HDHomeRunn on Android

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

HDHomeRunn on Android

Post by GGRussell »

Is there anyway you can design the app to use external storage on Android (like SD Card) to cache guide, etc.? I have one tablet with only 16GB internal and I keep running out of memory and can't update anything. I have a 32GB SD card but very few apps can be moved to the SD or utilize it for storage. This is one aspect of Android I find very annoying.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRunn on Android

Post by NedS »

I took a look at my Android TV box and it shows the app, cache, and app data, all together only take up about 70 MB.

GGRussell

Post by GGRussell »

I have two Android boxes and HDHomeRun is the ONLY app installed. Not an issue on those. But on my tablets with apps and games, I can't even update HDHomeRun at all because of memory. Even though HDHomeRun uses very little storage, would still be nice if users could move the app and cache to SD Card. Just my personal opinion, but I feel that ALL user installed apps should be capable of being moved to SD Card. Android OS and Google apps take up way too much space. I wish I could uninstall most of the Google apps i don't use.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Google offered the feature called Adoptable Storage in Android OS. With it, you should be able to configure your external storage as adoptable storage. And apps just need to be compiled to allow use of adoptable storage (a simple change by app devs). That's already there since Android 8 or so. But I looked at my new Samsung Tablet and it doesn't offer the Adoptable storage option at all with it running Android 9. The tablet comes with nearly 20+ GB used out of box (it does have 128GB of total storage). So I can't imagine how a 8GB tablet can operate.

On the other hand, most of my Android TV boxes are 8GB only and work fine.

GGRussell

Post by GGRussell »

After reading up on this a bit, appears this feature (format as internal storage) isn't available on every device. I can only assume that is a choice of the manufacturer. It's not available on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (2016 model) with Android 8. But it can use a file based encryption so apps like HDHomeRun could still keep their data 'secure' on the SD card. I'll have to check my other devices. I have one Android Box with 6 and another one with Android 9. My phone also has 9.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Looks like Samsung doesn't like this option (maybe forcing you to buy a more expensive unit with larger storage).
There are a lot of issues related to using these cheap external storage:
1. Speed. SD cards are notoriously slow due to its unique interface design and physical limitations. Using it to cache too much data will cause system slow downs.
2. Reliability. What happened when user accidentally ejected the external storage. Apps need write complicated code to handle this.

The adoptable storage sounds like Google's way to help #2 above.

Apps and initial app data, e.g. game data files, are still installed to the system partition. That's where most of the storage went. App cache are not that big of a deal. Certainly not on HDHR app as pointed out.