Random thought

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
fasteddie412

Random thought

Post by fasteddie412 »

First off I want to make it clear I am not trying to make a product endorsement in this post. Also I hope I am not going against forum rules by posting the link I am including. I am only including the link for reference purposes.The device is a Windows Media Center Remote. I purchased it for an old Windows 7 machine I still have. I recently discovered that when I plugged it in to my Windows 10 PC that it worked great with the Silicondust HDHomerun app for channel viewing/surfing. I don't quite know how to use it for setting up recordings, I prefer mouse and keyboard for that. https://www.amazon.com/Control-Receiver ... 353&sr=8-5.

fasteddie412

Re: Random thought

Post by fasteddie412 »

The device is considered discontinued, I guess I am just trying to also add input for future hardware or software considerations.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

This was brought up in another thread. Certain keys on MCE Remotes like the Green Button, Guide, LiveTV, RecordedTV, DVD Menu, Info, My TV, My Pictures, My Videos, My Radio, My Music and others are hardcoded to launch functions within Windows Media Center and by default don't send commands that 3rd party apps can interpret. The other major buttons like Channel Up/Down, Play/Pause/Rew/Fwd/Stop/Rec, the navigation arrows and the number keys do send out standard commands and should already function within the HDHomeRun app.

There's a 3rd party tool called AdvancedMCERemoteMapper that you can use to reassign the keys to their MCE keyboard shortcuts so 3rd party apps like the HDHomeRun software can respond to them:
https://github.com/baijuxavior/Advanced ... Mapper.exe

Here's a list of the official MCE keyboard shortcuts for those corresponding keys:
Green Button = Windows logo + Alt + Enter
Info/Details = Ctrl + D
Live TV = Ctrl + T
Recorded TV = Ctrl + O
Guide = Ctrl + G
DVD Menu = Ctrl + Shift + M
My TV = Ctrl + Shift + T
My Videos = Ctrl + E
My Music = Ctrl + M
My Pictures = Ctrl + I
My Radio = Ctrl + A
DVD Audio/SAP = Ctrl + Shift + A
Subtitles/CC = Ctrl + U
Zoom/Aspect Ratio = Ctrl + Shift + Z

Someone in another thread suggested that HDHomeRun do these modifications on our behalf, but the problem there is it would break functionality for people who use the HDHomeRun with Windows Media Center and still want those buttons to launch Windows Media Center, and it would probably violate Microsoft's developer policies if an installer modifies an unrelated part of the registry.

fasteddie412

Post by fasteddie412 »

Kyl416, thank you for the info.

gab

Post by gab »

@fasteddie412 You can find the thread at viewtopic.php?p=366697#p366697

gab

Post by gab »

kyl416 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:05 pm Someone in another thread suggested that HDHomeRun do these modifications on our behalf, but the problem there is it would break functionality for people who use the HDHomeRun with Windows Media Center and still want those buttons to launch Windows Media Center, and it would probably violate Microsoft's developer policies if an installer modifies an unrelated part of the registry.
@kyl416 Modifying the registry is indeed not ideal. On the other hand, let's be clear that adding a Desktop Extension that would call RegisterRawInputDevices() to get access to Guide, LiveTV, RecordedTV, DVD Menu, Info, My TV, My Pictures, My Videos, My Radio, My Music remote buttons without touching the registry is totally legit. It is well documented in MSDN and would not break anything. Green Button aside, it is not true that those buttons can only be used by WMC.

I really don't understand why SD is unwilling to move forward with the Desktop extension solution.