The device is sitting within 5 feet of the router. The signal strength is max according to my router, it also shows the actual level which is -54 dBm. I can tell from the routers wireless log that the Shield TV does not drop the wireless connection at any point in time because the "Connected" time just continues to rise.
The issue occurs with both the HDHR app, which re-opens the channel again, but the buffer is obviously lost. The issue also occurs with Kodi and the PVR add-on that is hosted on this forum. The author has tried his very best to help me, but the errors that appear in the Kodi log are not useful. Every time I have a problem it's a "zero read stream length at XYZ" error.
I also have two Fire TV pendant versions. Those both have Kodi and the PVR add-on installed. One is on 5ghz WiFi and right next to the Shield TV. The other is on 2.4ghz and both of them work without any issues at all. I had the Fire TV going for about 4-5 hours yesterday before I stopped it when I reset my router.
On the Shield TV the device will drop the stream, sometimes in as little as 30 seconds and other times it has gone for as long as 2h11m before dropping the stream. Always with that same zero stream length message just before the channel drops. I checked the HDD with SMART and it passed, additionally all of the values appear to be normal. When I finally became exasperated with this issue I decided to unplug my VoIP device from the router and use that port to test the Shield TV. After doing that it ran for 6 hours uninterrupted until I finally pulled the ethernet cable to restore our home phone line. I've ordered a simple ethernet switch and that will obviously fix my problem, but I wanted to see if you guys can find anything out that might enable 5ghz WiFi to work if only so others don't have to deal with this.
The power went out for about an hour today around 1pm and I shut off my UPS so I don't know if that will cause any existing logs to be lost or not. Regardless I'm time-shifting an SD channel in the background over 5ghz WiFi right now so it will inevitably fail and perhaps that will yield some useful information.
My router is a Netgear R6700 changed to an R7000 by modifying the devices identifier. The two devices are identical except the R6700 has one less USB port. Note I have the original R6700 not any of the lame revisions that came out later that are NOT the same as the R7000. The primary reason I changed the router ID is that the R7000 has infinitely more options when it comes to custom firmware compared to the R6700.
At this point I'm running XWRT latest version 384.19 on my Netgear R6700/7000. Everything on the network works wonderfully and I use DNS over TLS to encrypt my DNS queries. Cloudflare is the default DNS server used both for IPv4 and IPv6. I tried disabling IPv6 on the Shield TV and it had no effect at all. I also turned off DNS filtering for the Shield TV and this had no effect either. Everything worked fine via ethernet with the same settings.
There have also been some other errors, like unable to read recorded files JSON. I made a number of posts in the Kodi add-on thread.
Code: Select all
smart: pass ID# NAME RAW VAL WST THR 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 206671792 83 64 6 3 Spin_Up_Time 0 100 100 0 4 Start_Stop_Count 7 100 100 20 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0 100 100 10 7 Seek_Error_Rate 3425266 65 60 45 9 Power_On_Hours 301 100 100 0 10 Spin_Retry_Count 0 100 100 97 12 Power_Cycle_Count 4 100 100 20 184 End-to-End_Error 0 100 100 99 187 Reported_Uncorrect 0 100 100 0 188 Command_Timeout 0 100 100 0 189 High_Fly_Writes 0 100 100 0 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 35 65 55 40 191 G-Sense_Error_Rate 0 100 100 0 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 1 100 100 0 193 Load_Cycle_Count 419 100 100 0 194 Temperature_Celsius 35 35 45 0 197 Current_Pending_Sector 0 100 100 0 198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0 100 100 0 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0 200 200 0 240 Head_Flying_Hours 138 100 253 0 241 Total_LBAs_Written 1759834936 100 253 0 242 Total_LBAs_Read 399986422 100 253 0 254 Free_Fall_Sensor 0 100 100 0
Just now while I'm time-shifting to get it to break again I got an error, but not one that stopped playback.
GetRecordingLastPlayedPosition failed due to an exception: [http get request on 192.168.0.3:80/recorded_files.json?SeriesID=xyz] failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer (1)
The address is manually assigned via DHCP using the MAC address.
Anyway, like I said I ordered a switch so I can move the VoIP device off the router so I don't have to use WiFi for the Shield TV. It'd be nice if we could solve this so somebody else doesn't have to deal with it.
I'm sending the Shield tube back because I decided to get a Shield TV Pro instead. So on the off chance this is some kind of hardware issue with the device we'll find that out in a few days when the Pro model arrives. It'll be here on the 4th and the switch will be here the 3rd. I'll try Wifi to verify if the problem remains.
The author of the Kodi add-on stated "What's happening with this addon boils down to "Connection reset by peer" errors when communicating with the Scribe while streaming and while accessing Recording discovery information." As noted above the same problem occurs using the HDHR app on the Shield TV. Only difference is that HDHR app immediately re-opens the stream for that channel.
Let me know if you need me to do anything else to try to help solve this issue. Thanks for your time.