ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham - 2020

ATSC 3.0 Forum
kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: ATSC 3.0: Raleigh/Durham

Post by kyl416 »

rljnc wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:12 pm Even after the 20210104 update I still do not have audio on my 2015 model shield. I do have audio on my 2019 shield.
Nvidia only paid for a Dolby license for their 2019 models, so you're not going to get audio on the 2015 or 2017 models without it being connected to a soundbar or AV Receiver that supports AC-4 audio.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

nickk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:54 pm 105.11 - we have confirmed the issue and understand the problem. Working on correct handling now.

Nick
Thank you, Nick!

There are 3 channels with this issue.
I assume those will be fixed as well?
105.11/WRAL, 134.11/WARZ, 150.11/WRAZ

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The .11 channels - can you please try this beta firmware build:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 5beta1.bin

Run C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe
Click of the device id, then select the upgrade tab.

Nick

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

nickk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:07 pm The .11 channels - can you please try this beta firmware build:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 5beta1.bin

Run C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe
Click of the device id, then select the upgrade tab.

Nick
Doesn't work for me, but my signal is very low. You have access to my logs.

Hardware Model HDHR5-4K
Firmware Version 20210105beta1

Here's my info for one of the low bw 10's:

Virtual Channel 105.10 WRAL*
Frequency 527.000 MHz
Program Number 44
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 39%
Signal Quality 93%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 1.242 Mbps

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

nickk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:07 pm The .11 channels - can you please try this beta firmware build:
YES! Thank you!! I can finally tune these channels!!!

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

csdesigns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:39 pm
YES! Thank you!! I can finally tune these channels!!!
Awesome! Can you take a shot like this for WRAZ? Hope it has same bitrate.

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

DigitalBrad wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm Awesome! Can you take a shot like this for WRAZ? Hope it has same bitrate.
That actually was from WRAZ. I was using a different application to view at the time of that screenshot, so it wasn't directly reflected in the drop-down list of the Config app. Unfortunately, it looks like the encoding params are messed up though. The channel is only being broadcast at 29.97p right now. It is still 1280x720 resolution too. It looks sharper than the ATSC 1.0 counterpart, but at half the frame rate and HEVC, I'd expect it to. (You already know my feelings on how the other channels look in our area on channel 14.)

Also, must say that while I'm able to tune into these .11 frequencies, switching between channels or apps is quite buggy. For instance, I can view 150.11, but if I then try to view 105.11, I get nothing. In order to be able to re-tune one of the .11 channels, it appears I then have to do so on another device on another IP address. This isn't the first time I have experienced this with ATSC 3.0, but it is easily repeatable now.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

csdesigns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:50 pm
DigitalBrad wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm Awesome! Can you take a shot like this for WRAZ? Hope it has same bitrate.
That actually was from WRAZ. I was using a different application to view at the time of that screenshot, so it wasn't directly reflected in the drop-down list of the Config app. Unfortunately, it looks like the encoding params are messed up though. The channel is only being broadcast at 29.97p right now. It is still 1280x720 resolution too. It looks sharper than the ATSC 1.0 counterpart, but at half the frame rate and HEVC, I'd expect it to. (You already know my feelings on how the other channels look in our area on channel 14.)

Also, must say that while I'm able to tune into these .11 frequencies, switching between channels or apps is quite buggy. For instance, I can view 150.11, but if I then try to view 105.11, I get nothing. In order to be able to re-tune one of the .11 channels, it appears I then have to do so on another device on another IP address. This isn't the first time I have experienced this with ATSC 3.0, but it is easily repeatable now.
I wonder if frame rate issue is on SD side. I'd image WRAZ is sending 60fps. They are supposed to boost power in a few weeks slightly, so hopefully I'll be able to see it then. So glad you're able to see it!

Your GUI is different. Do you have dev firmware?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Can you please try this update:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 5beta2.bin

Nick

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

DigitalBrad wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:02 pm I wonder if frame rate issue is on SD side. I'd image WRAZ is sending 60fps. They are supposed to boost power in a few weeks slightly, so hopefully I'll be able to see it then. So glad you're able to see it!

I doubt the HDHomeRun is doing anything to the stream (there is no transcoder in these units). Yes, it is odd that WRAZ would convert the frame rate, but they wouldn't be the first to do so during this early phase. I have worked with other broadcasters during their launches (some PBS stations come to mind) who have done similar, mostly because the investment in new encoders hadn't really occurred yet (at least not at a full scale). FOX national should switch over to a FHD signal soon (if not already), so I assume at that point, this won't be much of an issue.

And yes, this unit I am taken screenshots of is a DEV model. I have a standard model too, though it currently isn't powered on (waiting for most of the kinks to be ironed out before I begin relying on that one).

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

csdesigns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm
DigitalBrad wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:02 pm I wonder if frame rate issue is on SD side. I'd image WRAZ is sending 60fps. They are supposed to boost power in a few weeks slightly, so hopefully I'll be able to see it then. So glad you're able to see it!

I doubt the HDHomeRun is doing anything to the stream (there is no transcoder in these units). Yes, it is odd that WRAZ would convert the frame rate, but they wouldn't be the first to do so during this early phase. I have worked with other broadcasters during their launches (some PBS stations come to mind) who have done similar, mostly because the investment in new encoders hadn't really occurred yet (at least not at a full scale). FOX national should switch over to a FHD signal soon (if not already), so I assume at that point, this won't be much of an issue.

And yes, this unit I am taken screenshots of is a DEV model. I have a standard model too, though it currently isn't powered on (waiting for most of the kinks to be ironed out before I begin relying on that one).
That make sense why your GUI looks different. I didn't get the dev firmware. :( Did you try beta 2 yet nick posted? Any improvement?

csdesigns

Post by csdesigns »

nickk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:05 pm Can you please try this update:
Appears to be slightly better, but far from perfect. These new fw versions can lock to a multi-PLP signal much better, but there is still a consistent issue with 105.11. For instance, I can tune to 150.11 and 134.11, but I can't tune to 105.11 with the Android TV or Windows apps at all (also can't lock onto the signal with TSReader Pro on this network). When I try to tune to 105.11, I can see the tuner tries its best to repeatedly lock on, but it never reaches a stable lock. With the HDHR GUI App and piping the tuned channel to VLC, I can view 105.11 however. If a PCAP would be of assistance, I can upload that later tonight.
Last edited by csdesigns on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalBrad

Post by DigitalBrad »

csdesigns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:04 pm
nickk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:05 pm Can you please try this update:
Appears to be slightly better, but far from perfect. These new fw versions can lock to a multi-PLP signal much better, but there is still a consistent issue with 105.11. For instance, I can tune to 150.11 and 134.11, but I can't tune to 105.11 with the Android TV or Windows apps at all (also can't lock onto the signal with TSReader Pro on this channel). When I try to tune to 105.11, I can see the tuner tries its best to repeatedly lock on, but it never reaches a stable lock. With the HDHR GUI App and piping the tuned channel to VLC, I can view 105.11 however. If a PCAP would be of assistance, I can upload that later tonight.
Rock on. I can't give feedback because my signal is too low. I'm close with an amplifier, but too much noise. I wish I had a Kitztech amp to try, it may do the trick.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

csdesigns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:04 pm Appears to be slightly better, but far from perfect. These new fw versions can lock to a multi-PLP signal much better, but there is still a consistent issue with 105.11. For instance, I can tune to 150.11 and 134.11, but I can't tune to 105.11 with the Android TV or Windows apps at all (also can't lock onto the signal with TSReader Pro on this channel). When I try to tune to 105.11, I can see the tuner tries its best to repeatedly lock on, but it never reaches a stable lock. With the HDHR GUI App and piping the tuned channel to VLC, I can view 105.11 however. If a PCAP would be of assistance, I can upload that later tonight.
If you have a few minutes can you please jump on IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=hdhomerun

Nick

CBme

Post by CBme »

csdesigns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm FOX national should switch over to a FHD signal soon (if not already), so I assume at that point, this won't be much of an issue.
Are you saying they are switching from 720p to 1080p for their national feeds?