Seems like a red dot really means MIGHT record

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
andyaz50

Seems like a red dot really means MIGHT record

Post by andyaz50 »

Right now, I see a red dot on an episode of Bob's Burgers at 10:30 pm, another red dot on The Tonite Show at 10:34, and a third red dot on The Late Show at 10:35 pm. But my HDHR Duo has but 2 tuners, so I already know that the 10:30 recording will start, then the 10:34, but the 10:35 will fail without warning and the red dot will still remain for the entire show. Occasionally, when setting up a recording, I'll be warned of a conflict, and answering "don't record the other show" will earn a red dot on the new show, but when the time comes to start recording, it doesn't. I had a DVR subscription in 2018, and then didn't renew until about a week ago, so I'm basically new to this but I don't remember having this problem 2 years ago and was surprised that I didn't find any mention of it in any of the forums. That makes me think that I must be doing something wrong, but what? I checked my configuration in HDHR setup, and it only shows 2 tuners. ????

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Seems like a red dot really means MIGHT record

Post by signcarver »

It behaves the same way as then but the dot is a newer indicator but only means it is a candidate to record as the engine will be instructed to record but may not if it already has the show or if there are tuner conflicts... for all practical purposes green check marks and gray dots are the same as far as the engine goes but are a better indication that those generally won't record at that time but might. Gray check marks generally means it won't be instructed to record as you instructed not to record that episode when you previously deleted it but there can be times when it comes time to record thar the data changes a program to come across as "new" that will cause it to record.

My suggestion would be to add more tuners if worried about such conflicts.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

signcarver wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:15 pm
My suggestion would be to add more tuners if worried about such conflicts.
I know you're not a SiliconDust employee, but is the party line regarding conflict management really "Buy more tuners"?

It seems a bit backward to say "We can't be bothered to write software that handles conflict management, so instead of worrying about recording conflicts just buy more of our hardware products."

Going back decades, WMC had great conflict management, cable company supplied STBs have conflict management, the dreaded T company that cannot be named has conflict management; so where is SD's conflict management? (Maybe it's be scheduled to be developed after they deliver DRM recording ... whenever that may be ...)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Hi,

The HDHomeRun DVR system doesn't know how many tuners there will be available at the future time of that recording. Tuners could, for example, be busy serving other apps, or a tuner which is busy now serving another app might become available in time to do the recording.

Conflict resolution is handles as follows...
First recordings are prioritized based on the priority you set in the tasks list (the high up the page the higher the priority).
Then the DVR tries all possible channels in priority order (important when you have multiple sources such as cable AND antenna).
Then the DVR ties a later timeslot.

Nick

andyaz50

Post by andyaz50 »

nickk wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:49 pm

The HDHomeRun DVR system doesn't know how many tuners there will be available at the future time of that recording. Tuners could, for example, be busy serving other apps, or a tuner which is busy now serving another app might become available in time to do the recording.

Nick
OK - I see how other apps could create unknown conflicts
HOWEVER

I have a TWO tuner model (that serves no other apps)
The DVR schedules THREE programs to record during the same time period.

Does the DVR not know that 3 is more than 2?
Or does it assume that I know about the conflict and will buy more tuners (fat chance!) before that future time?

Also, the subject of my post refers to HDHomeRun DVR documentation that says a red dot means WILL record, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that to be true.

MatthewLundberg

Post by MatthewLundberg »

I just opened another thread on missed recordings, but due to a different issue. I have 10 tuners which are never all in use and still shows are missed due to guide issues.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Understand, we are explaining how things work now, which is not necessarily how we would like things to work right now. There are a lot of ideas and improvements on the to-do list, and better reporting of conflicts is certainly on there.

themusj

Post by themusj »

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The HDHomeRun has conflict management, as explained above.

We are open to feedback and suggestions but falsely asserting that there is no conflict management doesn't help the discussion.

Nick

themusj

Post by themusj »

Wow, my post is deleted because we disagree on what the definition of conflict management is? I was neither rude, didn't use crude language, or state anything other than I understand conflict management as more than just the above.

To me conflict management is when more is set to record than there are available tuners to record them and you get a warning stating something to that effect. That warning would give you the option to edit your selections.

From what I see even earlier on this thread, others see the same definition.