MECOOL KM9 Pro Deluxe supported?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
PTSD

MECOOL KM9 Pro Deluxe supported?

Post by PTSD »

I have a MECOOL KM9 Pro Deluxe Android 9.0 TV Box made by Videostrong Technology. It's on this unofficial list of Google certified Android TV boxes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =560573931

... and Google Play Services on the box confirms that "Device is certified". I've enrolled in the HD HomeRun app beta program and have the app version with "(Beta)" in the name installed on this box, and "Early access to new features" turned ON. However I see no place to enable DVR functionality. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is that my attached USB key is only 256GB instead of the "required" 500GB.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this device has DVR support with the HD HomeRun app? Thanks...

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: MECOOL KM9 Pro Deluxe supported?

Post by signcarver »

It does require 500GB (though i think I have heard 400 as the hard setting for such)... play/pause 13 times gets to that option (a few controllers require double taps so could be 26 times)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

For DVR use you are best using a USB 3.0 hard drive rather than a USB flash stick.

USB flash sticks tend to have odd performance characteristics and low rewrite cycles (favoring longer retention).

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

signcarver wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:03 pm
It does require 500GB (though i think I have heard 400 as the hard setting for such)... play/pause 13 times gets to that option (a few controllers require double taps so could be 26 times)
Ah-ha! Pressing Pause/Play half a dozen times on the remote included with this TV box brings up a Settings menu in Material Design format (vs. the menu accessible from the Gear icon). That menu includes a Record > Information item that when selected opens a window with this information:

Use this device for making recordings

Record Engine: DISABLED
Condition: No suitable record storage found.
Requires at least 500GB exFAT or NTFS drive.
Note: MS-DOS FAT drives are not supported.

So yeah, it looks like my 256GB USB key is the showstopper here. Thanks for the tip!
Last edited by PTSD on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

nickk wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm
For DVR use you are best using a USB 3.0 hard drive rather than a USB flash stick.

USB flash sticks tend to have odd performance characteristics and low rewrite cycles (favoring longer retention).
This is a SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive that I wasn't using for anything anyway. SanDisk's data sheet says "Write to drive up to 15X faster than standard USB 2.0 drives (4MB/s); up to 130MB/s read speed". Also, "It delivers write speeds that are up to 15x faster than with a standard USB 2.0 drive so you can move a full-length movie in less than 30 seconds."

But yeah the flash cells may cra@p out much sooner than spinning rust. On the plus side, it's about the size of a wireless keyboard dongle so fits well on the side of the TV box ("form over function" :^) -- which is why I already bought another one of the same type but twice the size. :oops: Seemed quicker and cheaper than buying a decent hard drive and external case...

When that 512GB flash drive arrives, and assuming that SanDisk's calculation of "512GB" is actually the same or larger size than SiliconDust's calculation of "at least 500GB", and we can actually get the Record Engine ENABLED on this TV box, then we may consider getting an external hard drive and case.

Will report back here on progress or lack thereof.

(Peter)

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Sure, it will write fast one (1) time. What happens after that is entirely dependent on the OS, interface, and drive all being capable of the OS notifying the drive of unused blocks and the drive erasing them, which most of us are familiar with as trim/unmap support. SSDs are incredibly fast at reads, very fast at writes of unused blocks, and slow as molasses in Antarctica in winter at erasing and rewriting used blocks. If that erase has to happen live because it couldn't be done beforehand in the background, it will ruin your day.

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

Android OS has supposedly included TRIM support since Jelly Bean 4.3 ?

https://www.engadget.com/2013-07-30-and ... vices.html

Though I don't know if this actually applies to anything other than internal eMMC, or to Android TV vs. the mobile OS. In any case, there is nothing about these recordings that will ruin my day if lost. Wife just wants to record her daytime soap operas to watch when she gets home in the evening. Though a fair warning to her about the possibility of losing recordings could be a bargaining chip for purchase of an actual hard drive, should anything actually be lost. 8-)

I did order this Vantec USB 3.1 Gen 2 case for 2.5" drives from Amazon yesterday, as it was cheaper than I expected:

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-E ... B072YLWP4Z

... and I already have a WD Scorpio Black 500GB drive that can be yanked out of a previous Windows-based MediaPortal PC if needed (assuming that the recording function on this HD HomeRun DVR actually works as expected).

But with any luck nothing will be lost to the whims of flash memory. We'll see!

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

I've now got a SanDisk "512GB" Ultra Fit USB 3.1 flash drive connected to this KM9 Pro Deluxe Android TV. I had to format the flash drive as a Portable device for HDHomeRun to recognize it as valid storage. Android TV says it's "494GB" but it's apparently big enough to satisfy HDHomeRun. "Use this device for making recordings" is now available and turned ON in HDHomeRun. "Send diagnostic information" is also turned ON (and the same setting is enabled on the tuner at http://192.168.x.xx/system.html).

I'm able to setup recording Tasks and also press Record in the control bar on Live TV, and have the program tile in Discover show the "red dot", etc. But no matter how I try to record a show, nothing ever shows up on the Recorded tab of the client. Live TV works fine and logging at http://192.168.x.xx/log.html accurately reflects tuning selections, etc. This is a CONNECT QUATRO HDHR5-4US and nothing else on my LAN is using the tuner while I am trying to record on the Android TV. I've successfully associated my tuner with my SD account at http://my.hdhomerun.com/account/register.html -- however, for some reason the License Management page for my subscription shows Status "Unassigned" for my License Key.

I don't believe this problem has anything to do with SSD TRIM functionality or lack thereof, etc. as we don't even seem to be getting to the point where files are being written to the flash drive. I've used the FX File Browser that's bundled with the Android TV install and confirmed that I can create and delete files and folders on the root of the USB flash drive. But there's nothing on the drive except for the default "Android" (app data) folder and "LOST+FOUND". The "com.silicondust.view" folder within the default Android folder contains only a few empty folders.

Is there any local logging facility for the HDHomeRun Android client? Hopefully SiliconDust support can check logs remotely... The device ID for my tuner is 1078183D. Thanks...

Edit: Ticket 136912 created to track this issue (hopefully to resolution).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Recording: filesystem sdcardfs:vfat not suitable for dvr use
Strange that the internal formatting option would use vfat. I have a Mecool box (one that claims to be Android TV certified) somewhere around here, let me dig it out and do some tests.

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

Thanks Ned for your speedy response!

I'm pretty sure that the Ultra Fit flash drive came formatted as exFAT, so "vfat" is definitely an artifact of this (particular?) MECOOL Android TV formatting process. Let me know if you think I should just format it externally (e.g. on a Windows box).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

You could try formatting it as exFAT on the PC, then plugging it back into the Mecool.

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

Yes, formatting as exFAT on my PC does work. I can finally record in HDHomeRun!

Might want to edit the instructions for Setting up DVR storage on a certified Android TV device ?

This text in the "Installing" section:
1. If you are using an external drive, attach it to the Android device and format it as “Use as removable storage”. You may need to format the drive first as “device storage”, then go back and reformat to get the “removable storage” option.

NOTE: If you are using SHIELD Experience 8.0, you will want to format the external drive using an Windows PC. Then when you plug it in, you will not need to set anything. The SHIELD will simply recognize the drive.
... could simply become this:
You will want to format the external drive as NTFS or exFAT using a Windows PC. Then when you plug it in, the Android TV will simply recognize the drive.
FYI, in FX File Explorer on this Android TV, the externally-formatted flash drive shows up as a "Media Card" separately from the "USB Drive" for the same drive. The "Media Card" is browseable with no special permissions. But if I attempt to gain permission to access the "USB Drive" I get the following error dialog:
This device does not appear to support the Android Storage Access Framework.
(Error: ACTION_OPEN_DOCUMENT_TREE not implemented by device.)
Note that Videostrong has released no Android updates for this hardware since the original OTA firmware was released on March 29, 2019 (yeah, probably full of security holes, as well as bugs like this?)

Thanks for your help Ned. You can close the ticket that I opened for this issue.

(Peter)

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

Is there any way for us mere mortals to see the log that you quoted this line from?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

PTSD wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:28 pm
Is there any way for us mere mortals to see the log that you quoted this line from?
It should be reported in the normal recording .log files that are saved in the recording directory. However, I don't know if the log files will be made if vfat is being used, as the DVR software considers that drive an invalid recording directory.

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

As far as I could see, there were no log files being written to the USB key until I formatted it as exFAT on my Windows PC.