Serious audio sync problem on Android TV

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Serious audio sync problem on Android TV

Post by thedoomster »

I am now seeing the audio get badly out of sync with the video on my SONY Android TV with a Wired connection to my HDHR Prime. I've tried everything I can think of to find a workaround - changing channels, moving around the UI, switching from Early Access to not, exiting the app, doing a Force Stop on the app and restarting Android. I even rebooted the TA and Prime. Even if it momentarily gets in sync with a channel change, the video may stutter and get out of sync and the longer I run it the worse it gets out of sync. I see the same thing on Live Channels.

I do not see this at all on Windows or XBox.

PghCordCutter

Re: Serious audio sync problem on Android TV

Post by PghCordCutter »

I have been having these issues on most apps also. The worst is Disney +. There are hot fixes on Nvidia’s forums but there can be consequences for signing up for them.

vission

Post by vission »

Yep same here 2019 Shield Pro, Live Channels and even on Prime app it occurs, on Live Channels if I change channels then come back it gets back in sync for a while.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Those of you having this issue, please do the following so we can get some diagnostic data on this, as I haven't been able to reproduce it on my own set up. There's likely some other element that we need to account for, and I'm hoping we find a pattern among those having the issue.
  1. Please go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  4. Click System Status
  5. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  6. Go back one page
  7. Click Channel Lineup
  8. Click on Detect Channels
  9. After the scan finishes, open the HDHomeRun app
  10. Go into the app settings: the gear icon in the top right corner of the "Live/Recorded/Discover/Tasks" page
  11. Enable the option to Send diagnostic information
  12. Watch a problem channel for at least 10 minutes

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID at the top of the my.hdhomerun.com web page as well as on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster »

I did all the steps then launched Live TV but had no ARC audio (SONY issue) until I unplugged the TV then rebooted. It launched into ESPN2 ch 25 with unstable video (stop and starting) so couldn't tell if sync problem was there, then the app just closed after about a minute. Re-launched into ESPN2 (DRM), video better but no live talking so switched to Spectrum News ch 9 (not DRM) and it quickly got out of sync. It looks like the audio is way out ahead of video.

131CC070.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Looking into it.

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster »

I have two SONY Android TVs - a 2015 and a 2016 model. Last night on the 2015 model I noticed I had AC3 Passthru On, so I turned it Off. That seemed to clear up the problem. Then I looked on the 2016 set, and it was already Off so for grins I turned it On. Saw the problem (that's also the set I had enabled Send Diagnostics). I turned it Off and the problem seemed to clear up, especially the longer I watched. Then it occurred to me that I received the Android 8.0 update from SONY (for both sets) in the last month and don't recall using HDHOMERUN before posting this thread. Coincidence?

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

I have posted about this issue a few times on these forums and others. I have an 2017 LG OLED with a Vizio SB46514-F6 46" 5.1.4 Sound Bar connected to an NVIDIA Shield through ARC. I am also experiencing sync issues with my TCL Android TV. Looking through the NVIDIA forums, it looks like this has to do with Dolby Atmos processing ( https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... e/2736774/ ). I went into the Shield's advanced sound settings and manually turned off Dolby Atmos. This looks like it has solved my issues with my HDHomerun app on the Shield and with the other apps like Disney+ and Netflix. Unfortunately, I have lost Dolby Atmos until this problem has been fixed. The Android TV does not seem to have that option. Adjusting the audio sync delay does not seem to fix the issue.

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster »

I'm assuming that SD made no changes to address this specific issue, but I can report the issue for me is now completely resolved. After reporting this I began having video stuttering issues on all platforms and then on 8/11 I lost over half my cablecard channels on the Prime. Reported to Spectrum and they detected low cable signal strength and after a tech came out and corrected a loose cable connection outside my house, all my channels returned after rebooting and doing a channel scan. The occasional video stuttering and the audio sync issue is completely gone - after I turned off AC3 Passthru.

I'm wondering if the Shield users' issue was resolved my turning Off AC Passthru.