Can one use both Plex DVR and HDHhomeRun DVR together?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
themusj

Can one use both Plex DVR and HDHhomeRun DVR together?

Post by themusj »

I was wondering if a person could use the HDHomerun DVR service and the the Plex DVR service on the same hardware device (NAS in my case)? I would like to try the Plex DVR service and see if its conflict management works well. My HDHomeRun subscription expires in the fall. I'll either like it or I won't and if not I will stay with what I have now which is the HDHomeRun service.

I would not try to record the same programs on both, but would opt to record a single show on the Plex DVR at a free time from when the HDHomerun service is "not" recording. I would run Plex server portion on the same NAS as my HDHomerun DVR.

Anyone ever try this?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Can one use both Plex DVR and HDHhomeRun DVR together?

Post by foxbat121 »

I don't see why not as long as you understand that the two will not share a tuner. So, when both are recording, extra tuners will be used.

I have both HDHR DVR and WMC running on my Win7 box for almost a year now.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

themusj wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:55 am
I was wondering if a person could use the HDHomerun DVR service and the the Plex DVR service on the same hardware device (NAS in my case)? I would like to try the Plex DVR service and see if its conflict management works well. My HDHomeRun subscription expires in the fall. I'll either like it or I won't and if not I will stay with what I have now which is the HDHomeRun service.

I would not try to record the same programs on both, but would opt to record a single show on the Plex DVR at a free time from when the HDHomerun service is "not" recording. I would run Plex server portion on the same NAS as my HDHomerun DVR.

Anyone ever try this?
Plex assumes all tuners belong to it so will not check for tuner usage by other apps and move on to next available tuner. If plex tries to record to a tuner in use by other APPS it will fail ... even if their are other tuners available.

Jsherman

Post by Jsherman »

I have been running Plex and HDHR DVR on the same computer in my setup (W10) without issues. I should note that I do not have many recordings being taken care of on Plex and use it for a backup DVR as of now.

One tip I would give, is to set the recording paths to different locations. I did this for mainly MCEBuddy myself.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

EddieP wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:54 am
themusj wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:55 am

Anyone ever try this?
Plex assumes all tuners belong to it so will not check for tuner usage by other apps and move on to next available tuner. If plex tries to record to a tuner in use by other APPS it will fail ... even if their are other tuners available.
I have been doing this for years - please note the warning about Plex assuming it has access to all tuners and not checking (playing nice) with other DVR's. What I did to avoid this is set one HDHOMERUN DUAL with Red X's on all the channels so the SD DVR would not try to use it...that has seemed to work well as I have had no failed recordings - but I have lots of tuners (4 OTA HDHOMERUN boxes) so I can afford to dedicate 2 tuners to Plex in this way and still have 6 other tuners available to SD DVR. If you only have 1 HDHOMERUN box then this would not work for you.

Another limitation of PLEX DVR is that you cannot mix OTA and cablecard tuners in 1 PLEX DVR.... that may or may not apply to you but I have both types so could not have a cable tuner plus a OTA tuner set up in PLEX unless I set up 2 PLEX servers.

themusj

Post by themusj »

Great information. Today I installed Plex on my MyCloud Ext2. Apparently it is difficult with it to point to another WD Nas for the library. Just cannot get it to see it.

Probably just try the DVR on it tomorrow.