PLEX - "LIVE TV playback could not be started"

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
salsaguy

PLEX - "LIVE TV playback could not be started"

Post by salsaguy »

I have mhy brand new HDHomerun Scribe Duo all setup today
All my channels scanned and added
Added Homerun to my detected devices in my Plex Pass
I can watch live tv and get the guide on all my devices like my phone and my laptop with no issues. I can even start a recording
BUT If I try and do that with my Plex app thru my Roku Ultra, I get a "LIVE TV playback could not be started' error message, no matter what live tv channel I try
My tuner signals are all ok and my internet is working fine
I get the Plex guide just fine but it wont play the Live TV signal even though it works fine on all other GUI interfaces (laptop, phone, HD app in Roku, etc) but I need to be able to RECORD and sschedule live TV. Why does it not work?\

My Setup:

- HDHomerun Scribe Duo
- Plex Pass
- NAS (my Plex Server) - Western Digital MuCloudEX2 Ultra (with TWO 10 TB drives in RAID 1 mirrored array) - 10 TB total space with only 1.5 TB used so far and 8.5 TB free space
- Plex version on NAS: 1.21.1.3830
- Internet - Frontier FiOS Fiber optic with 100 up/100 down ethernet wired speeds

Is there a setting I need to configure correctly on my Plex side or quality and transcoding. The Scribe transcodes the stream doesnt it?
Anyone else have a similar setup like me with the NAS Plex on a WDMyCloud EX22 Ultra and get Plex to be able to work?
I am trying to cut the cord and getting the OTA channels and DVR was step 1, and then get Sling next to get rid of my expensive FIOS Cable service that is killing us for high bills when Im unemployed and cant go back to work until a COVID19 Vaccinne is widespread.
Id hate to have t return it and start all over with something else.
I didnt want to get the Sling OTA tuner since it seems it wont pause live TV which is key (even though my plan to replace the basic cable stuff will be Sling)
I thought the HDHomerun was the better product from all the reviews I watched and read
This is frustratimg
And I am a VERY tech savvy engineer so... thats not the problem :)

Please help
thanks

dgronceski

Re: PLEX - "LIVE TV playback could not be started"

Post by dgronceski »

PLEX Version 1.21.1.3830 is outright broken as is most of their Betas, I had to downgrade to 1.21.1.3766 to make my paid PlexPass DVR work again as not only does the latest beta play back fail to start but the DVR no longer recorded.

dgronceski

Post by dgronceski »

By the way watch out for the buggy SD firmware with Digital Cable and their older DUAL and QUAD hardware, so avoid rescanning once everything is working. I must manually edit the SD Digital Cable.xml for the SD drivers to find all my channels on Windows as the firmware does not capture and respond with the TransportStream correctly on virtual channels, especially with the 20200225 and newer firmware.

Same happens in Plex as it does not use Digital Cable.xml and instead tries to scan again directly resulting in corrupted channelIdentifier data in tv.plex.grabbers.tunerservice data.

PIA after every rescan I need to fix things in 2 places as I must use Plex as the native FireTV SD software does not pull the Digital Cable.xml from local networked PC's and provides no ability to correct virtual channel discovery so in a nutshell incompatible with older SD boxes 2018 and older anyway.

The Scribe should work better than my hardware so you may have better luck..

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

That sucks. Sorry for your PIA issues.
I am also wondering why if when I did a channel scan and checked/unchekced all the channels I did and didnt want, that the ones I DID NOT want still show up on the channel bar in the HD ap[ in the Roku. Isnt there a way to only show YOUR channels? and yes I also put a star on them in the HDhomerun admin UI screens so...what gives?

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

dgronceski wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:19 pm By the way watch out for the buggy SD firmware with Digital Cable and their older DUAL and QUAD hardware, so avoid rescanning once everything is working. I must manually edit the SD Digital Cable.xml for the SD drivers to find all my channels on Windows as the firmware does not capture and respond with the TransportStream correctly on virtual channels, especially with the 20200225 and newer firmware.
Well I dont have cable I have Frontier FiOS Fiber Optic service.

I didnt have any issues getting my channels list and them matching the real thing when I did the scans.
At least I didnt have to deal with that. I saw when Lon Siben on LONTV did the demo on youtube he showed he had a mess with matching up the correct channels.
But I just only did antenna TV not cable.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

salsaguy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:28 pmWell I dont have cable I have Frontier FiOS Fiber Optic service.
Once it leaves that optical terminal and the coax cable enters your home, FiOS's TV signals are delivered via QAM muxes like most digital cable services, otherwise it wouldn't be compatible with HDHomeRun devices.

AT&T U-verse and CenturyLink Prism on the otherhand use IP instead of QAM muxes, so they're not compatible with HDHomeRun devices.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

FYI to clarify...

The coax cable Im plugging to the back of my Homerun device is from my ROOF ANTENNA, and NOT the coax cable that comes from the FiOS box and goes into the back of my FiOS DVR box to watch cable TV shows.
This is pure OTA old school TV coax cable
:)
Cheers