HomeRun Prime - No Channels Detected

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tunatron

HomeRun Prime - No Channels Detected

Post by tunatron »

Hello,

I've activated a CableCard from Comcast today and it is detected in the Prime, but see no channels detected when completed. I see the tuners flipping through channels during the scan in their status pages.

Also noticed in status that the VCT ID is listed as "N/A"

I've run another channel scan recently with the "Send Diagnostics" option enabled, the tuner ID is 13141090.

Thank you!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HomeRun Prime - No Channels Detected

Post by signcarver »

The only time I have ever seen N/A for VCT ID is with sa/cisco/technicolor cards and that is expected in that section but comcast usually uses moto/arris and that would report a number (even if wrong)? Are you in a cisco area?

Most common problem with cisco cards is the status on the CA Screen not being ready which basically means it needs to be staged with the correct keys. Until a few years ago, I never would have thought it possible for cisco cards to have other issues in staging the channels to the card as it used to be more account based and never had an issue with multiple cards but some providers can put specific channels on specific cards rather than take the account settings (that was quite common with moto, and never saw it with cisco until I got a free card rather than a free DTA and they insisted the card should only be provisioned with the channels the DTA could get).

Edit: you also should probably look at the lineup page with a ?show=all at the end of the url
(i.e. <ip-of-prime>/lineup.html?show=all ) it is often easiest just to type ?show=all at the end in the browser when you are on that page and you may wish to change .html to .json though either will show channels you "aren't" subscribed to but not subscribed only means it could tune not necessarily "not subscribed"
Last edited by signcarver on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tunatron

Post by tunatron »

I'm on Comcast Xfinity - The card diagnostics says it is a Technicolor card, the label on the card itself says "Power Key, Scientific Atlanta"

The CA Screen says "Status: Not Staged" and "CA Time: Waiting for Update..."

This imply an issue on Comcast's end?

Thanks for you response.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Sorry... had a glitch in posting that edit that I couldn't connect to SD so it came in late.

Basically if not staged, they need to do the same command to it when they have an STB disconnected from the rf network for more than 30 days but they may need to forward such request to the DNCS operator. Generally with comcast when dealing with cisco areas, you are often better off with local support as I would guess 90% of comcast uses moto/arris (basically SA was bought by cisco who then recently sold to technicolor but generally people call those areas/cards cisco)

Edit: I am a little surprised that the time is waiting for update but that might also be dependent on having the correct keys.

tunatron

Post by tunatron »

The "Show All" from your edit shows 637 channels, each with a line through them.
I've gone ahead and got through tier 1 support from Comcast - have a level 2 tech calling back in "24-48 hours"

Would there be anything else I can do on my end?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

They have to send a hit to it to update current keys... this happens whenever a card hasn't been on the (rf) network for 30 days... since you got the channel list, i can more easily assume you are indeed in a Cisco area and have the correct card. You might try comcast direct on dslreports.com (though I think they are "closed" to reply until Monday) but if you have a local support number often they are required to fix this issue to get the proper command issued.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Do you have success for OOB Lock and does the System Status > System Log show the time updating correctly? That would at least confirm it's the right kind of CableCARD. There are a few places where Comcast often gives out the wrong kind of CableCARD, most notable Atlanta, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New Jersey, and Connecticut. This dates back to the horse trading that was done as part of the deal where Comcast and TWC picked up the remains of Adelphia after Adelphia went bankrupt.

tunatron

Post by tunatron »

OOB Lock shows "Success" and I see the system time in the log was updated correctly when it powered up.
I also notice "CableCARD: invalid session 0xDEAD (cchost_session:261)" in the logs before authentication was successful.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

That's normal for SA/Cisco/Technicolor CableCARDs. Everything seems to be fine with your cable line and setup, and the problem is exactly what signcarver said. CableCARDs have a built-in mechanism where if they don't receive anything from a cable provider in a certain period (usually 30 days) they will automatically deactivate themselves. This is a security mechanism to prevent cards from continuing to work even after service has been cancelled. If they haven't already fixed the problem, call them and ask them to sent a "cold hit" or "cold init". These are the magic words that usually work to get the card working when it's in this state.

tunatron

Post by tunatron »

I'm still waiting on a call-back from a Comcast tech but I will definitely ask about the "cold hit", thanks for confirming that. The responses here have been very helpful - I'll follow up when I hear back from Comcast, thanks all.

tunatron

Post by tunatron »

Follow up - called back and got a different tech, seemed to know exactly what the HomeRun was and seemed to know what the "cold hit" meant. He did something else and now everything is good.
Thanks for the information, all.