ATSC 3.0: Denver - Jan 2021

ATSC 3.0 Forum
SithLordSid

ATSC 3.0: Denver - Jan 2021

Post by SithLordSid »

After the firmware update to 20210104, I'm no longer receiving ATSC 1.0 channel KMGH-TV but I receive the ATSC 3.0 channel 107.1.

ppasteur

Re: ATSC 3.0: Denver

Post by ppasteur »

I just tried it. I can get both the channel labeled 7.1 and the 107.1 channel. Have you checked the HDHR tech GUI to see if you can tune it that way?

This change is very positive. I can now chose either. Not only that the ATSC channels locally are all working properly with sound and decent PQ on the Windows 10 client as well as both Nvidia Shields (2017 and 2019 PRO).
I have not tried the rest yet (ATV4K, Firetv, Roku, etc).

PS. I did just try the Fire HD 10. the ATSC 3 channels will not play
"Unable to play channel:
(android) video codec failed."

This is with the 20210104 revision to the client.
Will need to verify Roku and Firetv 4k.
Last edited by ppasteur on Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SithLordSid

Post by SithLordSid »

No, I cannot see it at all. I was able to see it before the update. Perhaps it is because of a signal issue?

Tuner 0 Status
Virtual Channel 107.1 KMGH
Frequency 593.000 MHz
Program Number 5003
Modulation Lock atsc3
Signal Strength 100%
Signal Quality 50%
Symbol Quality none
Streaming Rate none
Resource Lock 10.20.30.8

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

did you try a fresh scan for channels? AND/or is 7.1 still showing up in the channel lineup? In the GUI, can you tune to physical channel 7 and see sub-channels?

SithLordSid

Post by SithLordSid »

I have refreshed the channel list multiple times but I will give it a try again and reply back. How do you manually tune to channel 7?

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

https://www.silicondust.com/support/tech/

I was talking about using the HDHR tech GUI.

Windows (new HDHomeRun Config GUI for TECH)

You need to get that from either the full installer from the HDHR downloads (I don't believe that the Windows store version installs it) or the link above. Though that link seems to be for an older version.

I would post a screen shot, but can't figure out to do it with this forum software. A google search will likely get you more info.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

The version of the HDHomeRun Config GUI on that page is specifically for their commercial rack mounted tech devices and doesn't include features like the PLP flags for ATSC 3.0 stations.

If you want the HDHomeRun Config GUI, install the latest version of the HDHomeRun Software for Windows and you'll find hdhomerun_config_gui in the Program Files\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun folder:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... indows.exe

Also, RF 7 isn't the only source for KMGH's ATSC 1.0 signal, depending on where you are (and what type of antenna you have), you might have better luck with one of their UHF simulcasts like KZFC-LD on RF 23, KZCO-LD on RF 30, KSBS-CD on RF 19, KCDO-TV on RF 23, or one of their numerous translators to reach other parts of Colorado.

SithLordSid

Post by SithLordSid »

Thank you I have found it. I cannot browse directly to 7.1

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

Having 100% strength but nothing for quality usually means it's being fed too strong of a signal, or you have massive RF interference issues in your area.

If you're using an amplifier, try removing it.

SithLordSid

Post by SithLordSid »

I only have an external antenna hooked up and I reside in Aurora - 80013. I was able to view the channel prior to the firmware update to 20210104 only had audio on the select devices that support Dolby lol.

Here is the antenna I'm using which can be found on Amazon with a google search.

"U MUST HAVE Amplified HD Digital TV Antenna Long 180 Miles Range - Support 4K 1080p Fire tv Stick and All Older TV's - Indoor Smart Switch Amplifier Signal Booster - 18ft Coax HDTV Cable/AC Adapter"

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

Yeah, mudflap antennas like that are crap for reliable VHF reception. Antennas designed like that pick up what little VHF reception they get from the positioning of the unshielded cord and not the antenna itself, which makes it extra sensitive to any interfering noise, and performance is worse once you get into the lower RF numbers. You need something with real VHF elements for reliable reception of KMGH's RF 7 signal.

Also, here's a tip, if you're searching for antennas on Amazon avoid anything that claims ranges of 100+ miles, have graphics falsely claiming it can get cable only channels like ESPN, CNN, Golf Channel, Fox Sports Net, Fox Soccer, BTN, MSNBC, A&E, ABC Family (who hasn't used that name in years) and Nickelodeon, and call PBS "PBC" in the description. Unfortunately Amazon has zero quality control over 3rd party sellers, so their antenna listings are plagued with crap antennas making false claims. Most of these antennas are just a piece of tin foil in cheap plastic attached to a poorly designed amplifier that does more harm than good.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

SithLordSid wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:52 pm I only have an external antenna hooked up and I reside in Aurora - 80013. I was able to view the channel prior to the firmware update to 20210104 only had audio on the select devices that support Dolby lol.

Here is the antenna I'm using which can be found on Amazon with a google search.

"U MUST HAVE Amplified HD Digital TV Antenna Long 180 Miles Range - Support 4K 1080p Fire tv Stick and All Older TV's - Indoor Smart Switch Amplifier Signal Booster - 18ft Coax HDTV Cable/AC Adapter"
As Kyle416 indicated, it is probably your antenna. Previously you were probably getting 7.1 at a UHF frequency. The antenna may do an OK job on UHF from your location. But even that is questionable. Rather you may just be lucky. To get 7.1 on the high VHF band (Physical channel 7 at the very bottom of high VHF), you probably need a "good" antenna that is really rated for high VHF.

You could try some of the other frequencies/channels that kyle416 mentions using the config UI and see if you can get any of them. Or, as long as the ATSC 3 channel is working well for you, just use that.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

Phil

SithLordSid

Post by SithLordSid »

Do you guys have any suggestions on reputable antennas? I think I can still return the crap one I ordered lol.

CBme

Post by CBme »

SithLordSid wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:19 pm Do you guys have any suggestions on reputable antennas? I think I can still return the crap one I ordered lol.
I have the Antop 400bv https://antopusa.com/product/smartpass- ... -at-400bv/ which is a aesthetically nice antenna for outside (though mine is in my attic). They have some other newer models for consideration. It has VHF elements but not not very large so there may be better for your situation. Before you swap, do make sure you turn off/remove the amplifier from your amazon purchase first and see how it is working as you might not need to replace it if turning off the amp fixes the issue. And if you get a new one, start without the amp to test with it on or off. For me it makes everything worse (fortunately most everything is good to start with).

Number of guides out there to try to determine a good model for your your use. Amazon descriptions and reviews are something that you absolutely want to ignore here.
https://www.groundedreason.com/watch-tv ... nna-guide/
https://cordcuttingreport.com/homemade- ... vs-bought/
https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna-S ... -a/134.htm

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

SithLordSid wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:19 pm Do you guys have any suggestions on reputable antennas? I think I can still return the crap one I ordered lol.
What is your installation situation? I have a 9 foot long High VHF/UHF antenna outside (Winegard HD7698P) on 15 feet of mast... on the peak of my two story house roof.
Of course, not everyone can (or wants to) do something like that.
Where you can mount an antenna would make a big difference in any recommendation that I might make.

Also, where you are is important. I know you mentioned Aurora and a zip code, but that is not very specific. Elevation and obstacles between you and the transmit antenna are important.
You can try either
https://www.antennaweb.org/
or
https://www.tvfool.com/
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=29
(enter location and antenna height. It gives a nice chart of compass bearing, distance, obstacles, and type of antenna required)
or
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
Is another good one to play with.
to get a decent idea of what you need.

I am not real sure about any of the small box "all amplifier" type of antennas, especially omnidirectional ones. If they are not designed physically to gather the signal properly, well an amp can only do so much (and can make things worse).
Remember the old computer adage, "Garbage in= Garbage out" . In any kind or marginal situation the amp can make things worse because it adds noise into the system. This can simply further degrade the signal getting to the receiver.
Not that they can't work in some circumstances, but then you get into buying and trying, perhaps too much for my patience level.

Phil