

Post by ahallasjr »

After a channel scan, none of the protected channels are in the list.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

But what does the cablecard menu screen show? and the pages off that page from the card.

There are basically 2 main things that cause this and a third that can occur but most likely didn't in your case since the other channels work. The first is proper paring (make sure the card has validation). The second which is much less common is staging the card with your channels and it would be rare for "all" drm to be affected like that but since you mentioned showtime if you were supposed to get showtime and that usually isn't drm it may be an indication but typically the fox channels wouldn't be an issue if your non-drm from the same tier was working. The third is related to vct/vctid and getting a table that doesn't have your channels... it would be next to impossible in practice that they would have a (an additional) vct that properly contains all the non drm channels and not the drm channels... most people with an improper vctid wouldn't receive any channels.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

ahallasjr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:56 pm After a channel scan, none of the protected channels are in the list.
That's a typical symptom when your Cable card is not properly activated on FIOS. You need call Verizon to get it resolved.

ahallasjr

Post by ahallasjr »

It was a defective cable card that wouldn't activate. After spending hours on the phone with a variety of clueless Verizon "Techs", I talked them into sending me another cable card. When I received another card, it activated but only scanned default channels, not what I buy from Verizon. Pretty disgusted I called again and waited for an hour before they answered. And guess what, I got a Tech who actually knew what he was doing! In 20 minutes he had the card activated with the correct channels and everything was good.

Lesson to be learned DON'T GIVE UP.

Thank you everybody for the help.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Usually best for cablecard issues to deal with Verizon in their "direct" forum on dslreports.com (seems to have pruned some topics lately so not sure if they are still the best solution- not that you could have read those direct posts since they are private but I used to see pages and pages there)

s230914

Post by s230914 »

I'm brand new to this forum.

I'm having a similar problem with Cox in Gilbert. This is a card that was already activated, but paired (along with a Tuning Adapter) with a TiVo. After the everything was properly paired by someone that actually seemed to know what they were doing, I was able to scan all the channels, however only a handful showed up in Plex. I went to check the channels on the card, and all of the missing channels were marked DRM. Virtually all of the channels on the Cox cable are DRM? Is that possible? This card and T/A combo worked fine in my TiVo, even my Hockey Package came through. Other than trying a new card, which I am loathe to do, I'm looking for some other trouble shooting ideas to try first. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the changes they made at the end of the month. I got a notice and tested the tivo's and they worked fine, and still do. Is there something else that I can try besides re-booting everything? It seems odd that when I first went through the process the card was not paired and same channels that were available without the card and T/A were still there, but seems none of the other channels came through as non-DRM.

TIA

Ken

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Yes, from various reports, Cox is DRM almost all the channels. That means your only option is either TiVo or Windows Media Center. No other 3rd party solutions support DRM recording although HDHomeRun app will support viewing only. If your cable co wants to do this way, there is nothing you can do about it.

That's not the same problem OP encounters here.

s230914

Post by s230914 »

Thanks. I can't even view the channels in Plex, let alone record them. How is it that TiVo supports this and my Prime device does not? This sounds like a firmware/software issue.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Prime only does the tuning, the decoding is done on the specific software you're using to view the channels, and DRM decoding requires that software to be CableLabs certified. Windows Media Center and the HDHomeRun apps are certified and support DRM decoding, while Plex uses the open source FFmpeg project for its decoding, so it doesn't support DRM channels.
Last edited by kyl416 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

s230914 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:10 pm Thanks. I can't even view the channels in Plex, let alone record them. How is it that TiVo supports this and my Prime device does not? This sounds like a firmware/software issue.
Prime does support it, but only on DRM platforms which means Windows Media Center or HDHR app. Plex is not an CableLabs approved DRM platform. So you will never be able to view DRM channels. TiVo is also CableLabs certified platform for both recording and viewing DRM channels. HDHomerun app is only certified to view live channels, not recording them.

s230914

Post by s230914 »

foxbat121 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 pm
s230914 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:10 pm Thanks. I can't even view the channels in Plex, let alone record them. How is it that TiVo supports this and my Prime device does not? This sounds like a firmware/software issue.
Prime does support it, but only on DRM platforms which means Windows Media Center or HDHR app. Plex is not an CableLabs approved DRM platform. So you will never be able to view DRM channels. TiVo is also CableLabs certified platform for both recording and viewing DRM channels. HDHomerun app is only certified to view live channels, not recording them.
I just tried the app from my Android tablet and that failed to view live channels. So I'm still with a useless device.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Since you said you moved the card and adapter from a TiVO to the Prime, you might need to contact the cable company and have them pair the card to your Prime before the DRM channels will work.

Also, what specific Android Tablet are you using and what version of Android is it running?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

There are many things that can cause a failure with DRM protected channels. On android make sure you are using the latest official HDHomeRun app (which is live play when it comes to DRM protected content, not recorded) and that it is an official non-rooted device (no-name-brands often will fail as it needs to verify it can keep the content protected) also wifi may cause enough delay to make it fail (cox supplied gateways are often really bad at this), also location services need to be on and there are a few other things.

In the phoenix area (not sure if that was the Gilbert you meant), cox only has locals as not being DRM protected. Also make sure the scan picks up the channels as something in your original post makes me wonder if the card is properly paired but your symptoms of what you were trying to use can happen with DRM protected channels even when properly paired as DRM channels require a protected path but the HDHomeRun app should work with protected channels on Android, iOS and Windows 10 but there are many things that can cause issue on each.