Automatic Deletion of HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
JDazell

Re: Automatic Deletion of HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Post by JDazell »

I vote yes Definitely YES. In fact make it an option per Recording, example - Recording every episode of StarGate, it would be nice to be able to set a limit on number of episodes recorded, and then automatically delete the oldest to record another. Do not make it total storage capacity based.

ErikNYC

Post by ErikNYC »

NedS wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 pm
No firm plans at the moment, but I would love to hear if more users feel this would be a valuable feature. There are certain situations that make a lot of sense for automatic deletion, such as the daily news.
This is definitely a necessary feature! I save the news everyday, if I do not watch it within 48 to 72 hours I will not watch it.

JonnyRX8

Post by JonnyRX8 »

+1 here... I'm not sure I would have paid for the service for a year if I had known it's not a feature of the system. I have been using the Plex DVR because of the lack of this feature.

HEJohnsonJr

Post by HEJohnsonJr »

NedS wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 am
I've been asking for that feature myself, I just want to demonstrate to the boss that others are as well ;)
Is there any update on this 'enhancement' request? It really should be considered 'core' functionality for any DVR product.

I expect that your efforts are focused on the upcoming release of the HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 product (which I supported on kickstarter).
Can you tell us if/when we can expect SiliconDust to add this essential capability?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Automatic deletion built-into the official software would be a long term feature request, of which I would not give any ETA on because I simply do not know how long it would take to implement, let alone how many other projects are a higher priority at the moment.

That being said, I am not a programmer, so this is just a guess on my part. I don't know all the details on how long something like this would take, nor can I provide a fix myself. All I can do is help provide solutions, and tell you that we are working on making it easier to interface with DVR storage, even on the SCRIBE and SERVIO, which will make third party options a lot more viable.

Automatic deletion is already possible on certain platforms using youzernaym's storage monitor: viewtopic.php?f=116&t=73856

If you use Kodi to watch your recordings, and Kodi has write access to the storage, then it can also handle things automatically using add-ons like this: https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Janitor

HEJohnsonJr

Post by HEJohnsonJr »

@NedS, thanks for your reply. I can appreciate the company's position, and having led development teams myself, I know how important it is to maintain priorities.
So, it sounds like we shouldn't expect this capability any time soon. Not the answer I was hoping for, but good to know, none the less.

That said, as an alternative, it appears that it is safe to simply delete files, or entire directories, from the DVR recordings collection using Windows File Explorer (file manager). This is certainly much easier than going through the HDHomeRun DVR UI and having to select and delete each recording one-by-one. This approach will work for me. Thanks, again.

dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Post by dcalder »

Not sure if it helps, but I can get through a bunch of episode deletes quickly with my remote simply by down arrowing to the episode then right arrow to the trash can, then hit OK then OK again (it's then gone), then arrow to the next episode (often it just goes to the next one I want to delete). Rinse and repeat. At least on my system it is very quick.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

HEJohnsonJr wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:25 am
That said, as an alternative, it appears that it is safe to simply delete files, or entire directories, from the DVR recordings collection using Windows File Explorer (file manager). This is certainly much easier than going through the HDHomeRun DVR UI and having to select and delete each recording one-by-one. This approach will work for me. Thanks, again.
Provided you don't mind re-record, as files that are just deleted from outside of app will re-record if the rule is still around and matches. Even "recent" (current season) will record again for episodes that originally aired in past 90 days, though if you are only interested in "new" there are other ways to force such through third party tools.

Personally I would hate such a feature that I didn't write and tailor for myself as then I would only have myself to blame when it inevitably deletes something you needed to keep as I have never seen such feature work 100% correctly.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

NedS wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 pm
No firm plans at the moment, but I would love to hear if more users feel this would be a valuable feature. There are certain situations that make a lot of sense for automatic deletion, such as the daily news.
Yes, much wanted feature and would put HD DVR on a par with other offerings in the market.

poorman

Post by poorman »

+1 to the auto deletion. Also would like a way to bulk delete. One at a time is crazy and takes forever. I'm almost out of space.

Would deleting them from the NAS through ssh be OK or would the DVR software go crazy?

Thank you,
Jay

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt »

poorman wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 am
+1 to the auto deletion. Also would like a way to bulk delete. One at a time is crazy and takes forever. I'm almost out of space.

Would deleting them from the NAS through ssh be OK or would the DVR software go crazy?

Thank you,
Jay
If you deleted it that way the DVR will re-record the episode when it airs again.

flobie

Post by flobie »

Thank you for heads up. I had signed up for subscription but just cancelled. Without this feature it’s not much use.

jeallen

Post by jeallen »

Adding my Vote. I primarily use my HomeRun for local news. I really only want to keep one episode or one day's worth.