hdhomerun expand Network Usage

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
hunwarrior

hdhomerun expand Network Usage

Post by hunwarrior »

Hi All,

Can someone please let me know on HDHomeRun expand (DVB-C) how much network bandwidth would use 1 HD channel stream?
I'm trying to find out the network usage of the device on the network to calculate the load if all the 4 channels are used at the same time streaming HD channel.

My intentions are using it over VPN (HomeRun device on one end & media server on other) and would like to know the network usage so I can match the WAN uplink speed.
If someone could measure it and provide accurate data that would be amazing but theoretical numbers from hardware documentation are also fine.

Thanks in advance :D
Regards,
Dan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: hdhomerun expand Network Usage

Post by signcarver »

Depends too much on provider and codec used for video. Luckily for most with dvb-c it will probably be h.264 rather than mpeg2 I usually figure a max of 16Mbps if mpeg2 and 12Mbps if h.264 but usually find most providers are much lower but it can be higher (I have heard of some 1080p h.264 being as high as 25Mbps). You should provide your region and provider to get more accurate information from users of that provider. The highest I have seen for the bit rate of a full channel has been around 40 Mbps but if the hardware properly handles 10MHz channels (which I think it does) it can go up to around 61.

Note the 3rd gen expands had gigabit connection (essentially a prime without cablecard and oob tuner repurposed) but the 5th gen only has 100Mbps so you know it can't exceed that.

hunwarrior

Post by hunwarrior »

Thanks for the info, 25Mbps would be awsome as probably I won't have more than 100Mbps upload speed.
It's strange that the newer generation has a slower network card but if the Gigabit card far from being used than it's a good point for cost-saving in manufacturing :D
Do you know in case of not enough bandwidth is the picture quality will be lowered or this is something depends on the receiver side (software/server) ?

Thanks again for your help!
Regards,
Dan

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Typical HD channel data rates in Europe are around 6-8Mb/s. That's pretty much the sweet spot for H.264 720p/1080i anyway, with very little perceptible improvement at higher data rates. 4K content would potentially use much more, but 4K content is still quite limited, and most of the good stuff requires an access card so it doesn't apply to the HDHomeRun EXPAND anyway.