Is now a good time to pick up the HDHR5-4K?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Bud Melman

Is now a good time to pick up the HDHR5-4K?

Post by Bud Melman »

I would love to get one of these today. I already set up my ClearStream 4MAX antenna in attic, so I'm dying to see how it works. I know not many markets are using ATSC 3.0 yet, but I think by the end of 2021, there will be quite a few.

That said, I have two questions before I pull the trigger.

1. Does SiliconDust ever have a sale on these things? I would hate to buy it today, only to have it be on sale next week.
2. Is the HDHR5-4K somewhat future proof? Again, I would hate to buy it today, only to have a new model come out next month.

Anyone know?

I'm not in a real hurry to purchase the HDHR5-4K as I still have my Cable TV, ATSC 3.0 is not up and running yet in my area, and I don't plan on cutting the cord yet, although I would like to do it soon.

Thanks

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: Is now a good time to pick up the HDHR5-4K?

Post by ebo »

I wouldn't buy any ATSC 3.0 tuner until at least one station starts broadcasting that in my area. Even then I'd first want to be able to play its H.265 video and AC-4 audio as conveniently as I can now play ATSC 1.0's MPEG-2 video and AC-3 audio. Many devices can play the video now but few can play the audio. I'll wait 'til that changes.

The HDHR5-4K's price might or might not come down before you get a 3.0 broadcast but it probably won't go up. Nobody outside of SD knows if they're planning an improved model, and they won't tell us until they're ready to market it. Nor should they.

Meanwhile, you can use whatever ATSC 1.0 tuner(s) you have to try out your new antenna. Most people at least have a TV with a digital tuner, even if they only use it as a monitor for their cable box. If you don't have an earlier HDHR model you might want to buy one (some are much cheaper than the 4K) to get used to how it works.

If you post your town or zip code we'll have a better idea what your reception might be like. Others here could help you if you have trouble getting ATSC 1.0 broadcasts.

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Post by ronintexas »

I live in the Austin, TX market, which is listed as "live on ATSC 3.0". That is partly true...They rearranged the channels, and are using a lower power tower to broadcast the signal (it is a lot more reliable in ATSC 3.0 compared to ATSC 1.0), and only one of the four stations are actually broadcasting video (KEYE-CD - the CBS affiliate), and that station is using a standard HD signal with AC-4 audio (works on my FireTV Cube, XBOX One and Windows installs, but not on my Roku Devices).

I am the "ultimate tech head" (my garage is full of gadgets), and I wanted to see it in action. It is a great diagnostics tool for OTA broadcasts, giving a lot more information as compared to the standard TV "strength" meter. I can also watch TV on my computer...but actual benefits aren't there yet.

I understood when I purchased that is was a "beta product", and I am okay with that. It works great, and the SiliconDust team is working hard to push out the improvements. Eventually, I will purchase a 2nd unit (maybe a 2nd generation) when support for Plex is available (or other DVR software). Until then, my Tablo DVRs are recording for me.

Bud Melman

Post by Bud Melman »

Thanks ebo and ron. I live in Newport RI. Not sure when ATSC will be turned on in RI. All the ATSC 30 web sites are very nebulous when it comes to go live in RI.

That said, I think I'm going to buy one of these. They are backwards compatible, with ATSC 1.0, so aside from paying double the price, I can still use it for the time being and it will be somewhat future proof (as far as I can tell).

yourpalfranc

Post by yourpalfranc »

You should read through the ATSC 3.0 Forum on this site. It's not very pretty. However, if you buy now you WILL have 2 ATSC 1.0 tuners that work fine. Hopefully, by the time that you have ATSC 3.0 service in your area, SD will have the bugs worked out of the new Quatro 4K.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

yourpalfranc wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 am You should read through the ATSC 3.0 Forum on this site. It's not very pretty. However, if you buy now you WILL have 2 ATSC 1.0 tuners that work fine. Hopefully, by the time that you have ATSC 3.0 service in your area, SD will have the bugs worked out of the new Quatro 4K.
That is partially false/misleading as you will have 4 ATSC 1.0 tuners that will work fine as the 2 3.0 tuners are compatible with 1.0. Since SD now changes the numbering of the ATSC 3.0 channels, there isn't any real reason to not get a 4K unit (other than price). Just be aware of the caveats of ATSC 3.0 and particularly AC-4. My personal opinion on the price is at a $50 difference it is a no brainer to go to the latest but in the past quatros went on sale for around $100-$120 and that $80-$100 difference would make it a bit harder to justify particularly if you don't have any 3.0 signals to play with yet. I do not anticipate the "4K" unit to go on sale much cheaper in the next couple of years (possibly a promotion of DVR for a year and/or an occasional $20 break but don't really see such price break happening) and it is quite possible SD will "only" have the newer version shortly but that may need to wait until the Scribe 4K comes out :) (makes sense for that to be the next step, then 4 atsc 3.0 capable tuners rather than 2 but SD's plans could be anything).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

signcarver wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:52 pm until the Scribe 4K comes out :) (makes sense for that to be the next step, then 4 atsc 3.0 capable tuners rather than 2 but SD's plans could be anything).
Thumbs up!

HDHomeRun SCRIBE 4K (HDVR-4K-1TB) is in the works - will be available in March for $279 vs the HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K at $199.

Nick

Bud Melman

Post by Bud Melman »

Thanks signcarver, most helpful although my indeciveness is now worse than it was before.

Nick, does the HDHomeRun SCRIBE 4K have newer components than the HDHR5-4K, or does it just add the ability to record? If it's new components, I'll just wait till March. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards grabbing the HDHR5-4K soon.

Thoughts?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Bud Melman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 pm Thanks signcarver, most helpful although my indeciveness is now worse than it was before.

Nick, does the HDHomeRun SCRIBE 4K have newer components than the HDHR5-4K, or does it just add the ability to record? If it's new components, I'll just wait till March. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards grabbing the HDHR5-4K soon.
The CONNECT 4K and SCRIBE 4K have the exact same tuner and RF tech inside. The difference is the SCRIBE has a 1TB HDD.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Seems like the Scribe 4K is getting here 4-6 months before I expected (blind guessing at but after being here in the forum for 13+ years I think I tend to understand how some things at SD work including an "expected" announcement this/next week).

Personally for me the "4K" units have been far more superior in pulling in stations than the quatros and many have stated the same while only a couple posts of people having the opposite problem. RF can be tricky but in general the newer the device, the more people it serves well but that doesn't apply to everyone's exact circumstances and reception conditions.

Bud Melman

Post by Bud Melman »

Thanks signcarver. I think you have convinced me to pick up a 4K.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Mine just started working sound and video with my older Shield today so glad I made the investment and gamble to pick one up early. I love tech in all forms and like new toys. I can use the record service I also supported on kick starter to record with it to a drive in one of the computers on my network. I set up a test recording years ago when I got my HD HomeRun Prime for my cable system with a cable card and it has been happily recording Drive Time on PBS since provided the computer it uses is awake so I don't see any problem using it with my new 4k unit. You'll probably have to have a always on box to record to, or a way to make sure the box you use gets woke up every time a recording is scheduled. Otherwise that Scribe unit is probably self contained with the built-in hard drive and will do it's thing automatically just like Windows Media Center does with my Prime on my old win7 box.
I'm sure Nick and others can fill you in on exactly how either option works better than I can and the best option for you.

Bud Melman

Post by Bud Melman »

Just curious; does anyone know if the underside of the HDHR5-4K have holes for mounting to a wall (or rack in a vertical position)?

yourpalfranc

Post by yourpalfranc »

I can confirm that the new Quatro 4K is not set up for wall mount. I had to buy a separate solution. Actually, my old Quatro doesn't have that option, either.

Bud Melman

Post by Bud Melman »

Thanks yourpalfranc. What was your separate solution?