Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
wilme2

Re: Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

Post by wilme2 »

NedS wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:22 pm The original HDHomeRun PRIME (3 tuner) is back for a limited time: https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... lto=410844

Normal price is $199.99, but non-commercial customers can use coupon code PRIME2020 and knock $50 off the price for a total of $149.99 (limit 2).
Has anyone ordered and successfully activate a tuning adapter on one of the new Primes? I have two full days trying to get one activated with Spectrum, no luck including an on-site tech.

kkingsto

Post by kkingsto »

wilme2 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 pm
NedS wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:22 pm The original HDHomeRun PRIME (3 tuner) is back for a limited time: https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... lto=410844

Normal price is $199.99, but non-commercial customers can use coupon code PRIME2020 and knock $50 off the price for a total of $149.99 (limit 2).
Has anyone ordered and successfully activate a tuning adapter on one of the new Primes? I have two full days trying to get one activated with Spectrum, no luck including an on-site tech.
Make sure you're not using the HDHR as the coax connection to the Tuning Adapter. My coax comes in, goes into a splitter, one end goes to the HDHR and other end to the Tuning Adapter. Only connecting between the 2 devices should be a USB cable.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

kkingsto wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:00 pm Make sure you're not using the HDHR as the coax connection to the Tuning Adapter. My coax comes in, goes into a splitter, one end goes to the HDHR and other end to the Tuning Adapter. Only connecting between the 2 devices should be a USB cable.
I already have one older Prime working fine. But a splitter is not the normal install - the Tuning Adapter connects to the coax in front of the HDHR.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

wilme2 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 pm
kkingsto wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:00 pm Make sure you're not using the HDHR as the coax connection to the Tuning Adapter. My coax comes in, goes into a splitter, one end goes to the HDHR and other end to the Tuning Adapter. Only connecting between the 2 devices should be a USB cable.
I already have one older Prime working fine. But a splitter is not the normal install - the Tuning Adapter connects to the coax in front of the HDHR.
That isn't usually the best way to do it... use a splitter as most often you will save yourself some aggravation. Cisco TA's one usually can get away with such daisy chaining but sometimes the TA will greatly affect the low band (where OOB resides which is very important for the cablecard) or the high band which may or may not be as important depending on your cable company (most have gone now to 1GHz systems and I have seen it affect anything above 475-600MHz) Since usually no one these days are getting "new" TAs the chances of them having such problem is becoming greater. The only time I would recommend daisy chaining a TA is with a cisco system whose signal is coming in way to low to begin with but even then, I would look at fixing that signal issue first. Motorola TAs one should almost always split as the drop out of the TA is nearly equivalent to using a 4 way splitter, usually a drop of 6-7dBmV, so using a two way splitter would drop the signal by around 3.5.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Normal or not, it's always better to use a splitter. Going through the tuning adapter is just using an internal splitter, and that is likely adding noise or degrading the signal, because tuning adapters aren't very well made machines.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the warning on using a splitter.

Still, has anyone successfully used a Tuning Adapter for Switched Digital Video on one of the new Primes? I have a ticket open with SD to review logs, after many hours of working with Spectrum.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Cisco or Motorola?

I know in the past moto had issue with newer devices and SD fixed with a firmware change until arris fixed it on there end but that was years ago but something similar may have happened again.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

Motorola. I have tried three Tuning Adapters, but all on the same cable card. I will be swapping that cable card out in the next few days, but after that I have to consider an issue with the Prime.

kkingsto

Post by kkingsto »

NedS wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:41 pm
Normal or not, it's always better to use a splitter. Going through the tuning adapter is just using an internal splitter, and that is likely adding noise or degrading the signal, because tuning adapters aren't very well made machines.
Tuning Adapters are always a pain to deal with. I normally have 350 channels. I check my.hdhomerun.com every now and then. If I see my channels go down to under 200, I know the tuning adapter had crapped out. Sometimes a power off/power on of the Prime and the TA restores things. If not, I have to "reactivate" the tuning adpater through Spectrum for it to even work. The Cisco just flashes about 8 times when that happens.

dVIAN13

Post by dVIAN13 »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 pm and who knows, maybe we'll make a 3D printable design for the enclosure to make it look more modern.
NedS, this would be an amazing consolation!. Similar to the upgrade housing for the EXTEND would be a cool idea, too...

I have been looking into how to organize 3-4 Primes in my network rack, and it is not proving to be the easiest thing to accomplish.

Maybe the possibility to release the current CAD files so at least we can play around with our own designs!? :idea:

gophillies87

Post by gophillies87 »

So disappointed that the PRIME 6 was cancelled. I have a Tivo Roamio with 6 tuners and was patiently waiting for the PRIME 6 to convert over. Now, not sure what I will do. Don't want to buy 2 PRIME 3s. Personally don't find Cable TV all that expensive when you own your equipment with a cable card. I understand the cable box rental is the problem from the cable companies. I'll stick with the Roamio for another couple of years I guess but not sure long term what to do. Tivo Edge? Then I'll have to buy that and Tivo Mini's over again. The HDHomeRun Prime 6 option would have been great. Not many other options other than stick with the Roamio and dealing with the WF (Wife Factor), diving into streaming is not an option with her. She says too complicated. She's a channel surfer.

trakz

Post by trakz »

gophillies87 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:03 pm Now, not sure what I will do. Don't want to buy 2 PRIME 3s.
I was in a similar situation. Had a couple of TiVo Premieres that provided enough tuners between them (4x2) and storage (2TB). The wife factor was a huge motivator/requirement. We pulled the trigger on 2 Primes and couldn't be happier, yes you'll need to go through the hassle of obtaining another CableCARD, but the value proposition of running the whole home TV system on a NAS, now with 16TB storage layer and being able to watch the content on anything in the house (yes, anything! AppleTV, xBOX, laptop, phone, Tivo Stream 4K, etc, etc) has been wonderful. I actually haven't yet seen all tuners in use, and if you use something like Channels, the automatic ad removal is wonderful and won't require a tuner at the time you watch.

Channels and HDHomeRun are what TiVo should've become but couldn't since the company got too big and bloated. It's a paradigm shift for sure, but even if you try a Prime for 30 days and hate it, you'll have no problem reselling it.

km

Post by km »

I just got my new Comcast bill. They have changed the way they bill for cable cards at least in my area (Atlanta).
I have one of their X1 DVR boxes, and two cable cards (HDHr Prime and an old Tivo). They are charging me $10 for the X1 and no charge for the two cable cards. Previously the cable cards were $10 each offset by $2.50 each credit for using my own equipment.

II had bought an extra Prime from this offering for insurance not expecting to activate it, not wanting to pay for a third cable card, and reflecting how little there is to record right now. However, I called up Comcast and asked if a thrird cable card was also free. They said yes, and are sending me one, so I guess I will activate the extra Prime.

I actually only have one TV, The X1 is there for On Demand, and I don't know how the pricing would change if I tried to delete the $10 X1. The Tivo HD3 is there for some redundancy, an old friend that I've hacked and can't quite pull the plug on, and it does have an OTA tuner.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

Is the 6 tuners prime DEAD ?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Rickt1962 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:03 pm Is the 6 tuners prime DEAD ?
yes