Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
manicslothpdx

Re: Is the PRIME 6 soon to be released?

Post by manicslothpdx »

That may be true, but look at how many false starts, delays and extensions it took to finally end analog broadcasts. While the people who participate in these forums are on the bleeding edge, there are lots of people who won't change until they're forced to do so. I think the cable companies will continue to support CableCards while phasing them out by attrition, and that will probably take years.

sic0048

Post by sic0048 »

gary1955 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:38 am I don't run out of tuners watching 3 different tv's. I do frequently run into problems with more than 3 programs being scheduled to record at the same time. Windows Media Center used to be able to look for conflicts and warn you if it couldn't reschedule. Channels DVR doesn't have that capacity so it has to be done manually. I have to keep the Xfinity DVR with its 4 tuners for premium channels so for me the cost of another cable card is not worth it.
You might want to look at SageTV. It use to be a paid product, but is now open source (after Google bought them and then eventually open sourced the software). It is very robust and can reschedule recording conflicts automatically. You put your "favorites" in order of importance and it will reschedule conflicts keeping that in mind. However if Show A is broadcast 3 times, and Show B only once, it will record Show B first even if Show A has a higher order of importance and then record Show A on the second broadcast.

SageTV works with just about every type of tuner out there, including cable card tuners. Personally I have a Ceton 6 cable card tuner but it works with pretty much all of SiliconDust's equipment too. They also have a good Android client, web client, and even use to manufacture hardware to playback on.

You can find SageTV at www.SageTV.com, but the real action (and downloads) is found on their forums now - https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/

@neds - I would buy a Prime 3 when it is re-released, so please keep the updates coming!

billmich

Post by billmich »

I am also interested in a prime 3 - and don't want to miss out

wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Post by wtg »

billmich wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:37 am I am also interested in a prime 3 - and don't want to miss out
Same. Keep checking just to see if there's any info about them. Figure the sooner it's released the sooner I'm likely to not have trouble getting a new cable card activated. I'll be ordering the day it's available.

MikeMlodg

Post by MikeMlodg »

I have been waiting for this product for about a year and a half to help bring some normalcy for my wife as I switch out all my Tivos for android TVs. While I am disappointed with the 6 tuner version never coming out, I will have to settle for a 3 turner system. If priced right, I would consider purchasing two

breezytm

Post by breezytm »

If SD is worried about a kickstarter they can just do a community poll and see what happens.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan »

Is this thread not sending out email new post notifications? I never get an update about this thread while I do for other threads here.

BILLinMesaAZ

Post by BILLinMesaAZ »

NedS wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:18 pm
rpcameron wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:00 pm [*]It's been over 2 business days—and over half of a calendar week—since you've spilled the beans, but there has yet to be an official announcement. Is one still slated to be made? (The Prime 6 page is still live, and mentions it is still in development.)
[*]Is there any timeline for DRM recording availability? Many users supported the Kickstarter with the expectation that DRM would be made available to the DVR. While that was indeed years ago and Kickstarter backers haven't been additionally billed, it was still a promised feature that has yet to arrive.
(Additionally, I recall a post from 2+ years ago of Nick stating that he had DRM working in test builds; this indicates it is definitely possible on current third-party hardware. However, your statement seems to imply that only first-party hardware will be supported for the initial release. This additional hiccup appears to be ploy to garner more hardware sales while neglecting those who paid money for this long-promised feature; does SD have an official comment on this new status?)
[/list]
Letting it slip out in a forum post is a way to let the local community get wind of it first, see how people react, and plan from there. We've already had people yell at us and call us liars and dishonest just from what I've said (here and other places on the internet), and maybe some of that is just unavoidable, but we'd like to make this bad news as painless as possible (if possible).

We're also dealing with some word press issues with the website. Right now certain browsers don't even show anything at all when you view product pages, so the fact that the PRIME6 page is still up is pretty low on our priority list.

I'll let you in on a secret about the SCRIBE and SERVIO hardware: We barely make any profit on them. We saw them as a way to get people in on the DVR service, to make it easier than setting up a NAS. Once you have a DVR subscription, we are just as happy if you have your own DVR hardware, and we actually make more money that way.

Enabling DRM recording on SCRIBE/SERVIO is a short-cut, because we can control the hardware. Supporting the DRM recordings on other devices is coming, but it will require some additional software development (to satisfy the cablecard requirements). The options are: make everyone wait for DRM-recording, so they all get it at the same time, or let some customers get it as it becomes possible for various devices/platforms. That's all there is to it. There's no ploy.
I am totally dumbfounded and more than a little miffed. If you had the capability in your back pocket to enable DRM recording on SCRIBE/SERVIO, why the H*** didn't you do that to appease all of your CUSTOMERS who have been begging for a DRM solution in those markets where the cable co encrypted all channels???? It is pretty dumb to have tied DRM to the PRIME 6 for all these years and now announce you've run out of gas to pursue the PRIME 6 through certification. 'So we'll throw y'all a bone now while we make more promises that DRM on other devices is coming.' And how many times have you walked past, kicked, and perhaps put your coffee cups on those boxes -- wondering what was in them -- only to find a stash of SoC's because the move triggered the inspection. You're not that big of an outfit for this kind of stuff to have gotten lost in 500,000 square foot warehouse.

I've spent over $200 to keep my Prime 3 alive and connected to Cox solely in preparation for the day that I could drop in a DRM recording solution -- 'that's coming real soon.' If I want to watch the cable only channels live, I use the Cisco Mini box I rent from Cox on the big screen, especially since my generation Samsung Smart TV(s) does not play nice with SD. I can count on two hands the number of times I have actually used my Prime to watch any content.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

DRM support will be available on the SCRIBE and SERVIO when it's ready. It's not like they were intentionally holding it back, it just isn't ready yet. The hardware having the capability to support it doesn't mean they've actually got the software completed and ready.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 »

jasonl wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:02 pm DRM support will be available on the SCRIBE and SERVIO when it's ready. It's not like they were intentionally holding it back, it just isn't ready yet. The hardware having the capability to support it doesn't mean they've actually got the software completed and ready.
Guess they should of kept quiet the last 3 years before announcing it !

captain_video

Post by captain_video »

NedS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pmAnd we're still going to release DRM recording support. At first it will come out for the SCRIBE/SERVIO DVRs, because we were able to built those with special considerations for DRM ahead of time, but Nick thinks he can get things to work on the other software platforms.
Does this mean you'll be adding cablecard support for the SCRIBE/SERVIO models? Aside from cable and FIOS, what other DRM content can you record or watch?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

captain_video wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:06 am
NedS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pmAnd we're still going to release DRM recording support. At first it will come out for the SCRIBE/SERVIO DVRs, because we were able to built those with special considerations for DRM ahead of time, but Nick thinks he can get things to work on the other software platforms.
Does this mean you'll be adding cablecard support for the SCRIBE/SERVIO models? Aside from cable and FIOS, what other DRM content can you record or watch?
Both SCRIBE and SERVIO can record from a PRIME.

As for other DRM content, it turns out that ATSC 3.0 could have DRM content, and the work we've done for CableCARD DRM has a lot of overlap for the ATSC 3.0 DRM. For example, some companies have expressed interest in doing what is basically an OTA "cable" service (cable TV channels delivered over an ATSC 3.0 transmitter, and approved receivers and/or software can decrypt those channels), and ATSC 3.0 allows for that. So if that takes off, we want to try and support it, if possible.

turbotaylor

Post by turbotaylor »

I think after the FCC released the CableCard mandate it won't be long before you can't get one anymore. And honestly, I did the numbers and it's honestly no longer a cost savings.

I dug out my HomeRunPrime yesterday and went and got a cable card from Spectrum. The guy said this was the last one in their office.

With taxes and fees, for the cheapest cable package, it'll be $64.59 a month. YouTube TV has nearly the identical lineup with actually more sports for, you guessed it, $64.99 a month. With unlimited DVR and 6 simultaneous streams.

I also had to get the tuning adapter. Had lots of trouble activating the card and come to find out, my apartment has not been served with Spectrum (or Charter) since 2015!! We have Google Fiber at this complex and back when it was installed they were still doing the IPTV package, so I'm assuming that's what most people did. Now, between that time and the current streaming times, no one has bothered getting cable here. So now I have to make an appointment, wait for a tech to come out and figure out what is wrong with the wiring... It's no wonder people are DONE with cable. Talk about hassle.

Folks, do not expect SiliconDust to keep investing in this product. As another person said, the media center days are over and I think we all need to face it. I'm considering taking the cable card back, but idk maybe I want to enjoy these last few years of CableCard glory.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 »

turbotaylor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:59 am I think after the FCC released the CableCard mandate it won't be long before you can't get one anymore. And honestly, I did the numbers and it's honestly no longer a cost savings.

I dug out my HomeRunPrime yesterday and went and got a cable card from Spectrum. The guy said this was the last one in their office.

With taxes and fees, for the cheapest cable package, it'll be $64.59 a month. YouTube TV has nearly the identical lineup with actually more sports for, you guessed it, $64.99 a month. With unlimited DVR and 6 simultaneous streams.

I also had to get the tuning adapter. Had lots of trouble activating the card and come to find out, my apartment has not been served with Spectrum (or Charter) since 2015!! We have Google Fiber at this complex and back when it was installed they were still doing the IPTV package, so I'm assuming that's what most people did. Now, between that time and the current streaming times, no one has bothered getting cable here. So now I have to make an appointment, wait for a tech to come out and figure out what is wrong with the wiring... It's no wonder people are DONE with cable. Talk about hassle.

Folks, do not expect SiliconDust to keep investing in this product. As another person said, the media center days are over and I think we all need to face it. I'm considering taking the cable card back, but idk maybe I want to enjoy these last few years of CableCard glory.
As long as cable companies still support it, I will still continue to use a cablecard. In regards to streaming services providing unlimited DVR, what if YouTube TV decides it is no longer profitable to provide streaming, and shuts down the service, you will lose your DVR collection. What if a movie gets flagged as "racist" like for example, gone with the wind, youtube will remove it from your DVR to be "politically correct". It is not a true DVR, but more like an ondemand feature that gets booked marked as your DVR. as long as they still keep it in their database you are good to watch it on their platform. With SiliconDust, that movie is a file stored on my equipment that (as long as it isn't DRM when that becomes a possibility) can be watched on any platform and will only be removed when I want it removed, or my equipment dies without a backup. Even if SD changes it's business model and no longer provides this service, the files are still mine to watch. That is what is so great about this product that streaming will never provide.

dVIAN13

Post by dVIAN13 »

Ned, any news you can share?; regarding updates on prime6 still hanging around, or re-release of the prime3? Just had a prime3 go dead(will not power on). ;)