Scribe Quatro and Plex server access recordings

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
cemfduncan93

Scribe Quatro and Plex server access recordings

Post by cemfduncan93 »

I just purchased the HD Homerun Scribe Quatro.

I am also trying out using Plex server running on a Windows 10 PC.

The Scribe Quatro has an internal hard drive for recordings. Is there a way to have my Plex server access the recordings on that hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

salsaguy

Re: Scribe Quatro and Plex server access recordings

Post by salsaguy »

I just got my Scribe Duo and also have a Plex Pass and would also like to know the answer to this question
thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

At this time the internal drive on the SCRIBE is only used with the HDHomeRun DVR service.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

WHAT!!!! then why the heck did I buy the Scribe???
How am I able to record on my Scribe then if I am not paying for the service.
If I already paijd for my hardware that has an internal disk (instead of the cheaper one that doesnt0 why am I having to pay for something MORE.
The whole Idead is to cut the cord and not have to pay the monthly DVR fees that the cable/fiber optic companies charge you for hardward and DVR fees and taxes on top of that every month

I remember back in the days when I had sattellite TV with DirectTV and when I OWNED the Tivo DVR box that you didnt have to pay monthly fees as it was YOUR box that you paid for, before they changed all that

Im about ready to send this HDHomerun back then. What the heck!

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The Scribe comes with a year of DVR service included. However, SiliconDust's HDD products (Scribe/Servio) only work with their own DVR service. They have not made the storage interface they use available/public.

Although to be fair, they have never advertised these devices as being compatible with third-party software. (The exception being the tuners in the Scribe, which will work with any DVR software that supports HDHomeRun tuners. However, only the tuners can be utilized, not the drives/storage.)

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

So for me whats my best option?
I have Plex Pass but my NAS doesnt transcode video
I only use it for my audio FLAC file music streaming

I just used the HDConfig tool to install the application to store the data to my NAS which I am now testing to see if it works
Should I just let it record to my NAS instead of the Scribe and return the scribe and just get the regular tuner model if I am not wanting to pay for their DVR service after the free year ends since I already have a large 10 TB NAS drive and have Plex Plass??
This was not communicated clearly. I thought that If I had the Scribe I could record to the internal HDD and it was MY PROPERTY to watch my own recordings without paying more!!!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

salsaguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:20 pm So for me whats my best option?
I have Plex Pass but my NAS doesnt transcode video
I only use it for my audio FLAC file music streaming

I just used the HDConfig tool to install the application to store the data to my NAS which I am now testing to see if it works
Should I just let it record to my NAS instead of the Scribe and return the scribe and just get the regular tuner model if I am not wanting to pay for their DVR service after the free year ends since I already have a large 10 TB NAS drive and have Plex Plass??
This was not communicated clearly. I thought that If I had the Scribe I could record to the internal HDD and it was MY PROPERTY to watch my own recordings without paying more!!!
No one is trying to prevent you from accessing the internal drive. This is just not something the SCRIBE was designed for. The Plex software itself won't run from the SCRIBE, so any situation where Plex would use the SCRIBE would still require additional hardware to run the Plex server software.

We do hope to have some form of file sharing enabled in a future firmware update for the SCRIBE, allowing easy read/write access to the drive, but you would still need another device to run the Plex server software.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

I am running my Plex from my NAS (WD MyCloudEX2 Ultra)

I just saw that the Windows program had a install for NAS option so I ran that and was able to have it record to the NAS Shared user drive instead of the internal Scribe drive
So that would allow me to return the Scribe and just et the regular tuner model BUT.....

When I pointed the Library for Plex to look at that NAS drive location:

\shares\public\HDHomeRun\<show name>\<video name>.mpg, the HDHR seems to want to put each show into its own subdirectory and I can only point my Plex Pass Library to a single directory (you dont know what shows you will watch in the future and no way to have one for each potential show you may watchrecord)

So I can see it DID change the behavour to record the video to my NAS which is great BUT Plex wont play the file back because it doesnt see it since I had to point the Plex to the folder 1 level up from the show name, so whats my solution?
ayway to have it NOT make a separate subfolder for each show???
This way you would let Plex do the sorting and we would just see the list of all shows we had recorded on our Plex side.

Also if I just use the regualr tuner Homerun and not the scribe, will I still be able to initiate a recording of the show somehow using the HD app on the laptop or phoen or Roku? otherwise Id be back to square 1

thanks for the help
Im just trying to do the best solution for my needs and budget with the wife getting down my neck to cut the cord ASAP to stop these crazy high bills when Im out of work and shes the one taking over for all the bills and wants to reduce unnessary expenses as much as possible until I can get back to work (if ever, due to medical issues)

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Add the whole "HDHomeRun" folder to Plex as a TV library and it should work. The file names should be Plex-friendly.

Using a tuner-only HDHomeRun unit with NAS will be virtually identical to using a SCRIBE.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

Update....just went back to the Plex settings and didnt realize there was an advanced area where it was set to only scan Plex stuff and there is a pulldown option to look for personal videos.
So NOW I do see the personal video that was recorded from the HDHR Scribe Due on the Plex Movies and TV side of things and it appears on the list which is cool, BUT my NAS doesnt transcode video so I cant watch it :)
hahhah
But I can play it from My Recordings area on the HD app from Within Roku so.....
at least there is that
but having issues trying to

How do you stop a recording, lets say you dont want to record the entire episode, especially for testing purposes. I dont see a way to stop the recording even if you press on the record button again

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

salsaguy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:23 am How do you stop a recording, lets say you dont want to record the entire episode, especially for testing purposes. I dont see a way to stop the recording even if you press on the record button again
You don't, because you can't.

There is no way to stop a recording once it's started. (Even if you manually free the tuner and remove the DVR's lock on it, it will continue to try to grab a tuner to complete the recording.)

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I don't know why no one has mentioned it so far, but if you're wanting to use Plex and have a device that transcodes, you needed to buy the HDHomeRun EXTEND not the HDHomeRun SCRIBE.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

NedS wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 am Add the whole "HDHomeRun" folder to Plex as a TV library and it should work. The file names should be Plex-friendly.

Using a tuner-only HDHomeRun unit with NAS will be virtually identical to using a SCRIBE.
Sadly didnt know this was an option as its not clear
My NAS doesnt transcode sadly.

Yup it worked after I had to change the view mode in Plex to show FOLDERS and not its defaults (Movies or TV Shows) which I guess it doesnt detect OTA HDHR files as those so you have to trick it to see your own recorded stuff

yeah so it works.
I can initiate a recording from the Plex (thru Roku) using my Plex Guide and the * key for recording options.
SO yeah maybe I need to return the Scribe as it defeats my purpose if I can record to own NAS drive.
And get the 4k tuner version of the Homerun (even though I dont have a 4K tv yet)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

You don't need to transcode. Plex and Roku will work with your NAS as-is.

You can use the HDHomeRun recordings using the TV show library feature, you just need to add the HDHomeRun recording folder in the Plex server settings. It will show up as TV shows. Plex has no problem recognizing recordings from the HDHomeRun DVR as TV shows.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

Yup got it I added the folder in Plex to show my NAS drive folder and it seems to work.
good stuff