Cox and DRM

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Cox and DRM

Post by foxbat121 »

SD has an app for LG but not sure if DRM is supported. Check the LG thread here.

Sony is using Android TV. So HDHR app works on it with DRM support.

Vizio runs its own customized Android OS. There is no app for it.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

If you decide on Android TV (new Sony TV or Chromecast dongle) and prefer a grid-type channel guide, you can use Google's Live Channels app with your Prime.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

thedoomster wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:14 pm If you decide on Android TV (new Sony TV or Chromecast dongle) and prefer a grid-type channel guide, you can use Google's Live Channels app with your Prime.
You still have to install HDHR app for DRM viewing inside the Live Channels app (the app also is hidden to Chromecast with Google TV now. You have to spend extra effort to make it work).

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

foxbat121 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:28 am SD has an app for LG but not sure if DRM is supported. Check the LG thread here.

Sony is using Android TV. So HDHR app works on it with DRM support.

Vizio runs its own customized Android OS. There is no app for it.
Thanks. I'll research LG but would be OK with the Sony version. I'll stay away from Vizio if they don't have a native app.
thedoomster wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:14 pm If you decide on Android TV (new Sony TV or Chromecast dongle) and prefer a grid-type channel guide, you can use Google's Live Channels app with your Prime.
Thanks. If you have any links on setting that up I would appreciate it. When I searched for using Chromecast with HDHR I only found two options. Using Home to cast the screen (not good) and another way that may be outdated as I didn't have the options on my phone.
foxbat121 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:05 pm You still have to install HDHR app for DRM viewing inside the Live Channels app (the app also is hidden to Chromecast with Google TV now. You have to spend extra effort to make it work).
Thanks. If you have any links that would be great.

UPDATE:
I was able to verify it's working fine on XBOX One S, PS3 (DLNA), Galaxy S20 (my phone) and an iPad. I was able to do screen share from my Galaxy S20 with Google home but that didn't work well. Screen size was off, quality wasn't great and the stream was choppy.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Chromecast isn't going to cut it. You can try the new Chromecast with Google TV ($49) which is an Android TV streamer from Google that can run HDHR app and come with its own remote or you can use TV remote to control it.

Also, with the current gen Sony TV, the Live Channels has been baked into the default TV app so that when you install HDHR app on it, it will automatically become a channel provider to that default TV UI. You can use normal channel navigation ways (CH up/down or direct channel numbers as well as grid guide) on the TV as if it is from the antenna. Not sure if previous generations of Sony TV is the same way as I don't have experience with them.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

foxbat121 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 am Chromecast isn't going to cut it. You can try the new Chromecast with Google TV ($49) which is an Android TV streamer from Google that can run HDHR app and come with its own remote or you can use TV remote to control it.

Also, with the current gen Sony TV, the Live Channels has been baked into the default TV app so that when you install HDHR app on it, it will automatically become a channel provider to that default TV UI. You can use normal channel navigation ways (CH up/down or direct channel numbers as well as grid guide) on the TV as if it is from the antenna. Not sure if previous generations of Sony TV is the same way as I don't have experience with them.
Thanks. I discovered while doing some research on Chromecast. I might grab one of the new ones to play around with and if that works consider switching my TV infrastructure off of FireTV devices. Then I'll have a bunch (5) of FireTV devices for sale :). Actually there's a couple of TV's that are rarely used and local channels may be enough for those.

Nice. I guess that means I'll be focused on the Sony OLED then. Now I just need them on a great sale.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

UPDATE: It appears Cox is removing DRM on many channels. I'm not sure if this is permanent. At least if they go back I know how to get my TV back. Luckily I don't really need DVR service. I use it occasionally but may consider dropping it when it's about time to renew.

Thanks everyone for their help and to SiliconDust support for getting back to me as well.

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker »

foxbat121 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 am Chromecast isn't going to cut it. You can try the new Chromecast with Google TV ($49) which is an Android TV streamer from Google that can run HDHR app and come with its own remote or you can use TV remote to control it.

That is great! Anything that can get a grid guide and protected channels is a win.